Subject: When 80's games attack... or ummm... crush... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Boudreau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What in the world are a group of people in their twenties doing playing a child’s game from the 80’s? It’s basically all my fault. I thought it would be hilarious to review some of these old games and to watch my gaming group in torture of the goofiness of 80’s throwbacks.

In this game you choose a monster truck color you want. I went with Green, Dan went with Yellow and Kate went with Blue. We read through the rules expecting them to be ridiculously foolish sounding. The game mechanics were better than we expected. We started out chasing after whomever we wanted. Try as I might, my cars could not escape the wrath of Dan. He took down Kate’s cars with ease and has us both on the defensive most of the game. I only managed to crush a single car in this whole session. Kate fared a little better with a couple crushed cars.

Naturally Dan secured his victory after about twenty minutes of game play. Now you need to be aware we’re planning on playing Doom after this and I just thought it would be funny to preface it with a really silly game. Imagine my shock when it was enthusiastically announced "let’s play again!"

Since it only takes about twenty minutes to go through an entire game, we certainly had enough time to play through it before we get into real gaming. This time Kate and I fared much better around. We both secured three crushed cars and it was a fight till the end to determine a victor. I pushed Kate’s truck off the board once forcing her to lose a turn. Feeling vindictive and needing revenge from the prior game she pushed Dan off the board once thwarting some of his plans. This inevitably won me another crushed car while that fight was going on bringing us all to three cars each. It was now a race to the finish! Dan, unfortunately, secured the last victory despite our best efforts.

Final Thoughts: In the end this game was a lot more fun than we were expecting. The second game was a lot tenser than the first as things got down to the wire, plus it felt a lot more evenly matched. The rules were extremely easy to pick up. In no more than ten minutes you’ll quickly be playing this game. Granted this isn’t exactly the greatest game ever made, but it beat our expectations which were rock bottom at the outset. It certainly is no match for more intense games like Warhammer 40k, so don’t even bother comparing them on the same level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.