Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, early this evening before the Oscars started my eldest tells me, "Sean Penn's gonna win for sure. He did that gay guy; right?"

I answer, "yup: gay or Holocaust--you're pretty much guaranteed an Oscar."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Counter point: Crash v. Gay Cowboys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterpoint #2:

I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry: 0 Oscars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right of course.
But then Sean Penn is an outstanding actor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

So, early this evening before the Oscars started my eldest tells me, "Sean Penn's gonna win for sure. He did that gay guy; right?"

You forgot handicapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This shows how unplugged I am from the Hollywood/pop culture scene - I didn't even know the Oscars were being held last night.

Did I win anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I don't even know what an Oscar is.

Here's one:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
This shows how unplugged I am from the Hollywood/pop culture scene - I didn't even know the Oscars were being held last night.

Did I win anything?

You obviously won, you didn't have to watch it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since "The Dark Night" didn't win everything, I pronounce the award irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never go full retard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Never go full retard.

Is that a comment on the actors likely to win/not win an Oscar? Or something related to posting on RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sean Penn sucks.

Therefore it's no surprise he won whatever an Oscar supposedly represents.

Unlike many of his fellow hand-wringing rich liberals, Penn is a pointless and annoying attachment to Hollywood, movies and entertainment in general. He has no soul, but his best acting gig is pretending he does. He can only play angry characters because he was cursed with a petulant, angry, mean-spirited visage that only a mother could love. I have seen several movies he was in and his presence alone made the time spent a complete waste.

Unlike other knee-jerk liberal elites, he is a skilless, cluesless asswipe. Whereas hand-wringers like Alec Baldwin and Tim Robbins possess both dramatic and comedic skills that make me want to see them perform, shitbirds like Penn make me feel blessed in another way: He saves me precious time because anything I see his name attached to I avoid, thereby saving time for other interests that will bring laughter, joy or reflection into my life.

It's fitting that he won. A meaningless award for a meaningless person... what could be better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me that DW might be just as good an actor as Sean Penn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
I don't even know what an Oscar is.

Here's one:

I don't think I've ever seen a photograph that so profoundly and completely captures the entire essence of Hollywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:
It occurs to me that DW might be just as good an actor as Sean Penn.

Almost everybody on Earth is as good an actor as Sean Penn. Most are better. And that includes you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
It's fitting that he won. A meaningless award for a meaningless person... what could be better?

Meaningless rants on a meaningless boardgame site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Not to me. I've read your posts. They have meaning and, surprisingly, even enlighten me every so often. Plus, it's free. You, a man I have no idea about, not a clue what you look like and probably wouldn't get along with... have much more meaning to me that a complete hack like Penn.

I rate Paris Hilton way above Sean Penn for the simple reason that she is fuckable (so long as know one knows you did her) and is 1,000% more entertaining than him. No pretensions with her... she's a spoiled rich-bitch and doesn't care who knows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Not to me. I've read your posts. They have meaning and, surprisingly, even enlighten me every so often. Plus, it's free. You, a man I have no idea about, not a clue what you look like and probably wouldn't get along with... have much more meaning to me that a complete hack like Penn.

Thanks Tripp, you know I was just trying to yank your chain

DWTripp wrote:
I rate Paris Hilton way above Sean Penn for the simple reason that she is fuckable (so long as know one knows you did her) and is 1,000% more entertaining than him. No pretensions with her... she's a spoiled rich-bitch and doesn't care who knows it.

She's fuckable in that it's mechanically possible, so long as you're alright with your dick falling off when it's over. I'd rather fuck a urinal, it'd be cleaner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'd rather fuck a urinal

Diagram please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
This thread proves yet again that Penn will continue to win accolades, if for no other reason than it annoys the exact sort of people the Academy likes to annoy.

Those with eyes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
This thread proves yet again that Penn will continue to win accolades, if for no other reason than it annoys the exact sort of people the Academy likes to annoy.

Those with eyes?

Hey, if he's good enough for Princess Buttercup, he's good enough for you, buster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah... the Buttercup thing went right past me too. Penn wasn't in that movie.

Gen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Yeah... the Buttercup thing went right past me too. Penn wasn't in that movie.

Gen?

I just thought she was insinuating that I should find Penn sexually attractive. I mean, he ain't ugly, but it would take one special weiner to make me switch teams, and he ain't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Sean Penn sucks.

Therefore it's no surprise he won whatever an Oscar supposedly represents.

Unlike many of his fellow hand-wringing rich liberals, Penn is a pointless and annoying attachment to Hollywood, movies and entertainment in general. He has no soul, but his best acting gig is pretending he does. He can only play angry characters because he was cursed with a petulant, angry, mean-spirited visage that only a mother could love. I have seen several movies he was in and his presence alone made the time spent a complete waste.

Unlike other knee-jerk liberal elites, he is a skilless, cluesless asswipe. Whereas hand-wringers like Alec Baldwin and Tim Robbins possess both dramatic and comedic skills that make me want to see them perform, shitbirds like Penn make me feel blessed in another way: He saves me precious time because anything I see his name attached to I avoid, thereby saving time for other interests that will bring laughter, joy or reflection into my life.

I don't give a fuck about what an actor's politics are. They aren't paid to use their own words. All of the reasons that you don't like Sean Penn that are related to his politics are irrelevant to me.

That said, I agree 100% with everything else you said about him. If it says Sean Penn in the credits I avoid the movie. I'm usually just not into movies where men are ceaselessly alternating between crying and blubbering then having a temper tantrum through the whole thing. That's just not entertainment to me.

I liked Chris Penn though; RIP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I don't give a fuck about what an actor's politics are.

Neither do I. There are more actors who have politics opposed to mine than there are that do. I suppose what irks me the most about a one-trick-pony like Penn is the combination of lousy, unintelligent politics coupled with a low grade skill set.

Example - Alec Baldwin is one of the best performers in TV with his 30 Rock character. But if you see him in a movie he is able to be a completely different character... what was that one with the bear that chased him down? Anyway, that character as an example, shows Baldwin has skills.

Example - George Clooney, a wacko Lefty of the 1st order. I enjoyed his TV character on ER, I enjoyed him in half a dozen movies, including what I consider one of the best ever, his character in O'Brother. He's skilled.

Example - Rober DiNiro who is kind of like Penn in that he is both ugly and tends to play the same angry, brooding personnae over and over. But he doesn't assault people with politics and so isn't an irritant to my sensitive nature. Besides which, DiNiro redeemed himself by playing the Mafia boss opposite Billy Crystal in the Anger Management movies. He turned the angry man into comedy and before that I thought only Jack Nicholson had that reach.

It's subjective for sure... but being annoyed at Hollywood excess and idiocy is part of the fun of writing a short rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.