Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished my first mission (didn't accomplish the mission goal due to taking things way too slowly!) and I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has answered all my questions on this forum.

I've been conscious of the fact that I've been posting a lot of questions on here, and I'm guessing some of them have been pretty stupid. I have been reading and rereading the rules, so I hope it hasn't seemed like I've just been lazy in posting questions on BGG. I guess it's just nice to sometimes get confirmation that I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Anyway. I *love* this game - I really do - the game is sheer genius, and the amount of choices / available tactics to try is fantastic. And the narrative that unfolds as the mission progresses is unlike anything I've played before.

So - a huge thank you to everyone who answered my questions - because without that help, the process of learning this great game would have been a lot more painful. You've all helped me to fall in love with this game. It's people like you guys that help make the BGG community such a fantastic one.

Cheers !!

p.s. Just because I've posted this doesn't mean I won't be posting more questions laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. The game has both messy rules and is pretty unconventional. We are all posting lots of questions, especially in our first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Steve said. Also, it brings up situations that not all of us have encountered before, and it helps to clarify situations that we didn't think we were getting wrong.

So, "it's all good".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it helps those of us who don't have this title yet (but are contemplating it) to learn more about this in an in-depth way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orionstars wrote:
And it helps those of us who don't have this title yet (but are contemplating it) to learn more about this in an in-depth way.

Agreed. I've downloaded and read the rules and have been following the posts of those who have the game and are making their way through playing it.

I have to say the fact that it's a solitaire wargame is the driving force in my interest in the title, but all the rules questions have me sitting squarely on the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I messed around with this when I first got it, but haven't gotten very far. I figure I'll wait 'til I've mastered ASL first before I really try to tackle this one .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not help you much! There's a ton of innovative ideas in FoF that contrast sharply with ASL's viewpoint on tactical combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Rich
I'm starting to make sense of the rules myself but i want to make sure of everything before i try it out
But anyway how do you find the rules and how smoothly are your games going
The only problem i have with the book is not that there has to be a rule re_write but i just think the could have been better organised
But right now i understand about 80% of the rules it will just take some time to figure out thats all .
But thinking about how the game is played and when i fully understand the rules i can see this being one of my
FAVORITE GAMES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Sorry if i'm being rude for jumping in just one question on the terrain card #54 church the symbol top right the binoculars with OP i must have missed it in the rules but i can't find the meaning for this but this is the only terrain card with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew, I'm finding my games run pretty smoothly now - in terms of the structure of the turns, and the basics such as movement and combat.

There are still a lot of things I haven't played around with yet - such as the use of vehicles, pyrotechnics, calling in support fire, etc etc.... and I've only tried the first offensive mission so far - I've not yet tried defensive missions or patrols.

But that's another appeal of the game for me - there are so many things to try and play around with, which can be used to alter you command tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MS_IGLOO wrote:
Sorry if i'm being rude for jumping in just one question on the terrain card #54 church the symbol top right the binoculars with OP i must have missed it in the rules but i can't find the meaning for this but this is the only terrain card with it

As stated at the beginning of the rules book, there are some icons on the cards which aren't used in the base game. However, my problem is that I wish the rules would have specified exactly *which* icons were not going to be used in the base game as I ran into similar issues as you - thinking that I was missing something and spending half an hour looking through the rules exhaustively until I figured out that those binoculars mean NOTHING in the base game. shake

I'm hoping the rules rewrite will address just plain stupid situations like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MS_IGLOO wrote:
Hi Rich
I'm starting to make sense of the rules myself but i want to make sure of everything before i try it out

Personally, I think it's better to try out a mission or at least a few turns once you have the general idea vs. studying the rules to death. Sure you'll miss some things the first time through, but it will help clarify things once you play a few turns and then you can reread the rules w/ much more clarity. Just my opinion.

Quote:
The only problem i have with the book is not that there has to be a rule re_write but i just think the could have been better organised

Agree 100%. There are still several "gray areas", but the biggest issue for me is that there are minor points/exceptions scattered throughout the rule book. So you either wind up missing things, or you are flipping back and forth through the rule book constantly. I'm thinking about taking the existing rules and rearranging them myself ... if I knew how long it was until the rewrite, it would help determine if it's worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.