Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is coming out this Fall, as the rumor seems to indicate, then I'm afraid decisions regarding game scope, components, etc., have already been made.

If it is intended to be a Warhammer 40,000 (fifth edition) gateway game, then I doubt that there will be any expansions, other than maybe White Dwarf. But, since GW did away with White Dwarf Chapter Approved I doubt you'll see any White Dwarf expansions either.

Btw, Space Hulk 2nd edition was, except for the components, GW's Milton Bradley version of the game. Hopefully, it will not be resurrected! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would I like to see? Well, I feel that 1st Ed. was the far and away superior of the two so I might be a little biased... laugh but I really, really wish that GW would simply reprint first edition's rules and scenarios and those of its Deathwing expansion as well, letter for letter and word for word, combined into one new rulebook along with updated and much, much, improved looking tiles and minis. Heck, I wouldn't even have a problem with nicely done cardboard stand-ups for all the marines and genestealers if I could just get my hands on improved looking tiles of all my first edition ones.

I would also hope that they might have realized what a nice little market might be found in releasing both further packs sold separately of even more tiles of various sizes and shapes to add onto those that came in the box as well as in releasing further expansions allowing fans to use minis of each of the various 40K races in further games of Space Hulk

...But this is GW we're talking about, so I can't help but feel that they're going to screw this up in a major way. Oh, I imagine it'll sell well for them, but I very much doubt that they'll even consider fans who already have 1st or 2nd edition as a viable market. Short of buying the new box - assuming that there is a box - for the miniatures and new tiles, I'm not sure that Space Hulk's older fans are going to have much reason to get excited.

It's still great news though for all the fans who never managed to get a copy. And first edition's rules are certainly available online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Genestealer. I thought it was a very creative way to add "spells" into a game without bogging down too much (other game spell-systems generate so much bog that I hate playing with them). Plus Genestealers with weapons added another cool twist to the game.

All in all, I love all the expansions of the game.

As for the remake, my guess is it will be a lot like 2nd Ed with larger tiles to accomodate the newer Terminators. Which pretty much means I won't be buying it, since I have a bunch of old Termies and all the other games (1st and 2nd ed). At least, not unless there is a lot of new stuff in the game that just doesn't exist in the old game...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its worth a small wishlist being posted, just in case Games Workshop make a mess of things and finally decide to pass the game on to Fantasy Flight Games, who are more likely to look at fan suggestions.

I already own the original Space Hulk (1st edition) and definitely believe that is the ruleset to go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
No way that they are going to release Space Hulk with 1st edition rules. They want the game to pull people into playing Warhammer 40k, so it will be compatible with the latest Warhammer rules.

Doesn't mean you can't use 1st edition rules yourself when playing though. Actually, does it matter what rules it comes with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are 1st Ed rules no longer compatible with 40k? Obviously I don't play WH40k, but I didn't think they would have changed that much...

Honestly, I think the timer is out. As much as I love it, I can see why such a decision would be made (though if it's *in* I would love to see an official timer of some kind, stopwatch/eggtimer/whatever). And for some reason, I have a feeling it's going to be more than just Genestealers. We'll see a few more 'nids, more along the veins of Space Crusade.

Lemme say that I don't like either of those! I love how Space Hulk is pretty simple but extremely fun. Most games much up elegant design with a bunch of "options". Take Doom: The Boardgame for example. Fun game, somewhat similar to Space Hulk, but due to its complexity, it's hard for me to get new players.

KEEP SPACE HULK SIMPLE!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Schoonover
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two words I want to see in the new game will never happen...

PrePainted Plastic

I'll still buy it, since it's one of those games that I've always wanted, but I doubt that the figs in it will ever see paint if I have to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like to see the rules streamlined, in line with the FEEL of the First Edition, although we all know they won't be like the First Edition. Just DON"T make them anything as 'cut and pasted'-like as the Second Ed.

I'd really like to see it as a self-contained game, like they produced WARHAMMER QUEST with all the same characters and races from WARHAMMER FANTASY.

And, I'd like to see the new Space Hulk expandable for ALL 40K Armies.

Many people, myself included, believe that the new release will be a doorway/gateway (whatever any one wants to call it) to Warhammer 40,000.

So, go all the way, I say. What the heck, GW, go balls to the wall.

Why not have Guard go after Eldar? Tau go after Necrons, Steel Legion, Space Marines, Squats, Orcs, Kroot, Krootox, Croutons, Botox, Viox, Xerox, Meeples, Steeples, all the Settlers of Catan, Andre the Giant (God Rest his Gentle Soul), Micky Roarke, Betty White, The Seattle Seahawks, Gimli the Dwarf, Colonel Sanders, Brain Patterson, Maury Povitch, Joe Quesada, Nico's, Subway, Der Weinerschnitzel, The Loli-Pop Guild, Holden Caulfield, Kurt Vonnegut, Thrud the Barbarin, Ringo Starr, Amy Winehouse, Axl Rose, Brett Michaels, Dave Mustane, the entire cast of Fraggle Rock including all the Doozers?

Okay, so I got a bit off topic.

All wise-assing aside, I mean play it with any 40K army, any one at anytime, I say. How may 40K players out there that have non-Space Hulk Classic armies (Termies or 'Stealers), get this game, then what? If it were you, you'd WANT to take your army out to the 'Hulk, right? To see how YOUR people stand up.

If GW wants to make Space Hulk compatible, current, and up to date, then they need to make it expandable, that's the only way.

If they want to make this a stand alone sort of game, then they need to respect the legacy they started.

Here's hoping for the future.

SPACE HULK FOR EVERYONE!

SPACE HULK FOR LIFE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that there will be core rules for terminators againt nids (because that's what the history of the game focused on), but wouldn't be surprised if there were advanced rule sets for different races based on their point system as in 40k.

As for scenery, I would think that GW would have considered contructing the floor tiles to interlock together; as well as be compatible with the 40k Imperial Sector Scenery. I doubt that there will be walls included, but rather just floor tiles with raised diamond plated panels and grates. It would make practical sense as this would boost sales for said scenery line and be able to produce expansion options while still being able to limit the amount of tiles they include with the core game. (i.e. include enough rooms and corridors to play a few game missions, but offer boxed sets of floor tiles for additional missions included with the core game rules.)

The Space Hulk components would more than likely contain 5-10 terminators (I'm guessing 5) similar to the ones in Assault on Black Reach and 20 Stealers/Gaunts (I'm guessing 15). Overwatch, jam, run, special counters and blip counters are probably going to fit into the "apocalypse green" template style with some way to determine the # of nids on the opposite side of the blips.

Don't think too hard on this topic as what's done is probably done; as noted earlier. Look for GW to produce the same quality minis and counters as they are doing in other lines. Don't expect pre-painted minis as the whole GW hobby is collecting, painting, converting and gaming. Do expect GW to give you more than enough to start with, but not TOO much to be able to buy hordes of space hulk boxes to create an entire Nid or Deathwing Army.

Anyway that it arrives to my local hobby store will be a long awaited and long overdue welcome. I plan of getting several copies because it was my most favorite GW game (aside from Talisman).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
No way that they are going to release Space Hulk with 1st edition rules. They want the game to pull people into playing Warhammer 40k, so it will be compatible with the latest Warhammer rules.

Doesn't mean you can't use 1st edition rules yourself when playing though. Actually, does it matter what rules it comes with?

I'm not sure that I understand what you're referring to. As I recall, the 1st edition rules of Space Hulk were not compatible with Warhammer 40k even back when it was first released. It wasn't a space ship version of the 40k rules; game mechanics-wise, it was a separate boardgame with its own rules. If it served as a "gateway", then it was as a gateway to GW games in general and to GW's cool over the top 40k setting rather than as a literal gateway to the tabletop miniatures game itself. Yes, you could use the figures in either, but the rules were different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.