Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide.
mbmbmbmbmb
In listening to The Obsessed Board Gamer, Basement Board Gamer etc, it was a unanimous consensus that the bits (components) were of great quality. I have found them only to be of good quality.

First off I have the 2nd edition (rounded edges on Money and Black Dice). The very first bad thing I noticed was that the center cardboard divider was not straight but was folded in the box to form a V, and it is flimsy/Thin. Secondly, as I was punching out my tiles, many tore, the printing and cutting seems to have been poorly done. The tiles seem really thin.

Anyone else have these problems? Well at least my box was not creased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles tore? They are standard, sturdy cardboard. Were you using a chainsaw to punch them out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had a problem with tiles tearing, although I was careful to punch them out the right direction so that if something did tear, it would be the dividers that tore and not the tiles.

If you're looking for a fix, I might suggest using a black Sharpie to color in the ripped area on the back of the tile so it is still 100% black on the back. Yes, the tile will still be identifiable if you look carefully, but this is a game that does not give you the luxury of carefully analyzing the backs of the tiles before flipping. You just don't have the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a damaged tile as well as a couple that got torn when I punched them out. I emailed a photograph of the affected tiles to the distributor and they sent me replacements. You might want to contact them to see if they'll do the same for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no chainsaw, not even a rusty butter knife. I have many games with tiles, and I always go through my routine before punching them out. Check out my games owned list, not my first time punching. I flex them in all directions to start loosening them and I punch methodically and carefully. I was not impressed with cardboard quality of my set, perhaps different manufacturers?

Remember the XBOX 360 had two distinct manufacturers and one was producing crap and they shut it down. Maybe different printers?

Anyway, I am probably going the Sharpie route.

Galaxy Trucker is expensive, I am admittedly let down by the quality of the ship component tiles, don't get me wrong I love the rest of the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a few tiles tear just a bit at the corners. A sharpie fixed them up so that in the heat of gathering tiles they can't be spotted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Contacting the Manufacturer, Thanx. I have done that twice before first with Eagle /Fred with my Bootleggers game. They responded quickly and sent over what I needed right away and included some extras (more money). Secondly Titanic Games sent over a replacement gameboard for my badly warped Kill Doctor Lucky gameboard.

I have had positive experiences taking this route. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Just posted my concern on the Rio Grande Site, hopefully I'll get a quick response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering whatever came of this. Did the TC receive a response? Did you contact Rio Grande or Czech Games?

I just purchased a new copy of the game in the Amazon deal and had the exact same experience, which was very frustrating after reading about the quality of the components in the newer editions. The tiles seemed much more lightweight than I had expected, as did the cardstock. Worse, though, it was almost impossible to punch out the majority of the tiles without tearing the surrounding paper, leaving little hanging chads that needed to be removed with clippers/safety razor. This is the first time I've ever had to do this with a game, and it happened in at least 50% of the component tiles.

At least none of them tore off on the tile itself, which happened with one of my cosmic credits tokens. I used a black sharpie to mostly hide the tear, but that obviously would not have been an option if it had happened with a component tile.

There's also the issue that each of the tiles in the cardboard punchout has, for lack of a better word, "wrinkles" on the back side that show up when it reflects the light. This may very well be normal, but I just thought I'd mention it. I'm a little concerned it would have an effect when I choose to get an expansion.

Two of the cards were also cut off-center (Slaver from round 2 and Abandoned Ship from round 3), so they have a little strip of lighter color at the very bottom of the card. The Slaver was also cut to a different size compared with the rest of the cards, so you can always tell where it is in the stack, and the corners look a little off.

I wouldn't even call it "good" quality, although I'm sure there are plenty of games that are worse. When there are no problems, I usually enjoy punching out, counting, and organizing bits of a new game, but this experience was just stressful and unpleasant. I'm also deciding whether or not I need to sleeve those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.