Subject: What's your favorite Occupation card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I've only played the Family Game so far, and I'm interested in which Occupations people like the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Farrow
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, the Layabout! Play it in the first 4 turns when you won't have anything planted or any animals anyway, and you don't need to worry about feeding your people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
I've only played the Family Game so far, and I'm interested in which Occupations people like the most.

Depends on what you mean by "like," I suppose. I like the Taster, a very powerful card, but my crew figures it's broken, so we don't allow its use any more. I also like the Businessman, which gives you an extra Minor play when you take Starting Player; you have to use him judiciously, though. The Master Forester is extremely nice for alleviating wood collection problems. The Woodcutter's pretty nice, too, as are the Wood Carver and the Wood Collector and Wood Distributor.

The Well Builder is okay, too, especially in conjunction with the Merchant. I'm also partial to the Grocer, depending on how effective a food engine I have running.

Much of the time, though, Occupations will work best in concert with other Occupations and/or Minor Improvements, and sometimes certain Occupations become more useful depending on what your opponents do (e.g. the Slaughterman when several opponents are relying on frying meat as their food source).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
While objectively not the "best," my favorite occupation to get is the Baker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
That's almost an impossible question to answer.

There are just too many occupations many of which fall into different categories making them hard to compare. Favorite is hard to classify cause like its been said most only work well with other cards. If by favorite you mean best I'd have to say occupations that are always good to play like the thatcher or berry picker rather than ones that can be very good or bad depending on the flow of the game.

The 3 absolute most powerful occupations in the game are the Wet Nurse, the Taster, and the Mail Coach Driver. The first 2 are in the K and I deck and should probably always be removed if you have experienced players playing. The last is in the Z deck which we never use and it is the absolute most powerful card to get out early. I suggest never putting these in (Specially the taster and MC Driver) cause whoever has to play against these would just be miserable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
The 3 absolute most powerful occupations in the game are the Wet Nurse, the Taster, and the Mail Coach Driver. The first 2 are in the K and I deck and should probably always be removed if you have experienced players playing. The last is in the Z deck which we never use and it is the absolute most powerful card to get out early.

I disagree on the The Mail Coach Driver. It changes the game rules and gives its owner a slight advantage, but it's not as huge as other cards like the Taster or Wet Nurse, or even Seasonal Worker. It's possible to work around it and even make it work to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwfiv wrote:
Believe it or not, the Layabout! Play it in the first 4 turns when you won't have anything planted or any animals anyway, and you don't need to worry about feeding your people!

Alternatively, Layabout+Holiday Home almost makes Holiday Home break even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always happy to see the Baker in my hand. Field Watchman (I think) is very powerful, maybe not broken but definitely advantageous. It says every time you take the 1 grain action you may also plow 1 field. In a game that is all about efficient use of limited actions, this is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I'm always happy to see the Baker in my hand. Field Watchman (I think) is very powerful, maybe not broken but definitely advantageous. It says every time you take the 1 grain action you may also plow 1 field. In a game that is all about efficient use of limited actions, this is huge.

I would argue this as the most "broken" card, even though I don't really think any cards are really "broken." But for this card, whoever has played has won pretty easily, since they can set up a farming operation before the first harvest and still have actions left for gathering building materials and oven materials. It's definitely a net +2 action (or even more!) benefit for playing, and the benefit accrues early in the game. (Consider that Wet Nurse is a net +2 action/-3 food card and people usually complain about that one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a little off-topic from the thread, but I don't think the Wet Nurse is over-powered. Basically, it nets you two actions, if you grow your family three times. You have to use one action to play the occupation and then you can "save" three actions by not ever taking the family growth space. There are plenty of occupations that net more than 2 actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwartz
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My favorite Occupation card is the Wood Distributor. Aside from nearly making up for his opportunity cost by handing me 2 wood upon his arrival, he allows me a level of control over the meta-game that flummoxes *all* of my opponents simultaneously.

Let's be practical, here: everybody needs wood. Early rooms. Stables. Fences. Improvements. And so forth. The pace of the game may not be ruled by wood, but it's certainly heavily influenced by it, especially in the early game. A first round Wood Distributor sends all of that into hell. My own, personal hell, where I am large and in charge and everyone else hates me. Good times.

I find him especially delicious in games where I'm oftentimes the Start Player. Oh, gee, am I taking reed today? Think I'll throw myself some wood, too. Oh, do I have some *other* Occupation who lets me gain something whenever I take wood? Then I'll take wood *and* whatever's on the space *and* my bonus, thanks awfully. Oh, gee -- you have an Occupation that lets you gain something whenever you *only* take Clay? Sorry; the Wood Distributor has shut you down.

Later on in the game, I'll oftentimes just leave the 3 wood on the space, under the auspices that I'm expecting others to take clay and reed and such, but I'm not intending to do so myself that round. If, when the smoke clears, no one has taken the 3 wood, and I have Start Player, then I can choose not to distribute again, and just take all six. Thus, I'm somewhat immune to my own power. Conversely, anyone who does take Start Player in the bitter hopes of gathering a quick six wood is going to have his hopes dashed asunder. Consequently, players are that much less likely to steal Start Player from me; it's less useful to others as a result of my control over the 3-Wood space.

The Wood Distributor! He's the bestest. Plopping him down makes my opponents groan. I even got him once just after telling my friends how much I love the card. It's karma, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think the Manufacturer (I think that's his name) is wonderful. Build the Pottery, Joinery, Basketmaker's Workshop as minor improvements AND pay two fewer resources for each you say? Brilliant.

The thing is, you can earn several extra VPs due to getting those things without having to pay the resources you're deficient in (often, but not always, stone). And because they count as minor improvements, you can shamelessly hog Start Player at the same time.

I rather like the Market Woman as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I groaned and complained about the manufacturer last game, then beat him with a couple lame green grocer and hog whisperer cards.
He is pretty bad ass though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played at the weekend and I managed to lay down 'The Turner'. This is the first time I've ever had one of the resource gobblers, being able to munch wood really took the heat off the early game. I did end up winning but I struggled in the mid game as I realised I was eating all my fencing and building material

Luckily, I also had the chamberlain occupation which gave me (and only me) access to the actions in rounds 12-14 from round 11. This seemed very powerful but it was great fun to be able to use these actions at will for a couple of rounds (and revel in the jealousy of the other players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
dwfiv wrote:

How do you get this to work? You'd have to play Layabout in the last round (as he makes you skip the next Harvest), but Holiday Home stops you from playing any Family Members in the last round.

My favourites have been mentioned already: Field Watchman and Chamberlain. I'd rather have the Field Watchman than the Wet Nurse or Mail Coach Driver. Taster may be more powerful, but it's not as fun because everyone else gets annoyed.

I also enjoy the Gardener, for the endless stream of Vegetables he provides to feed your family with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoffmanmw wrote:
I know this is a little off-topic from the thread, but I don't think the Wet Nurse is over-powered. Basically, it nets you two actions, if you grow your family three times. You have to use one action to play the occupation and then you can "save" three actions by not ever taking the family growth space. There are plenty of occupations that net more than 2 actions.

BUt it also speeds up the acquisition of new family members, which nets even more actions. LEt's say the first Family Growth action pops up in turn seven but you get the Wet NUrse in play quickly and expand early (turn 5, we'll say). THat's +2 actions compared to your opponents.

I suppose one counter-balancing element is that it reduces the competition for the Family Growth place since one player doen't need it to expand. But still, we played with it once and quickly removed it from the game.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:
dwfiv wrote:

How do you get this to work? You'd have to play Layabout in the last round (as he makes you skip the next Harvest), but Holiday Home stops you from playing any Family Members in the last round.

My favourites have been mentioned already: Field Watchman and Chamberlain. I'd rather have the Field Watchman than the Wet Nurse or Mail Coach Driver. Taster may be more powerful, but it's not as fun because everyone else gets annoyed.

I also enjoy the Gardener, for the endless stream of Vegetables he provides to feed your family with.

Layabout+Holiday Home. Play Laybout in the penultimate round. You will skip the harvest at the end of that round. You will still of course face the harvest at the end of the last round. However, this is functionally equivalent to skipping the harvest in the last round- the net effect is you face one harvest not two as you would normally with Holiday Home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Holiday home would perhaps be useful, if it didn't cost anything. And maybe not even then in the most cases...

Layabout doesn't make it much better, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:
Holiday home would perhaps be useful, if it didn't cost anything. And maybe not even then in the most cases...

Layabout doesn't make it much better, really.

The only time I managed to get in Holiday House (as a lark, mostly) I lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
You may like to check this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/374026
in which people vote for their 20 (!) most powerful occupation cards. Certain ones there have gathered lots of votes - at the moment, Baker, Field Watchman, Wet Nurse, Conservator and Carpenter are the ones with more than 10 votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is the Grocer. Its not the best, though it is pretty good. Its fun to get a nice variety of goods, including an early vegetable and stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My top three would be the baker, the field watchmen, and the seasonal worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Malek
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all...
badge
...and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I'm particularly fond of the Seasonal Worker, for that early game boost. I just had a game where he came out and I also got Clay Pits out fast, so every time I went to the day laborer spot I reaped huge rewards. I'm hoping to see him with the Quarry some time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.