Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This leadership card is a bit of a curveball. Its hard to remember to play leadership cards before planetary setup, because everyone is so eager to get going.

With this start power, you're probably not going to rush anyone. Three marines and a Firebat are not going to instill a lot of fear in anyone. Nine workers are nice, and you can guarantee they'll have a place to work.

So suppose you do choose it? You get to pick your two worlds, and also pick the first player.

What worlds should you pick? My favorite right now is good ol' Dylar IV. With 2 count 2 mineral areas, a 2 gas area, and a conquest point, it seems like a good match for the Emperor's many workers. One hardly needs to expand when there's still capacity to build 3 more workers and a golden order module right on your main planet. That in turn saves 2 minerals and an action...

Then should the other world be good or bad? I kind of want to elevate the importance of Dylar IV by impoverishing the rest of the universe... but might it be better to pick a world that would make a good alternative home to Dylar? If so, what would that look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking on this since BW came out too. There are so many possibilities.

Placing a crappy world for the others is a very tempting possibility. But what exactly is considered a crappy world now? Would it be one of the "Stations"?

Going for planets with a high conquest value like Torus may be appealing for Arcturus as he can combine it with the stage 2 Leadership that allows him to place 2 more CPs wherever he wants.

Going for Hyrax or Moria if you plan to persue an air strategy could be viable too.

The problem with Dylar IV, Torus, Moria and Hydrax is that they have so many Nav points. Its hard to limit access.

I've considered doing something like choosing to be first player yourself, picking Torus or Victor V (something with alot of CPs) to be the first placed planet, and then having your other planet be something with only 2 Nav (like Beckar Ro for its economy) and connecting off of your first placed planet at the end. Then you place your Z-axis however you like since you will get to place that first (unless the Queen of Blades has glimpsed the Future that day...).

Do you give the first player token to the person to your left so you can hammer on the person to your right for a long time? Not sure how to decide.

So many possibilities though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you picked up the Typhoon expansion (or created a home-made one) I would suggest picking up that planet.. a nice dead end that is EASY to defend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I remember one time when playing as Mengsk, I decided to try out a peculiar strategy I had thought of once.

I chose "Emperor Arcturus I" as my Stage I leadership card, picked Typhon (1cp, 1mineral) and Erebus Station (2cp air-only, Strategic area ground-only, two connections), gave the First Player Token to the player on my left, and set up a corridor to Typhon with my base on Erebus.

I think I don't have to add that I was going for ultra-defensive, CP-victory? I picked "Tactical Mastery" at Stage II, and added 1cp on both Typhon and Erebus, thus gaining 5cp per turn, beign very difficult to uproot on Erebus because of it's areas' ground/air limitations.
I won the game very easily.

I am probably NEVER doing this strat again, though.
It was pretty BORING and I felt like I was exploiting the fact that I got my hands on Typhon promotion too much...
Besides, I hate when the Terran turtle in the real SC...

Any feedback on this?

And BTW, hello to all the SC/SC:BG fans here! Looking forward to all the future discussions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kammann
Germany
Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't read everyone else's leadership cards when we were first playing with the expansion and I was quite astounded when red Terran was allowed to pick his planets and choose when to place them. My friend didn't make good use of it though for he hadn't realized the magnitude of possibilities. Next time I got to play red Terran

I think there are many good combinations for planets to choose for Arcturus, but I went for Erebus Station and Pridewater. The latter I chose as my starting planet and Erebus to by my first expansion. Naturally I chose to be last player to ensure my two planets connect.
As most players won't place their base on their first world I had a lot of empty planets to connect to. By placing Erebus station next to an empty world and Pridewater after that, Erebus was safe from 1st turn grabs by anybody but me. So I had the resources from pridewater and the strategic area from Erebus. Only 2 CPs so far (of course I went straight for Air troops), but the neighbouring planet had also one and tactical mastery was about to come round the bend.

I wonder why anyone playing Arcturus would ever use other leadership cards? It seems a bit overpowered to me. Granted: Starting units are not that impressive, but unless everyone else is ganging up on you, I don't see how the leadership card advantages can be easily countered.

Hopefully I just got lucky (someone forgot to build a transport, so attack on me delayed one round; no one aware of tactical mastery [including myself]). Otherwise I fear Arcturus will always become the primary target of everyone else.

What are your experiences with this strategy? Are there easy ways to counter it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I Tried the Mengsk + Typhon + Erebus strategy. Wow is it unfair, I might add a house rule that Mengsk is not allowed to pick Typhon with his leadership card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kari Lehikoinen
Finland
flag msg tools
I consider this to be the most powerful leadership card in the game, with the cave-at that it depends much on how the players like to place their planets.

I prefer to choose to be the last player, and pick Chau Sara and Braken (iirc... the planet that's similar to Chau Sara any way). Most people I've played with tend to place the planets with several routes first, allowing Mengsk to often place his two planets in the following manner (A=planets placed by other players, possibly with less routes; M=Chau Sara and Braken):

| |
-A-A-
| |
M-M

This will put Mengsk in a very good position, having limited opposition at least one turn away, and being able to control 2,3 or even 4 planets before any real opposition.

Followed up by the extra CPs in Stage II, naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yeah that seems like a really good use for it if you don't have Typhon.

Feels a lot like kerrigans z-axis leadership card which I feel is comparable in power, with it you can potentially have 4x transports on turn one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.