Kiboko Hippo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Race for the Galaxy has become my most-played game. My first game was on Feb 23, 2008. So today I’m taking a one-year retrospective look at how this has influenced my overall gaming trends. From Feb 23, 2008 to Feb 22, 2009 I played a total of 299 games of Race for the Galaxy. (If I had only played one more game, it would have been an even 300!) During the same period I played a total of 777 games. It’s funny how the numbers came out. Maybe something more sinister is going on...
ninja

My total number of games played per year averages 700-725 since I’ve been keeping track (starting in Jan 2003), so my total for this period was a little higher than the average. No single game however has been played this many times since Race for the Galaxy. The closest contender was probably the 10 Days series (Africa, Europe, Asia), which reached its zenith in 2007 with 125 games played.

The graph below compares the number of games of Race for the Galaxy played each month (in blue) compared to the total number of games played (in red). A portion of both months of February are included (7 days in 2008, 22 days in 2009).

Interestingly only four games were played during Feb 23-24, all of these were two-player games with my wife. Then there was a hiatus until Mar 16-17 when we played several three and four-player games with friends. At that point, the game really started to click for my wife, and it really took off!kiss Most of our games have been two-player games although there have been a decent number of games with more players. There is a generally good parallel between the number of Race for the Galaxy games played and the total number of games played each month. This rises to July and then falls for the next three months before rising again in November. The latter rise can be attributed to the Gathering Storm expansion. We started including the expansion at the end of October. After playing with the Goals for about a month, we decided to forgo them in our two-player games but would break them out when requested by friends. I tried my first eight solitaire games with the Goals and then stopped (as I was getting thrashed by the robot at the medium level). Since then I’ve played 36 solo games against the robot and won 16 of them (also at the medium level). In multi-player games we’ve always included the expansion cards since they arrived.

Although the total number of games played from Nov 2008 through January 2009 was high (98, 100, 95 were the totals), the number of games of Race for the Galaxy declined from 47 to 17. So far only 12 games have been played in February but I might get in maybe four more games this week. So maybe the number of games played is reaching a plateau of 15-20. The last four months have seen competition from Agricola, Dominion, Galaxy Trucker, and some other old favourites, although Race for the Galaxy remains the most played game each month with the exception of the very first month (Feb 2008).

Another interesting trend I found was that during some stretches where a week or two would go by without any games of Race for the Galaxy being played (mostly from March through May of 2008), few other games were being played – dry stretches of Race for the Galaxy coincided with dry stretches of gaming in general.

The highest score I’ve ever had in a game was 69. I only managed this twice. Both were two-player games – one was a blowout game, the other closely fought. I think my lowest score ever was 21. I seem to have blocked it from my memory because I can’t quite remember when and how many players.blush

The fact that close to 40% of my games played are Race for the Galaxy, and that the total number of games played has edged up by less than 10% suggests that fewer other games are getting played, but that’s to be expected since there is only a finite amount of time that can be set aside for game-playing. I suspect games that take a longer playing time are showing a slow decrease; I’ll need to crunch the numbers and see if that is indeed the case. However, all things considered, I’m very happy I took the plunge and acquired Race for the Galaxy. With a limited budget, and owning San Juan, I figured I did not need a similar game – but reading more and more reviews finally convinced me to purchase it (without test-playing beforehand). I think I’ve only played one game of San Juan in the last year; it’s a good game but I simply find Race for the Galaxy more interesting and replayable.

Now I just have to wait another year and see how the trends change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Budny
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be an excelgeek.com forum for people like us. :) Yeah! I also love all the stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.