Subject: Start of Movement Phase / Fast Horses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the "start" of your movement phase (for hunters) defined exactly?

Is it: the hunter has not done anything yet in this phase, he/she still needs to choose the means of transport (a)?

Or is a hunter also still at his/her "start" of movement phase, if he/she has not begun to move yet (b)?

What I'm leading to in concrete terms is: can a hunter roll a train die and if it comes up with a result of 0 (= No Departures), may he/she then still play the "Fast Horses" item card in order to move two cities by road?

It would be possible with (b), but illegal in case of (a)...!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see arguments either way, as when you roll roll a 0, you pick Road or Sea, so you could (thematically as well) grab a Fast Horse if no train is leaving. Then again, start of movement phase could be seen as before (or right after) you choose a movement method. I'm sorta leaning towards using it at the start, so state Road move and toss Fast Horse. But as I said, could see either way really.

Timing issues can be pain (and not just in this game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks. I sort of suspected that this issue didn't have an easy solution.

Personally, I tend to believe that the arguments for NOT being able to use Fast Horses in this situation are a little stronger: you have after all already tried to use the train and rolled a die, and since the text on Fast Horses states that you should play the card at the start of your movement phase, it actually implies to me that you should have laid out your plans of wanting to "ride" (in a saddle, not in a train cabin - pun! ) right from the start/in the first place.

But if you agree with your game group (prior to playing) on which way you think it ought to be played, it won't matter either way (i. e. not affect the game balance in any way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.