Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this thread here, hoping it wouldn't offend the boardgamers, And I HAVE read some stuff about rpg's lately on these forums, so here goes.
I thought a top 10 list was more appropriate, based on other's threads, but I don't want to overdo it. Therefore, I just wanted to get an idea from those who HAVE played D&D if you have a favorite monster.
To begin the list, mine is the Peryton. He's a flying critter with horns like a stag and evil talons he uses to acquire his only food source: humanoid hearts. As creatures go in the worlds of D&D, he's far from the toughtest, at 32 hit points. But there are two unique things about the Peryton.
One, it never casts his own shadow--only the shadow of the last creature it consumed. I find that somehow comforting. If my character's heart is eaten by a peryton, my shadow will live on, until the beast feeds again.
And two, in a world of D&D books filled with superlatives, for me this one takes the cake: "As a consequence of their origin as the creation of a twisted deity, perytons are THE most miserable creatures in existence." Imagine! More miserable tan a purple worm, a night hag, a rot grub, even those demon maggot things that clutter up the abyss.
Sartre would have loved the Peryton, and so do I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go with my avatar on this one. Not because the Rust Monster is my favourite beastie to use in-game, but because its origin story (its actual, out-of-game origins, I mean) are fascinating to me.

It's very satisfying knowing that it made its way into the Monster Compendium because the DM had a funny-lookin' toy and made something up on the fly to fit it. I do that sort of thing all the time and it's always fun to see what others come up with. Rust Monsters exist in posterity and will always bring back fond memories for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wilbeck
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to go with the Lich. So many possibilities for adventures with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Milnes
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gelatinous Cube was one of my all time favourites. Perhaps influenced by the placement of a jelly cube on the table whilst playing!

regards

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Owlbears are like the Cowbell of D&D. No matter how many you have planed, you just need more Owlbears.

It's a bear! With Feathery legs and the head of what at times I have seen depicted like a hawk, and at other times like a Bald Eagle, but never as an actual Owl. It doesn't Hoot or fly silently or turn its head directly around in a ponderous range of motion. So it's definitely not a wingless cousin of a griffin. Nope. Owlbear. Write it down for future reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of a toss up for me. I always had an odd love for these guys:

How mighty, the umber hulk!

But you just have to love the beholder.

I still like to flip through the pages of the original Monster Manual now and again, though it's been many years since my last D&D night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
My favorite would have to be the invisible stacker since I did the artwork for it in the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, Dragons might be important to Dungeons and Whatchamacallit, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Netzley
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'll go with the Beholder as my favorite.

By the way, did anyone else subscribe to Dragon Magazine? I kind of miss it, and I have been thinking of ordering Kobold Quarterly since (printed) Dragon is defunct, but I haven't made the jump yet.

I loved the "Ecology of..." articles that Dragon magazine used to have. Actually, the pre-Paizo articles with more fluff than crunch about the monsters were my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobolds. They died so easily! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OWLBEAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I have to give 'props' to the almighty, invincible, unfazingly indestructible: "GAZEBO"! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of critters that are unique to D&D: umber hulk, gelatinous cube, displacer beast, mind flayers, but nothing says D&D to me more than the beholder. Just so iconic.

But the pages that I read the most in my monster manual as a kid were the dragons. All the different colored dragons with their different kinds of breath attacks fascinated me! But dragons are all over fantasy land, but the beholder is only in D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serious: Minotaurs (so many possibilities!)
Silly: Flumph or zygom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta go with the Bulette. Although we always pronoiunced it (in jest) like Arnold woudl say bullet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulette

described as "a landshark that burrows underground and feeds on humans, horses, and halflings."

Think "Tremors"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I have to give 'props' to the almighty, invincible, unfazingly indestructible: "GAZEBO"! devil

"I hail it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholder for utter freaky fascination (though the rust monster is a very close second).

Henry R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The various colors and attacks of the dragons to me were the stars of the show. Beholders were definitely cool, but there was always something unsettling to me about a living statue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a toss up between Death Knights and the Tarrasque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the owlbears, as mentioned above, stirges, and the will o' wisp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rust monster was FIRST in my mind. I think our campaign was very gear oriented and the mere suggestion that our all-metal magic weapons could be reduced to piles of brown dust made us more afraid that of liches, carrion crawlers, efreets and Asmodeus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuan-ti
Stirges
Gelationous Cube
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
The liger. It's pretty much my favourite monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Owlbear
Displacer Beast is a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Morley
United States
Rainier
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to be the troll. I know it's not a D&D exclusive but it is my favorite. Second would be Umber Hulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.