I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Microbadge: To infinity ... and beyond!Microbadge: EastFront fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
I'll volunteer my copy of Tumblin-Dice. There should be enough yelling to attract anyone who can't find us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
so any word on a final time of the swap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Global Religious Tolerance
lorna wrote:
so any word on a final time of the swap?
I was thinking of doing it Saturday morning so people could get it out of the way, but I'd hate to have people miss it if they weren't at the con yet. What seems like the best time to run it?

Poll: When should we have the GameStorm trade swap?
What time should we have the game swap to exchange games from the GameStorm 11 Math Trade?
8:00 am Saturday morning
9:00 am Saturday morning
10:00 am Saturday morning
11:00 am Saturday morning
12:00 noon Saturday
1:00 pm Saturday afternoon
Other (please add a comment with your suggestion)
      31 answers
Poll created by themilkcrate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: Civilization Games fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: I've played games on a trainMicrobadge: Deep Thought Games fan
Will you be using priorities in TradeMaximizer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I will be using the option that optimizes the number of people trading, so priorities are not used. Of course, this metric only chooses from the trade sets that optimize the number of trades - but among the several trades with the maximum possible number of games trading, it will select the one that involves the most traders.

The idea behind this is to involve as many members of the community as possible, and hopefully have even more people walk away from the trade happy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
Microbadge: To infinity ... and beyond!Microbadge: EastFront fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
I think that 9am is fine. Whatever we choose, a few people won't be able to make it. They can always make other arrangements or deliver/pickup via a proxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love PortlandMicrobadge: I love JapanMicrobadge: Portland Trailblazers fanMicrobadge: Pu-Erh drinkerMicrobadge: Rainbow
Anytime noon or later is probably good for the exchange. If GameStorm was more conveniently located, or if I didn't expect late night gaming to be better than early morning gaming (based on past experience and personal day/night preference), I might be more flexible. If it's earlier, I probably won't make it. And I definitely don't want to look back and feel that an inconveniently scheduled exchange significantly diminished my Friday night/Saturday GameStorm experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The poll above is pretty evenly balanced at the time that I'm posting this. My guess is that the earlier time may be difficult for those who have to work on Friday and will be commuting to GameStorm on Saturday morning. I guess I'm leaning towards doing it at noon.

That way people can plan for a solid morning of gaming (or sleeping in, or driving) and make the swap and have a lunch break. Any objections or other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War fanMicrobadge: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer fan - Power IconMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Lost in Subscription!
I can schedule around it or arrange for a proxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
I'm booked solid with games from 10-2 on Sat.

Gamestorm is a 4 day event. The folks I know coming from out of town are arriving in plenty of time before Saturday morning. So I'd push for the morning just because it isn't in the middle of things, but I can always find a proxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
rgatti wrote:
If GameStorm was more conveniently located...
Gamestorm is conveniently located, and Vancouver is the cultural Mecca of the region. Or hadn't you noticed? Consider it a character building pilgrimage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Any Seattle traders willing to serve as a proxy and deliver some games to GameStorm?

I've got a trader who can't make it down, but who would like to participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love PortlandMicrobadge: I love JapanMicrobadge: Portland Trailblazers fanMicrobadge: Pu-Erh drinkerMicrobadge: Rainbow
autumnweave wrote:
rgatti wrote:
If GameStorm was more conveniently located...
Gamestorm is conveniently located, and Vancouver is the cultural Mecca of the region. Or hadn't you noticed? Consider it a character building pilgrimage.
I did the character building pilgrimage thing last year. Now I expect more, but I'll still end up settling for at least six 45 minute treks (possibly eight if I go all 4 days, but Thursday isn't looking likely due to the distance, conflicting evening events, and lack of free parking.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
I'll have to see if I can scout the downtown area ahead of time and see if I can figure out where there's some free or at least inexpensive all day parking.

I was also thinking of putting together a list of places to eat, because I know people aren't going to want to eat all their meals at the hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iken Owens
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Thrift Store JunkieMicrobadge: Incursion fanMicrobadge: Blackadder fanMicrobadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: Red Dwarf fan
autumnweave wrote:
I was also thinking of putting together a list of places to eat, because I know people aren't going to want to eat all their meals at the hotel.

That would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: Civilization Games fanMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: I've played games on a trainMicrobadge: Deep Thought Games fan
krazygit wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

Definitely. The hotel won't allow outside food, which stinks, since their selection in the "restaurant" (which is really a bar with a bit of food) has virtually nothing vegetarian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
People won't be required to meet at the 'approved' time, will they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Microbadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 2018 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
TheCat wrote:
krazygit wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

Definitely. The hotel won't allow outside food, which stinks, since their selection in the "restaurant" (which is really a bar with a bit of food) has virtually nothing vegetarian.
You can't even bring a sandwich in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
TheCat wrote:
People won't be required to meet at the 'approved' time, will they?
Not at all. I just thought it would be nice for people trading a lot of games, or those who don't recognize local traders to have a place to make their trades. I also figured it would be nice to put a face to a name and get a little gaming in while we meet up. Dan is going to bring Tumblin' Dice, and I will bring a few other fillers. I'm hoping a few people will sit down and chat (and play) while I'm manning the table for an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Microbadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 2018 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
"manning the table" - How exactly does it work? Do you read off names and games into a megaphone, and people jump up and try to find each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
"manning the table" - How exactly does it work? Do you read off names and games into a megaphone, and people jump up and try to find each other?
I think it's more like David sits there looking friendly and approachable and helping to assist anyone match names to faces with their trading partners (or proxies). Meanwhile, he's also engaging in friendly conversation and gaming (in no particular order).

I'll almost definitely be there. Tumblin' Dice is something I'd like to try out. (and I suspect I'll end up trading something . . . hopefully. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Factory Fun fanMicrobadge: PitchCar / Carabande fanMicrobadge: Darts fanMicrobadge: Boggle fan
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I will have three teen boys with me and fully plan on bringing snacks into the hotel. I can't imagine, if one of the boys pulls out a granola bar while walking down the hall that they are going to get approached. I suspect it's more of a "don't order three pizzas to be delivered to the gaming table" kind of thing. I can't afford to buy three meals a day at the hotel. :-(

On-site food:

Gray’s at the Park - an American Bistro serving Northwest cuisine at breakfast, lunch and dinner.This looks relatively expensive ($17-30 entree prices).

Esther's Espresso Coffee Bar
Open every day 6:00am to 6:00pm
External image

FYI: Parking for guests of the hotel is $12/day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: RPG EditorMicrobadge: Heroscapers.com fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Old School Renaissance fanMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek Veteran
Parking on the street is free Saturday and Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
cdefrisco wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I will have three teen boys with me and fully plan on bringing snacks into the hotel. I can't imagine, if one of the boys pulls out a granola bar while walking down the hall that they are going to get approached. I suspect it's more of a "don't order three pizzas to be delivered to the gaming table" kind of thing. I can't afford to buy three meals a day at the hotel. :-(

On-site food:

Gray’s at the Park - an American Bistro serving Northwest cuisine at breakfast, lunch and dinner.This looks relatively expensive ($17-30 entree prices).

Esther's Espresso Coffee Bar
Open every day 6:00am to 6:00pm
External image

FYI: Parking for guests of the hotel is $12/day.

My two cents on this subject. We want to leave a good impression so that the hotel is interested in having us back again next year. I may be mistaken, but my impression is that this hasn't always been the case. The hotel rules are "No outside food". This is the same as movie theaters and any place else that is trying to have a revenue stream off of concesssions. If one person does it, it's not a problem. If you have a few dozen people doing it it's a problem.

A second part of this issue is the trash. After several days of gaming my recollection is that the rooms started to look shall we say, a little disheveled, with empty plastic bags and soda cans on the floor. Leaves a bad impression and adds to the cleanup work needed to be done by the staff. Please act like a responsible individual and pick up after yourself.

My recommendation is that if you're going to eat at the hotel, be discrete. Eat in your room, or take 10 minutes, go outside and eat a sandwich there. Another factor is that personally I don't want anybody eating potato chips while I'm hosting a game and then touching my game components with those fingers. I think that if everyone does this it will make a much better impression.

One thing that I'm doing this year which I haven't done in previous years is making sure that I schedule one hour breaks for meals into my gaming. Scheduling 12 hours of gaming back to back is a little silly. I'm putting in time for meals so that I won't feel rushed and be slamming food into my mouth during a 5 minute break between games. Hopefully it will allow me to take a more relaxed approach towards Gamestorm, and not be so completely fried by the end. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
Microbadge: Crokinole fanMicrobadge: Factory Fun fanMicrobadge: PitchCar / Carabande fanMicrobadge: Darts fanMicrobadge: Boggle fan
autumnweave wrote:
My recommendation is that if you're going to do this be discrete. Eat in your room, or take 5 minutes, go outside and eat a sandwich there. Another factor is that personally I don't want anybody eating potato chips while I'm hosting a game and then touching my game components with those fingers. I think that if everyone does this it will make a much better impression.
I totally concur, and although a little annoying, I understand the hotel's (and theaters') in regard to concessions.

Last year my boys got a little out of hand with the mess in the rooms and they had a stern talking to. Although I mentioned walking down the hall with a granola bar, that's about the extent to which I would be willing to permit them. I am an avid gamer, and my boys are well aware of my stance on things like potato chips around games! So no worries there.

Also, the last thing we want is to anger the hotel. Gamers do not have the best reputation in regard to cleanliness, so we'll need to be extra diligent. If I remember correctly, there were actual brawls last year (but I don't recall if they were related to our group or not)!

It would eventually leave us stranded if we alienated ourselves from all of the good hotels in the greater Portland/Vancouver area!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |