Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean is this: I would be playing this with my fellow Christians who believe the Genesis account that God crweated Adam and Eve on the 6th day, and that they weren't some kind of "lesser homosapiens", or what we call "Cavemen". If this game is only trying to represent ancient humans trying to live off of the land and gather resources, then none of us would have any problem with this game. But if there are activities, cards, etc that are either suggesting evolution or some kind of half-man, half-ape people, then it might bother some.

Please do not attack my beliefs, as I do not attack yours. The people that I play with are open minded enough to accept a premise of a "Stone Age", but may cringe if it goes much further than that. If the rules imply this I will not be offended, as my children and my peers will not be reading the rules.

Thanks for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing that I can think of that would be offensive to a Creationist. The cards only have "civilization" symbols on them or multipliers. Nothing "evolutionist" about the game, only that we evolved civilization, maybe? I think you're okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiboko Hippo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't see it as being offensive since if you're the one explaining the game, you can couch it in terms of collecting resources and scoring points by building huts and collecting cards. Break out the game and let them enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I play this game regularly with all Christians. We all love it and find nothing offensive about the mechanics or theme.

The only thing I could even see being a remote possibility depending on the level of sensitivity is one of the civ cards with a fertility goddess depicted on it. But seeing as how there are actual artifacts of similar items, I find it difficult to see anyone offended by it (middle row, first and second column):

Other than that, a great game that I am sure you all will enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything here to offend. The people in the game, just like real life, just blinked into existence fully formed and developed....just a really long time ago.

edit: I'm a christian myself, mostly. I don't follow any strict doctrine so sorry if I came off wrong. There really is nothing here to offend anyone, unless they are working overtime to be offended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with the fertility goddess symbol, however the game rules refer to them as art so I would just call them that.

The people in the game don't live in caves, but in huts so that might help as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the art symbol is a fertility fetish, but the question wasn't about stuck up prudes, it was about creationists. The game has nothing Darwinian. It's about primitive people. It could be cast in the time of Abraham, or modern primitives in the Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The themes involved in the gameplay are building huts with stone and wood, gathering those materials and gold, gathering food, feeding, growth of your clan (multiplying), and simple civilization advancement (the cards).

About the statuette found in some civilization cards, its a representation of the Venus of Willendorf, a very important and known archaeological piece currently found in the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna. It exists just like the person who sculpted it did.

The game is very inoffensive and family oriented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is confusing to conflate the terms Creationist and Christian. The vast majority of the world's Christians are not Creationists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of many games that utilize Darwin's theory of evolution (other than the obvious Evo).

Are there many such games? I can think of several heathen games, such as Amun-Re, where you make a sacrifice to the ancient god of the Egyptians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Kelton
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
photocurio wrote:
I can't think of many games that utilize Darwin's theory of evolution (other than the obvious Evo).

Are there many such games? I can think of several heathen games, such as Amun-Re, where you make a sacrifice to the ancient god of the Egyptians.

Primordial Soup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The game contains nothing about evolution. More important, the game isn't the least bit polemical, unless the use of shaman and skirt-wearing lumberjacks count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
the game isn't the least bit polemical, unless the use of shaman and skirt-wearing lumberjacks count.

Indeed.

We know shamans exist in tribal societies, so this isn't even really an issue of "faith" at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think the fact that marriage vows have not been exchanged before two meeples reach the breeding hut might be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
I'd think the fact that marriage vows have not been exchanged before two meeples reach the breeding hut might be an issue.

Nice.
"Breeding hut" ... that's outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dolzan
Slovenia
Komenda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
What I mean is this: I would be playing this with my fellow Christians who believe the Genesis account that God crweated Adam and Eve on the 6th day, and that they weren't some kind of "lesser homosapiens", or what we call "Cavemen". If this game is only trying to represent ancient humans trying to live off of the land and gather resources, then none of us would have any problem with this game. But if there are activities, cards, etc that are either suggesting evolution or some kind of half-man, half-ape people, then it might bother some.

Please do not attack my beliefs, as I do not attack yours. The people that I play with are open minded enough to accept a premise of a "Stone Age", but may cringe if it goes much further than that. If the rules imply this I will not be offended, as my children and my peers will not be reading the rules.

Thanks for your help

Of course it's offensive. I cannot see how anyone can accept the premise of a Stone age while simultaneously believing in Genesis. Stone age started 2.5 million years ago, and the Earth is about 6000 years old according to Creationists. Isn't that slightly contradictory and offensive to our reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you are a young earth creationist, then concept of Stone Age could be offensive?

But perhaps you could regard it as a fantasy?

[edit] Posted the same time as the post above. So let me elaborate. There are two types of creationists... the Young Earth Creationists (YEC) and the others who accept the age of the real age of the earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dolzan
Slovenia
Komenda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I think it is confusing to conflate the terms Creationist and Christian. The vast majority of the world's Christians are not Creationists.

By being not Creationist you mean that they do not believe that the world was created by God? Or is this some other use of the phrase "not Creationist" that I do not know about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dolzandavid wrote:
Sphere wrote:

By being not Creationist you mean that they do not believe that the world was created by God? Or is this some other use of the phrase "not Creationist" that I do not know about?

All Christians beleive in the creation of the universe (or should) but that is not what a 'creationist' is. A creationist is a person who beleive that man, and other species were created as they are. That is they deny the facts of evolution (macro evolution) and concepts of a common ancestor.

But most Christians beleive in evolution (although guided by God).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
dolzandavid wrote:
Of course it's offensive. I cannot see how anyone can accept the premise of a Stone age while simultaneously believing in Genesis. Stone age started 2.5 million years ago, and the Earth is about 6000 years old according to Creationists. Isn't that slightly contradictory and offensive to our reason?

This makes sense, though it sounds like the OP (and maybe his group) would be able to view it as a "fictional" game environment. Since he'll be the one explaining the game, he can frame it in that light if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dolzan
Slovenia
Komenda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
dolzandavid wrote:
Sphere wrote:

All Christians beleive in the creation of the universe (or should) but that is not what a 'creationist' is. A creationist is a person who beleive that man, and other species were created as they are. That is they deny the facts of evolution (macro evolution) and concepts of a common ancestor. Therfore they could be offended by the notion that this is not the case, but that we that we in fact are apes.

So, if the vast majority of the world's Christians are not Creationists, you're telling me they actually accept the evolution? So then, why on earth could they be offended by evolution at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dolzandavid wrote:
marqzen wrote:
dolzandavid wrote:
Sphere wrote:

All Christians beleive in the creation of the universe (or should) but that is not what a 'creationist' is. A creationist is a person who beleive that man, and other species were created as they are. That is they deny the facts of evolution (macro evolution) and concepts of a common ancestor. Therfore they could be offended by the notion that this is not the case, but that we that we in fact are apes.

So, if the vast majority of the world's Christians are not Creationists, you're telling me they actually accept the evolution? So then, why on earth could they be offended by evolution at all?

Were not talking about a vast majority - only a majority

Appearently the poster and his friends belong to the large minority of American Christians who do not beleive in Evolution and who thus are Creationists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play The Pillars of the Earth or Cuba instead, saves a 2 week discussion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
The game contains nothing about evolution. More important, the game isn't the least bit polemical, unless the use of shaman and skirt-wearing lumberjacks count.

I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspendies and a bra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knight wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:

I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspendies and a bra...

... I wish I was a girlie - just like my old papa !..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.