Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Anderson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
As part of our family vacation this summer, we'll be visiting Gettysburg. In the meantime, I'm looking to invest in a game on that conflict to help me & my son get a feel for the history made there.

Just to give you a little background on our tastes...
We really enjoy light-to-medium level wargames (e.g. House Divided), but would not want to get bogged down in something with TOO much detail. We'd like something that really captures the flavor of the battle while still being very playable. We particularly enjoy the Columbia block games and so Badges of Courage may be a good choice, but it seems to have gotten some mixed reviews (e.g. too small a board to accommodate the units well).

What would be a good Gettysburg game for us?

Thanks!
Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not an 'expert', but at the 'light' end of the scale you might look at Battle Cry. It's not on Gettysburg in particular, but does have a 'scenario' covering it. Otherwise you might review http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39224 to get a sense of what's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Gettysburg: Badges of Courage. It's in-print and not terribly expensive. Rules are light-medium in depth. Very playable. I've not had any trouble with the boards or with congestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried this myself, but I hear it's good:
Yankees & Rebels

Should also be good in case you visit any other ACW battlefields.

US distributor is http://bouldergames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36400

Don't know when this is coming out, but it seems like exactly what you're looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition)

A fast-playing version, and as with the other Smithsonian games, is pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just getting started with Civil War games, I'd suggest that you start with a division level game (that is, one unit represents the whole division). This allows you to get the big picture of the battle without getting bogged down. At a later time, you may want to explore brigade level, or for smaller battles, regimental level.

As has already been mentioned, I'd recommend Yankees & Rebels. Each division is represented by a stand-up character, and a number of plastic chips representing that division's strength. The Yankees start with just a few units on the board, but pretty soon some *big* Confederate divisions are going to come onto the board, and you'll have to fall back in order to keep from getting overwhelmed until your reinforcements arrive. The game includes units for Gettysburg and generic Corps/Division units so that you can play other battles as well making it a good buy. The rules (only 2 pages long) are online at http://giogames.it/

Other game to recommend is War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863. One thing I like about this game is that divisions can ignore some casualties by falling back, which I think gives a good feel of Civil War combat. The victory conditions are very interesting: you must either satisfy a terrain objective, or you have to cause 25 points of damage while taking less than 15 yourself. So, you're in this position where you can't afford to trade shots one-for-one; you have to go for flanking maneuvers so that you have a firepower advantage. The rules aren't online, but there is a "learn to play in 5 minutes" summary that will give you a flavor of the rules. http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameGettysburg.php

Battle Cry is a good game, but I think it's a bad choice: first, because it's out of print and can be rather expensive to come by, and second, because while the Commands and Colors system is a lot of fun to play (usually less than an hour per scenario), the scenarios are stylized representations of the battles, and I don't think give you the historical insight that you might be craving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it, the version that did it for me was the old SPI quadrigame Blue & Gray version of Gettysburg. I like how these modules would give you a good feel of the terrain and how it shaped the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

A fast-playing version, and as with the other Smithsonian games, is pretty simple.

Good, easy playing game with a great map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For the "looks"? then Gettysburg cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stove wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Good, easy playing game with a great map.

Let me be yet another who endorses this fine game, which was one of the best entry level wargames that AH created in its last years. This is the one you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe. Good one, GROG! That AH original certainly isn't good looking, but it's a classic that I wouldn't mind having in my collection!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Unfortunately, several of them are OOP such as Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition). Since this one has gotten several recommendations, though, I should look into it a little more. Perhaps I can find it on Ebay for a reasonable price.

I see that Blue & Gray (formerly SPI) is now made by Decision Games. I like the idea of getting several different ACW battles in one game. Unfortunately, my favorite online store doesn't appear to offer that one, despite having many of Decision's other games.

While they look interesting, I think both Yankees & Rebels and War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863 might be a little too light to keep us interested for more than a few plays. I probably should have just said we're looking for a MEDIUM weight game.

Andy, I agree that The Guns of Gettysburg looks perfect! Although I don't have either of Simmons' other games (yet!), I've been enjoying reading his development notes on this project. Unfortunately, I don't see how this would be available until late 2009 at best, as pre-orders aren't being accepted yet.

Anyway, I think I'm still leaning toward Gettysburg: Badges of Courage. I've read the reviews again, and I've almost convinced myself. But it's a little more expensive, and some mention of "game-breaking tactics" in this thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8308) has me kind of concerned. I just want to be sure about this, and after looking into many of the games you all mentioned, I still think this will be the best fit.

As a side observation, it seems like many of the best "heavier" games specifically involving the battle of Gettysburg are all OOP:
Terrible Swift Sword
Thunder at the Crossroads (second edition)
This Hallowed Ground
Am I wrong?

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions!
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Agreed. You can add complexity as you like, but the basic game is very good and has quite simple mechanics. Still my favorite G-Burg game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oskeewowwow wrote:
As a side observation, it seems like many of the best "heavier" games specifically involving the battle of Gettysburg are all OOP:
Terrible Swift Sword
Thunder at the Crossroads (second edition)
This Hallowed Ground
Am I wrong?

Well, Terrible Swift Sword has evolved over the years into Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition). Technically, that's also out of print, but it's not very hard to find copies at retail price secondhand. But yes... the other two are very much out of print. All three have their fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ditchburn
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to go for historical accuracy I strongly recommend:

All those other games really try to cover up the yeti and wooly mammoth involvement in the civil war...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Gettysburg: Badges of Courage is the easy choice. The board is indeed a little small for the blocks but don't let that put you off from the game. I'm a huge Gettysburg nut (I vacation there every summer) and the game captures the the historical situation best of any of the mid level complexity games. To do better you'd have to jump up to the brigade level simulations which is a good jump up in complexity.

I know a few folks here have recommended Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) but that doesn't play anywhere close in terms of historical accuracy. I really think you'll be better served with Gettysburg: Badges of Courage.

Now as for visiting Gettysburg. Feel free to drop me a bgg message if you want any tips on touring the town and the battlefield itself. The Gettysburg battlefield is huge and while you can skim it in a three hour audio tour it really takes several days to truly start to understand it your first time there. Playing Gettysburg: Badges of Courage and reading either Stephen Sears "Gettysburg" or Edwin Coddington's "Gettysburg: A Study in Command" will be a great help in understanding the battle prior to your visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to put some time and effort into it, get Fire and Fury.

It's a miniatures game, not a board wargame. But it's designed to cover big battles, and the basic rulebook offers two or three Gettysburg scenarios that could be combined to re-create the whole battle.

The photos in the book are inspiring, and it's a flexible, medium-weight, realistic game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm sold on Gettysburg: Badges of Courage. The other upsides are (1) we're already big fans of Columbia so I know what I'm getting for component quality and (2) it's readily available! Brian, I'll get in touch shortly regarding our vacation plan... thanks!

The minitures games look awesome, but I honestly don't have the time to invest in that route these days.

Thanks y'all!
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
If you want to put some time and effort into it, get Fire and Fury.

It's a miniatures game, not a board wargame. But it's designed to cover big battles, and the basic rulebook offers two or three Gettysburg scenarios that could be combined to re-create the whole battle.

The photos in the book are inspiring, and it's a flexible, medium-weight, realistic game system.

While I think that Fire & Fury is a fine system, and, as you say, the rule book is very inspiring, I think it's best used for medium sized engagements rather than big battles. With F&F's 200-men four-figure stand (50 men per figure), a 50,000 man battle requires 1000 figures (per side!) and a huge board.

For big battle ACW miniatures games, I prefer Volley & Bayonet (or the new revised edition Volley & Bayonet: Road to Glory). One stand = 1 brigade, and you can easily fight entire civil war games in an afternoon. I've gamed Shiloh, Stone's River and Champions Hill all concluded in an afternoon. I recently played Champions Hill with Fire and Fury: it took 8 hours with 3 players per side, and the battle wasn't finished yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.