jose barreto
United States
naples
Florida
flag msg tools
well i just subit and order but i havent bought it yet how do i cancel it... i dont really trust the guy so there for i dont wanna buy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
E-mail the seller and ask if they'll let you cancel the order. Remember YOU made a commitment to purchase and are asking the seller to do you a favor.

How is it you placed an order and now have reason to distrust the seller? One could reasonably wonder why the seller should trust you.

I would also suggest a spell checker for your postings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man They Couldn't Hang
msg tools
Maybe as a new user he didn't understand the marketplace properly. It does seem just to be ordinary people rather than businesses selling games, maybe he got cold feet when he thought about it a bit more. Does Boardgamegeek guarantee your money if something bad happens ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold Steel wrote:
Maybe as a new user he didn't understand the marketplace properly. It does seem just to be ordinary people rather than businesses selling games, maybe he got cold feet when he thought about it a bit more. Does Boardgamegeek guarantee your money if something bad happens ?

anyone else want to create a new account so they can post replies here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG takes 3% for acting as the matchmaker. They don't guarantee your money or anything like that. PayPal will do that if that's what you're using. BGG is just the pimp as far as the marketplace is concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:
anyone else want to create a new account so they can post replies here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
BGG takes 3% for acting as the matchmaker. They don't guarantee your money or anything like that. PayPal will do that if that's what you're using. BGG is just the pimp as far as the marketplace is concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdean1 wrote:

Please... for the sake of the rest of us, heed this advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdean1 wrote:
E-mail the seller and ask if they'll let you cancel the order. Remember YOU made a commitment to purchase and are asking the seller to do you a favor.

How is it you placed an order and now have reason to distrust the seller? One could reasonably wonder why the seller should trust you.

The potential seller has no more right than the potential buyer, so no one is doing anyone any favors here.
If he changes his mind and decides not to buy, he has as much right to do so as the seller has to pull his game off the market.
It boggles that so many people think the possible buyer has some ironclad obligation to buy after he's made an offer, while the seller seems to be able to follow any path he chooses, sell or not sell, with no obligations at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
The potential seller has no more right than the potential buyer, so no one is doing anyone any favors here.
If he changes his mind and decides not to buy, he has as much right to do so as the seller has to pull his game off the market.
It boggles that so many people think the possible buyer has some ironclad obligation to buy after he's made an offer, while the seller seems to be able to follow any path he chooses, sell or not sell, with no obligations at all.

When I first read this, I agreed with you. But having just now used the marketplace, I noticed the following sentence when you place your order:

Quote:
Your purchase is a contract - When you confirm your purchase on the next page, you will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose barreto
United States
naples
Florida
flag msg tools
well just send the seller a email saying that i cant buy it hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

When I first read this, I agreed with you. But having just now used the marketplace, I noticed the following sentence when you place your order:

Quote:
Your purchase is a contract - When you confirm your purchase on the next page, you will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller.

Contracts are NEVER binding only one way. By their very definition, contracts require at least two parties to be binding.
That sentence is meaningless unless it binds the seller as well to sell the item to the buyer.
I've addressed this before, the sentence is misleading, if not downright inaccurate and should be removed.
I'm sure a contract lawyer would be the best person to address this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdean1 wrote:

While I agree with the general sentiment behind asking why the seller should trust him based on what little info is available in this post, it's also quite possible that he bought the item based on price first and submitted the order all the way through before reading the seller's feedback. [And trade feedback is usually more numerous and about as reliable a guide as to what you can expect as marketplace feedback, which most geeks here have a lot less of--if a geek can't get a bothered to pack a game and ship it in a timely fashion to someone in a trade, why would you think they'll be any better in the marketplace.] I'm guessing the safe money is on "buyer's remorse" though.

And, Rik, you're so right about that ridiculously misleading sentence inseted in the marketplace transaction about this "BEING A CONTRACT"--utter nonsense since it doesn't bind the seller to anything at all. The fact that the seller can simply not confirm and pretend the whole thing doesn't exist while the buyer has to jump through hoops [since there doesn't appear to be a "cancel this purchase" button anywhere, even in the un-confirmed stage] makes me wonder why that language was ever included in the marketplace code. [Oddly enough, the only bad transaction I've had here was with one of the "real" business--NewSpiel--who simply ignored 2 purchases, never confirming either nor responding to any emails. All the "folks with too many games in their basements" sellers have all been responsive and easy to deal with]

And to the (other) newuser above, as far as I know, other than CLS Games, GameKeep, FairPlay, and perhaps a half-dozen or so others (all of whom, to my knowledge, identify their status as a business in some fashion in their profiles), the overwhelming majority of sellers here are "just regular people" who have no connection to BGG. To be safe, you'll want to use paypal because that's absolutely your best shot at getting your money back (Paypal is incredibly buyer-friendly) if there's a problem. (Do also note that not everyone who takes paypal can take Paypal payments that are funded by a credit card, so pay attenion to that when they tell you that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been too long since I signed up, but BGG's Terms and Conditions could easily bind you to a 'contract' (that you agree to by using BGG) that would include you agreeing to buy something you said you were going to buy. OTOH, I can't seem to find any BGG Terms and Conditions, so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sad. Learn to trust people. You already posted a thread expressing your lack of confidence in our marketplace.
http://www.boardgamegeeks.com/thread/383049

I'm sure the person you bought from has less reason to trust you, than for you to trust him. You're a new user with no contributions or games to your name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rokkr wrote:
walkie wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

Quote:

Contracts are NEVER binding only one way. By their very definition, contracts require at least two parties to be binding.
That sentence is meaningless unless it binds the seller as well to sell the item to the buyer.
I've addressed this before, the sentence is misleading, if not downright inaccurate and should be removed.

I'm not officially a contract lawyer yet - I am about to graduate from law school and sit for the bar though and I have taken a few classes on contract law...

The sentence is fine as it is written. Once there has been an 'offer' and an 'acceptance' you have a legal contract. You are right that it is binding on both parties though...

As soon as the buyer confirms his purchase, he has accepted the offer and there is a contract that neither party has the legal right to back out of (unless the 'acceptance' was really a 'counter-offer' in which case the buyer becomes the 'offeror' and the seller would have the chance to 'accept' the new terms... but we won't go that far into the legal particulares)

And while you're all probably correct that the seller is in an easier position to back out of the contract without getting in trouble for it - that doesn't mean he has the legal right to do so where the buyer doesn't.

Sorry for the longwindedness, I just don't think it's right (and legally - it's not) when either side decides they don't want to go through with it after the deal's been done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially in this case, where buyer is just acting irrationally. If you click buy, you're obliged to buy it unless there's something materially misleading about the item. I've stuck with a trade after I've agreed to it, even if some better trade offer was made right after, but still before the trade occurred.

He cannot cancel the order unilaterally.If our OP backs out, he should receive negative feedback at the least, and perhaps a banning. After all the guy fully understands how the buying system works, and I even explained how he would be protected if the game wasn't sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speedracer513 wrote:
Rokkr wrote:
walkie wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

Quote:

I'm not officially a contract lawyer yet - I am about to graduate from law school and sit for the bar though and I have taken a few classes on contract law...

The sentence is fine as it is written. Once there has been an 'offer' and an 'acceptance' you have a legal contract. You are right that it is binding on both parties though...

As soon as the buyer confirms his purchase, he has accepted the offer and there is a contract that neither party has the legal right to back out of (unless the 'acceptance' was really a 'counter-offer' in which case the buyer becomes the 'offeror' and the seller would have the chance to 'accept' the new terms... but we won't go that far into the legal particulares)

And while you're all probably correct that the seller is in an easier position to back out of the contract without getting in trouble for it - that doesn't mean he has the legal right to do so where the buyer doesn't.

Sorry for the longwindedness, I just don't think it's right (and legally - it's not) when either side decides they don't want to go through with it after the deal's been done.

I made the exact same point about the seller being obligated to sell once "the contract" took effect. Which is when you click the offer button; but was told in no uncertain terms the seller had NO obligation at all to sell.
I had made an offer, which I was willing to accept as a contract and was told by a lot of "experts" that the contract was only applicable to me when the seller decided not to sell.
That seemed wrong to me and still does. Bind both or bind none, but one contractor should never be legally obliged and the other contractor not at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, I agree - that blows. And I still think you were in the right and the seller has no more right to back out at that point than the buyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.