Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a variant that changes how crisis comes into play. You need a first player marker.

When it's the first player's turn, place 1 crisis card in play for each player in the game.

Then each player takes their turn, they can move, perform an action and at the end of the turn place skill cards on one of many crisis cards. Draw another crisis from the deck and resolve ONLY the raider movements and jump gate preparation.

When a whole turn is complete, resolve each crisis card in play. Then pass the first player token clockwise and draw again 1 crisis card for each player.

The idea behind this variant is since you know all the crisis which are happening in the turn, you can plan with other players which crisis are more important to solve and focus your efforts you really need. Set yourself a list of priorities and work together to resolve them.

Any comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll make it much, much easier for an unrevealed Cylon or two to spike checks and potentially go undetected, if you ask me. It will be much harder to track who might have thrown a bad card into a skill check this way, and far easier for an unrevealed Cylon to optimize their play.

You also create the potential for not passing any skill checks if the ones that show up are large enough.

I think the humans would end up regretting this variant a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you resolve Cylon Attacks and Choice Crises?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the game is learning to not overcompensate on relatively low skill checks, or learning which ones to not even attempt.

I suspect this variant will change how effective Executive Order cards would be and would give more power to the players to the right of the button.

I *know* this would reduce the purpose of Roslin's special, Boomer's special, and scouting the crisis deck.

I have to believe that there is some balance between the three elements of a crisis card (crisis, cylon fleet & jump icon). By separating those two elements, you've reduced the purpose of those things being on cards and should instead introduce dice for Cylon Fleet and Jump icons.

So - is this only a thought experiment or have you spent the 10+ hours playtesting this variant 5+ times in order to work out the kinks and determine if it is worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AT first, it was just to get a particular feeling I did not have in the game. I did not thought it could be done with the current game's. Then I thought that by just placing all the crisis open at the begining of the game could reproduce the effect I wanted without changing anything else.

I respect people's opinion so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Ma
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
You have no Futura!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the problems of Cylon Attack cards and making the game much easier for hidden Cylons, just reading it reveals that it is very unthematic.

A crisis is some unforeseen, unstable and hostile event that is sort of a turning point when encountered: if it is solved, x will happen, if something goes wrong, y will happen. Even apart from BSG, this generally holds true--no one plans or typically foresees a crisis.

Bringing it back to the game (or the show, given that the game is so thematic), no where did the ship's crew plan to have a Water Shortage, foresee a terrorist bomber, or even want a Witch Hunt. Putting all these crises on the table and resolving it in such a way seems very odd to me, and as others have said, totally devalues Roslin's and Boomer's abilities and scouting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I saw it is that a series of problems shows up, but you cannot solve them all, So you negotiate with others what are the crisis that chould be solved in priority.

I understand that you could not forsee crisis, but the way the mechanic works right now is that you restrtic yourself from acting (keep your cards in hands) in case something worst happen. And that is very anti-thematic.

You just don't sit and wait for a crisis that's worth the effort to solve to show up before starting to act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.