War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: played twice, some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) if i move an army into a region with another army, can i then move that bigger army?

2) basically, outside of event cards and being wiped out in a battle, minions, nazghul and separated companions never die, right?

3) can i produce in a town/city/stronghold that was conquered but then abandoned but not yet retaken?

4) clarification with muster: you can only muster one figure per town/city/stronghold, but you can summon 2 figures (2 regulars, 1 regular/elite) as long as they are in separate town/city/stronghold?

5) fellowship movement and shadow strongholds. When do i have to stop in shadow strongholds? if say i start in rivendell and get to move 5 spaces before i am revealed/declared, can i pass by moria and not stop? this whole thing confuses me.

6) can i muster in besieged free strongholds?

also, can i move into surrounded free strongholds? with separated companions? with the fellowship?

7) if i have a big army with dwarves, men of the north and elves, can i attack sauron's armies if my dwarves and men of the north are not yet at war? do i have to leave them behind if not?

if my dwarves and men of the north are in rivendell and sauron attacks rivendell (if i moved them into it prior to the attack) do they become activated? do i get to advance them?

8) can one action trigger both activation and advancement? say an army gets attacked? or do i need 2 triggers?

9) when the fellowship reaches the mordor track, do i add all of the special hunt tiles? what do i return to the bag? what happens? we havent ever reached that point yet, so im confused as to how it's supposed to work

10) if a shadow army attacks, say a stronghold. when i retreat into the stronghold, does that end his attack action? does this also work for cities/forts?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
1) if i move an army into a region with another army, can i then move that bigger army?

No. Each figure can only move once during one action. Also, Armies don't merge until the action is completed.

kookoobah wrote:
2) basically, outside of event cards and being wiped out in a battle, minions, nazghul and separated companions never die, right?

Correct.

kookoobah wrote:
3) can i produce in a town/city/stronghold that was conquered but then abandoned but not yet retaken?

No.

kookoobah wrote:
4) clarification with muster: you can only muster one figure per town/city/stronghold, but you can summon 2 figures (2 regulars, 1 regular/elite) as long as they are in separate town/city/stronghold?

Yes. You can muster 2 regulars, 2 leaders, or 1 regular and 1 leader. They must be in separate Settlements, and they don't have to belong to the same Nation.

kookoobah wrote:
5) fellowship movement and shadow strongholds. When do i have to stop in shadow strongholds? if say i start in rivendell and get to move 5 spaces before i am revealed/declared, can i pass by moria and not stop? this whole thing confuses me.

The Fellowship doesn't have to stop when in enters a Region with a Shadow Stronghold, but separated Companions do have to stop.

kookoobah wrote:
6) can i muster in besieged free strongholds?

Only with Event cards that don't specify that they can only be used in a free Region.

kookoobah wrote:
also, can i move into surrounded free strongholds? with separated companions? with the fellowship?

With the Fellowship, yes; with Companions, no.

kookoobah wrote:
7) if i have a big army with dwarves, men of the north and elves, can i attack sauron's armies if my dwarves and men of the north are not yet at war? do i have to leave them behind if not?

No. Only Armies of Nations that are at War may attack.

kookoobah wrote:
if my dwarves and men of the north are in rivendell and sauron attacks rivendell (if i moved them into it prior to the attack) do they become activated? do i get to advance them?

You can only move Armies of Nations that are at War into Regions belonging to other Nations, even other friendly Nations. At any rate, it doesn't matter where your Army is. If it's attacked, the Nation is Activated and advanced.

kookoobah wrote:
8) can one action trigger both activation and advancement? say an army gets attacked? or do i need 2 triggers?

Yes. Each action advances the Nation one space for each trigger. It's possible for a single action to Activate a Nation and move it two steps.

kookoobah wrote:
9) when the fellowship reaches the mordor track, do i add all of the special hunt tiles? what do i return to the bag? what happens? we havent ever reached that point yet, so im confused as to how it's supposed to work

Any Special Hunt tiles that have been brought into play by their respective Event cards are added to the Hunt Pool. Also, any Eye tiles that have been drawn but not permanently removed from the game (such as with Challenge of the King).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

The Fellowship doesn't have to stop when in enters a Region with a Shadow Stronghold, but separated Companions do have to stop.

hmm. so what's the thing with moria? my memory is fuzzy, but i know in our last game, there was this big confusion about the fellowship being in moria, and then the balrog and stuff about extra hunt tiles.

i also need clarification on being revealed while in a stronghold? and being revealed while already revealed.

Krieghund wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

No. Only Armies of Nations that are at War may attack.

so they will have to be left behind as a rearguard?

Krieghund wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

You can only move Armies of Nations that are at War into Regions belonging to other Nations, even other friendly Nations. At any rate, it doesn't matter where your Army is. If it's attacked, the Nation is Activated and advanced.

so if any nation is not yet at war, their units cannot even help defend a friendly nation, much less enter a stronghold to help against sieges,
correct?

Krieghund wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

Any Special Hunt tiles that have been brought into play by their respective Event cards are added to the Hunt Pool. Also, any Eye tiles that have been drawn but not permanently removed from the game (such as with Challenge of the King).

[/q]

does this mean that special hunt tiles are NOT added to the hunt pool until mordor? they are just set aside until then?

also,

10) if a shadow army attacks, say a stronghold. when i retreat into the stronghold, does that end his attack action? does this also work for cities/forts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
hmm. so what's the thing with moria? my memory is fuzzy, but i know in our last game, there was this big confusion about the fellowship being in moria, and then the balrog and stuff about extra hunt tiles.

Firstly, make sure you have declared vs revealed correct. Former being done at the start of a turn by the FP (exp adds Gollum/Smeagol option IIRC), the latter done due to a reveal icon on a hunt tile (or Nazgul Search). Say you've managed to get the FSP to move 4 times and not get revealed. Start of your turn, you declare them in Dimrill Dale (not sure on the name, between Moria and Lorien anyways). You've bypassed Moria and don't get any of the extra hunt tiles the SP would draw if he revealed you. Of course, if you get revealed on the 4th move, you could just take the High Pass route, but that's another story.

Finally, Balrog of Moria card.

"Discard “Balrog of Moria” to draw a Hunt Tile if the Fellowship has moved through, is moving from, or moving into Moria while being declared or revealed."

If you take the move option mentioned above, 4 moves, no reveal, if you now declare in Dimrill Dale, the SP could discard Balrog since it specifically states it can be used even whe FSP is declared.

Quote:
i also need clarification on being revealed while in a stronghold? and being revealed while already revealed.

Say you do 3 moves and get revealed on the 3rd one (from Rivendell). If you choose to go to Moria, SP would draw an extra hunt tile (possible a 3rd if Balrog was also in play) since you're going into a SP Stronghold. Revealed while revealed? Only way I can see that happening is if the SP plays one of the Draw Hunt Tile (Orc-Patrol for example) event cards and the hunt tile drawn has the reveal icon. No such thing as double-revealed, so be glad the SP "wasted" a reveal icon that would've been better spent played right after the FP used a die to hide the FSP.

Quote:
so if any nation is not yet at war, their units cannot even help defend a friendly nation, much less enter a stronghold to help against sieges,
correct?

They'll fight if attacked. Trouble is getting them to the stronghold of a different nation, since they can't enter another nation's area with a normal move. Scouts combat effect lets you do that IIRC (Dale to Woodland Realm for example).

Quote:
does this mean that special hunt tiles are NOT added to the hunt pool until mordor? they are just set aside until then?

Yep.

Quote:

He'll need to use another die to start a siege. Cities/forts don't work that way. Combats in those last until wiped out, choose not to press on, retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

Firstly, make sure you have declared vs revealed correct. Former being done at the start of a turn by the FP (exp adds Gollum/Smeagol option IIRC), the latter done due to a reveal icon on a hunt tile (or Nazgul Search). Say you've managed to get the FSP to move 4 times and not get revealed. Start of your turn, you declare them in Dimrill Dale (not sure on the name, between Moria and Lorien anyways). You've bypassed Moria and don't get any of the extra hunt tiles the SP would draw if he revealed you. Of course, if you get revealed on the 4th move, you could just take the High Pass route, but that's another story.

Finally, Balrog of Moria card.

"Discard “Balrog of Moria” to draw a Hunt Tile if the Fellowship has moved through, is moving from, or moving into Moria while being declared or revealed."

If you take the move option mentioned above, 4 moves, no reveal, if you now declare in Dimrill Dale, the SP could discard Balrog since it specifically states it can be used even whe FSP is declared.

Quote:

Say you do 3 moves and get revealed on the 3rd one (from Rivendell). If you choose to go to Moria, SP would draw an extra hunt tile (possible a 3rd if Balrog was also in play) since you're going into a SP Stronghold. Revealed while revealed? Only way I can see that happening is if the SP plays one of the Draw Hunt Tile (Orc-Patrol for example) event cards and the hunt tile drawn has the reveal icon. No such thing as double-revealed, so be glad the SP "wasted" a reveal icon that would've been better spent played right after the FP used a die to hide the FSP.

So let me get this straight, the main purpose of declaring where the Fellowship is to prevent them from getting the extra hunt tile by getting revealed and passing through an SP stronghold in the movement of that revelation?

Thematically, what does this represent? Sorry. I need to know this so that the narrative is preserved in my head.

Dam the Man wrote:
Quote:

He'll need to use another die to start a siege. Cities/forts don't work that way. Combats in those last until wiped out, choose not to press on, retreat.

Hmm. So basically, the forts in Osgiliath and the Fords of Isen serve as a one combat round advantage, and that's it. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
So let me get this straight, the main purpose of declaring where the Fellowship is to prevent them from getting the extra hunt tile by getting revealed and passing through an SP stronghold in the movement of that revelation?

Yep.

Quote:
Thematically, what does this represent? Sorry. I need to know this so that the narrative is preserved in my head.

Don't really know. Maybe, say the FSP exits Moria and think "phew, only lost Gandalf, glad we're out of there" ! Maybe you could look at it as a story element as they've reached say Dimrill Dale, so are past the mountains, the FSP discuss where they should head next.

Quote:
Hmm. So basically, the forts in Osgiliath and the Fords of Isen serve as a one combat round advantage, and that's it. Correct?

Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Quote:
correct?

They'll fight if attacked. Trouble is getting them to the stronghold of a different nation, since they can't enter another nation's area with a normal move. Scouts combat effect lets you do that IIRC (Dale to Woodland Realm for example).

An Army of a Nation not at War can only enter the boundaries of another Nation when retreating from battle. Scouts is only one way of retreating.

Dam the Man wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

Yep.

Also, declaring the Fellowship in a Free Peoples City ot Stronghold heals one Corruption point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See the official FAQ on this site:

http://www.warofthering.webb.se/

It will answer a LOT of questions, as all of us had the first few times we played.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.