Subject: Battle procedure questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played in a while.I am trying to recall rules for combat. I have the first edition of the game. Rule book says half the losses sustained by an army are permanent. All other losses are temporary. If an army sustained an odd number of losses......

Could you give me a brief description of what the losses would be and where they would go if the following were true:

1. My army wins a battle without need for a tiebreaker and sustains 3 losses

2. My army wins the battle in a tiebreaker and sustains 3 losses.

No mention is made of rounding in any way. Does this mean that half of the EVEN number of losses is permanent and the last loss ( which would make the losses now an ODD number is the one which may be permanent or temporary ?

An example of what I mean. Am I doing this right?

France wins a battle against Britain with no need of a tiebreaker but sustains 3 losses. Since 3 is an odd number, half of the first two losses is permanent. One corp is removed from the board permanently and one other corp is sent to France's reserve. The third loss will be temporary since France won and there was no need for a tiebreaker and one more French corp is sent to the reserve. Any remaining French corps are spent. Correct or horrendously wrong ?

Thanks for the help on handling odd losses in combat. It is most appreciated.

By the way, the Vassal module looks great. I will attempt it some day when I become more proficient at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:

1. My army wins a battle without need for a tiebreaker and sustains 3 losses

2. My army wins the battle in a tiebreaker and sustains 3 losses.

No mention is made of rounding in any way. Does this mean that half of the EVEN number of losses is permanent and the last loss ( which would make the losses now an ODD number is the one which may be permanent or temporary ?

An example of what I mean. Am I doing this right?

France wins a battle against Britain with no need of a tiebreaker but sustains 3 losses. Since 3 is an odd number, half of the first two losses is permanent. One corp is removed from the board permanently and one other corp is sent to France's reserve. The third loss will be temporary since France won and there was no need for a tiebreaker and one more French corp is sent to the reserve. Any remaining French corps are spent. Correct or horrendously wrong ?

Question 1) If you win without the need of a tie-breaker then half your losses are permanent rounded down. So in this case 1 corps will be lost permanently and 2 corpses temporarily

Question 2) If you lose the battle OR win by tie-break then the odd loss is permanent. So in this case 2 corpses will be lost permanently and 1 corps temporarily.

So in conclusion your example is correct

(By the way - I might be interested in trying the Vassal-module some day)

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.