David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the first printing of Galaxy Trucker, and have purchased "The Big Expansion", then you've probably realized that the components don't match up. You also probably read this forum and discovered the Czech games had a free upgrade to attendees at Essen, and that they're working with Rio Grande to get them to us.

There's been some frustration that there's been little communication since then, but I have confidence that if Jay's got them that he'll get them to us.

Anyway, I emailed both Rio Grande and Thoughthammer regarding the whole thing. I'll let you know what I find.

I invite them both to reply to this thread directly, if they wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
The reply I got from Jay was he hoped to have them later this month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's listed on Boards & Bits...just out of stock...don't know if it's actually come in yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
It's listed on Boards & Bits...just out of stock...don't know if it's actually come in yet...

I talked to Boards & Bits and they did say they were getting it, just not sure what the price would be. So they put up a page for it so you can easily link it to your account for notification when its available.

I plan to buy it and the expansion both from them when this is ready to order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep Scott, here's a link:

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=21...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed RGG about 1 month ago and Jay responded as follows:

"I expect the packs next month and hope to make them available through normal distribution."

So, expect them in stores soon. I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay responded to a different thread, thought I'd post it here.

Jay From Rio Grande Games wrote:
Regarding the upgrade pack, Petr has told me that he has sent me a supply to my German warehouse and they have said they have sent them to me. Unfortunately, there is some confusion as to when they were sent. Thus, I am watching each container as it arrives for them and will let everyone know via my website when they arrive and how they can be obtained. I have made tentative arrangements with my warehouse to acquire packages (the parts come without any packaging) for them and to ship them out to those requesting them. Once they arrive, my warehouse will determine what their costs will be to send them out and I will then advise you all how you can get them. Thansk for your patience.

Jay
Rio Grande Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a response from Thoughthammer:

Quote:
We have only sold the RGG version of Galaxy Trucker, but we plan to carry
the compatibility kits as long as they are made available to our US
distributors. We do not know a lot about the kits at this time, but we
will post information to our site as soon as we know more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this may be a little bit out of the subject.

But, here is the reply from Troll and Toad:
Quote:
The upgrade kit looks like it'll be direct from Rio Grande. If it comes through normal distribution channels we will carry it. I've no idea on a cost currently, as it hasn't been solicited by any distributor.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
I got a response from Thoughthammer:

Quote:
We have only sold the RGG version of Galaxy Trucker, but we plan to carry
the compatibility kits as long as they are made available to our US
distributors. We do not know a lot about the kits at this time, but we
will post information to our site as soon as we know more.

This is a nice improvement from Thoughthammer's previous position, which was that they were not going to carry the Kits. It looks like we've made enough noise that more online retailers are at least considering carrying the Kits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
This is a nice improvement from Thoughthammer's previous position, which was that they were not going to carry the Kits.

When did they say that? I never heard it posted here. I haven't seen any change in anyone's position, it is just that no one knows yet how to get the kits or what will be involved in distributing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:
This is a nice improvement from Thoughthammer's previous position, which was that they were not going to carry the Kits.

When did they say that? I never heard it posted here. I haven't seen any change in anyone's position, it is just that no one knows yet how to get the kits or what will be involved in distributing them.

Rio Grande is bringing them over, and they'll be available through normal distribution channels to US retailers.

What we don't know is when and how much

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:

And really the biggest problem is how to distribute them only to people who actually have the base game. Since the "upgrade kit" is 90% of a complete, playable game, there is obviously a temptation for people who don't have the game to just try to get a copy of the kit. But there won't be nearly enough for actual owners if they are given out like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

And really the biggest problem is how to distribute them only to people who actually have the base game. Since the "upgrade kit" is 90% of a complete, playable game, there is obviously a temptation for people who don't have the game to just try to get a copy of the kit. But there won't be nearly enough for actual owners if they are given out like that.

I didn't know that until you told everyone

But I doubt it will be a huge problem. And I'm sure not everyone will want the kit. I think we'll be ok.

If not, some people will be forced to buy the newer edition and trade/sell the old one, or maybe a gift to a non-gamer.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
But I doubt it will be a huge problem.

I've heard it was a big problem at Essen. People lining up to cart off multiple copies of the upgrade kit.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything but I'm not convinced pretending the problem doesn't exist will reduce it.

The original idea was supposed to be to collect a component from the original game so that the kits would only go to actual owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
But I doubt it will be a huge problem.

I've heard it was a big problem at Essen. People lining up to cart off multiple copies of the upgrade kit.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything but I'm not convinced pretending the problem doesn't exist will reduce it.

I got the upgrade kit flagged at Boards & Bits to notify me immediately when it comes in. I plan to buy it and the Expansion. I'm certainly hoping a bunch of people wanting a cheap version of the game don't snipe me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miczek
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game so bad on its own that it needs an expansion to be good? i just don't see why everyone is so upset about not be able to expand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiczek wrote:
Is this game so bad on its own that it needs an expansion to be good? i just don't see why everyone is so upset about not be able to expand it.

No, it's so good that everyone wants to expand it!

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika K.
Finland
KAIPOLA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

And really the biggest problem is how to distribute them only to people who actually have the base game.

Why not use serial number found from sticker on the inside of the box lid? Register game and expansion with serials and you get upgrade kit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiczek wrote:

Four players w/out expansion; five players with expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

I emailed Thoughthammer a couple of months ago and they replied with something to the effect of, "Because they have only sold the Rio Grande version, they would not be carrying the upgrade kits." If I still have the email at home I'll let you know the exact date and wording of their reply.

EDIT - Found the email, dated 12/5/2008:

Hello Matt,

There are no plans to distribute the Galaxy Trucker Compatibility Kit in the US as far as we can tell. The first edition of the game was sold by CGE, so you may need to go to them directly for the kit. It is possible that RGG may carry it at some point, but since they published the second edition it is doubtful.

If the compatibility kit is made available to US distributors we will be happy to carry it, but until then we are unable to obtain it.

We appreciate your business, and please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Shelly

Thought Hammer Customer Service

This wasn't as bad as I had remembered, they just had no idea how to get it back then. Anyway, it's good to see they plan to carry it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that Rio Grande has these available for $11, which just covers the shipping.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/395232
http://www.riograndegames.com/news.html?id=18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.