Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Quinn
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Format note: Below, I use ( ) to denote the top/deck card, and [ ] to denote cards thrown into the Crib.

Content note: I took notes for this session, but not so much so as to disrupt the game (and overly annoy my wife). Therefore, some information is missing. But this definitely gives you the entire sense of the session with a moderate amount of detail.

Since I graciously let the Wiferator start Game 1 with the first Crib last game, and she proceeded to kick my backside, I got the first Crib this time.

For the opening trick, I held a pair of 7s, so I led with a 7, which she matched for a pair, and I snatched the pair royal for 6 points! Always an exciting “trap”! … when it goes your way, of course!

So, I was off to a much better start this time. However, in the hand count, she ended up with a fabulous hand: 6-7-8-9-(9) … 16 points! surprise (if I recounted it here correctly)

My next hand count was a respectable 8-pointer: A-2-(2)-3-X. By the end of the first complete round (1 Crib each), she was leading
32-25.

The next hand graced her with three 5s and a King as the top card (so at least 12). But my count of 5-7-8-9-(K) on a FIVE CLUB FLUSH also added up to 12! AND my Crib yielded 10 more: 2-2-3-10-(K). That put us about even coming around first turn.

My next hand: 6-7-8-10-(10) for 7. Pretty nice, especially since she got a bad hand and Crib. Now I’m in front, but not by much:
60-57.

The next round was a bit weird because of my Crib: she put a J-5 in there. Sounds like a bad play, until you see what she started out with: 6-7-7-9-J-5. What do you do with that? Nearly anything she put in would have given me 2 points, and the only ones that did not seemed to leave her with little to nothing in her hand. It was the best trade-off she (or I, later) could see. Unfortunately for her, I had put a K-5 into the Crib.

But she had one saving grace, the top card was a 6, giving her (6)-6-7-7-9 for 8 points vs. the 2 she gifted to me. My original hand was nearly as interesting: [K-5]-7-3-2-A. I wanted to keep the K-5-3-2 together but also didn’t want to lose the A-2-3 run of three. I ultimately decided to keep the lower-point hand, and play the odds hoping the top card would be a 10-value for my Crib, or even a 4. As you saw, it was neither. That 6 could have given me a 5-6-7 run, but I never would have kept the 5-7 combo in the same hand. Score:
72-68 me.

Another odd choice: I elected to keep all four spades from my next deal (giving up a K-A) and hoped more would work out, but nothing materialized and I only got 4 from the flush. However, I blanked her in the trick, and the top card 10 could have given her 6 in her Crib if she had put in different cards, but she only ended up with the 2 points she gave herself.
82-78, still me.

Next, I started with A-3-[8-9]-10-K, my Crib. Why throw away the 8-9-10 run? Because all the rest were clubs, and I was flush with excitement. Given what I kept, I hoped for an A, 2 or 5 as the top card (clubs preferred). It was … 7 (AND non-club)! BOOOOOO! yuk Not only did it leave me with only the flush, but I just gave up a run of four + a 15. The Crib total was only those 3 + the 4-point-flush = 7. Had I kept the 8-9-10-K and given up the flush, I could have had 6 in hand but probably nothing in the Crib (not sure now), so my move may actually have been the better choice.

Next: [A-3]-K-Q-J-5, an easier decision this time. Top card: 3 to match my J, so nobs for me and a hand total of 10! But I stopped patting myself on the back when I saw her Crib: A-A-A-3-(3)! 8 points! Coupled with 4 points in her hand and only 3 Go points in the trick, we were at
Hubby:104 – Wiferator:98. Still close and coming to the wire.

My hand and my Crib: [Q-9]-10-10-4-A. Top card: 7 (no help). I’m holding 6 points. In trick play: I led 10. She laid a 10. I slapped the 10! She fell into the trap again! Then she gave me a Go and I filled out the 31! An 8 point windfall at a critical juncture! (and a little demoralizing for her)

Hand count: her 3-9-10-J-(7) was also 4-flush of spades (she was getting Flush Fever also). Seven points for her hand but 100% EMPTY in the Crib!
118–108, I’m stretching for the finish line!

Now, with her Crib coming up, I should win in the next trick or, if blanked, definitely in first hand count. It only takes 3, but the fat lady had not yet sung. (No, I don’t mean my wife!)

My hand: A-3-4-5-6-7. Sort of interesting choice to make: 4-5-6 is a run that makes 15, so keep high or low card? I choice to hold the higher card to better push a Go during the trick, so A & 3 went into a Crib she would likely never see.

Top card: 10 (so what!)

Her Crib, she leads: 2
My answer: 5 (didn’t want to play my 4 in case she followed with a 3; but with a 5, that move would be a run of four for me!)
Response: K. Count: 17
Time for my high card: 7. Count: 24.
Wiferator: 3. Count: 27.
I HAVE A: 4! Count: 31 -- 2 points!
Now we each have one card left and it’s her play: K
My 6 and the last card wins it! (I didn’t even let her have 1 point that trick)

GAME 2 FINAL: H:121 – W:108

MATCH SCORE: Even up at 1 each.

Who will take the lead in Game 3? Even we don’t know yet. Stay tuned to find out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WiiGame wrote:

The next round was a bit weird because of my Crib: she put a J-5 in there. Sounds like a bad play, until you see what she started out with: 6-7-7-9-J-5. What do you do with that? Nearly anything she put in would have given me 2 points, and the only ones that did not seemed to leave her with little to nothing in her hand. It was the best trade-off she (or I, later) could see. Unfortunately for her, I had put a K-5 into the Crib.

Why wouldn't she keep 5-6-7-7 and toss J-9? It be a double run for 8 and nearly any card would add a 15 or two for more points. J-9 risks a 10 in your crib, but that's a small risk vs. guaranteed points from J-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.