Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've made my play. I've plonked down to get what I hope are sufficient minis to get started playing SH. I've been contemplating this for a long time. Now I'm on to making my terrain decision. Will I print out the basic set on card stock? Or maybe a custom 3D paper terrain? Not sure yet. The possibilities are delicious.

But I do know one thing.

I've got to play this to a soundtrack. I know there are plenty of good candidates, and I'd like you to help me with them. But before you do, I'd like to introduce track 1:

1. Deadbeat - Desiderii Marginis
www.last.fm/music/Desiderii+Marginis/Deadbeat/Deadbeat+I

What an amazing track! If you've never heard this before, you're in for a treat. If you can, listen to it on a hi-fidelity system and not the lilliputian speakers on your Mac book. It's confidently cinematic stuff. It's dark, brooding, industrial ambient that might make you think, in your mind's eye, of two dead space hulks on a million year rendezvous reaching reached out to one another, lifeless com to lifeless com, and eating static on their way to eternal deep space.

What else out there makes for good space horror listening?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest James Horner's motion picture soundtrack for the movie "Aliens"? It tends to hit all the right notes. And besides, it's the movie that pretty much inspired Space Hulk.

Your Deadbeat tune is pretty good too, but I'm a huge fan of Horner's work. Also, the movie soundtrack for "Event Horizon" would make a good fit as well; it's basically a strong horror movie soundtrack with a lot of techno mixed in. Good movie too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the DVD to Ridley Scott's Alien movie that has the "Isolated Original Score" bonus feature, and you'll have one of the greatest Sci-Fi movie score soundtracks around, without dialog or fx, to play in the background. Sadly it may be out of print now, as the more recent Alien: Collector's Edition seems to be missing the isolated score.

I just realized in "horror" that my Alien Quadrilogy 9-DVD Box Set set is MISSING this isolated score! I once owned the individual Alien DVD with the isolated score, and I sold it in a garage sale when I got the set for Christmas one year, thinking "surely" the score feature would still be present! ARGGH!!!

Whoa, looks like we were both posting at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
James Horner's motion picture soundtrack for the movie "Aliens"?

Another excellent choice! I don't recall if the original Aliens DVD had the isolated score, but the similarly-packaged Aliens: Collector's Edition also seems to be missing an isolated score.

Or, if you don't mind the dialog and fx, just pop in the DVD and turn up the subwoofer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I didn't think it would take long for the Horner score to come up, and rightly so. We actually listen to the score for Apacalypto when we play Tikal.

There should be a number of soundtracks that should work, but I asked, so lay 'em out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pnumekin wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think it would take long for the Horner score to come up, and rightly so. We actually listen to the score for Apacalypto when we play Tikal.

There should be a number of soundtracks that should work, but I asked, so lay 'em out

Since nobody has mentioned it so far, the soundtrack to Terminator2, with its thunderous industrial drumming, can be a pretty impressive listen as well. Lot's of suspense. I think generally I like eerie and broody more thanks thunderous suspense, but it's all grist for the bone mill, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

A few months ago I ran across a BGG post that mentioned Nox Arcana

Give it a listen: http://www.noxarcana.com/music.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bram Stoker's Dracula fits almost every game I played. Sci-fi included.

Command and Conquer's Mechancial Man, based on Warcraft's I AM A MEDEVIL MAN (or was it the other way around) might offer some humor.

Terminator - mostly the main theme.

The Apollo 13 soundtrack could be fun.

Star Trek: First Contact has some nice hunting Borg in the ship hallways kind of music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These suggestions are all interesting but they cost money! If you have time you can search the Internet Archive where there is tons of great music for free download.

Of course you'll have to search for it and listen to some less than good stuff.

I'd reccommend Metaphore as a good starting sample. I've been using Victors stuff in some of my podcasts and really dig it.

Try searching the archive for ambient, dark or horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I keep a couple of playlists set for Sci-Fi gaming: a loud one and a soft one, depending on the mood. The loud one is more to get the adrenaline going and includes higher BPM soundtracks from video games and TV
* Descent
* Quake II (Sonic Mayhem)
* Invader Zim
* Doom (imported into ProTools and tweaked for ambience)
* Metroid Metal (check out http://metroidmetal.com/ for the files)

Going by the sound of the track you posted, though, I'd say you're looking for tension with lots of synth pads. My softer set includes:
* the Myst series
* Total Annihilation (Jeremy Soule)
* The Dig (LucasArts)
* Diablo 2 (the less fantasy feeling tracks)

Other tracks could include:
* The Frail (NIN/The Fragile)
* The Beauty Of Being Numb Section B (NIN/Aphex Twin - 26 Mixes For Cash)
...for that matter, most of "Selected Ambient Works, Vol 2" (Aphex Twin) might suit you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mysterious Matters of Max Metters / Moonifest Destiny
badge
Island of the Moths
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting project! There is plenty of good v. evil drama in Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony", Symphony No. 8 in B minor, esp the first movement if I remember correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6mgm00RYeM

edit = youtube link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the Planet of the Apes soundtrack, the newer one by Danny Elfman.
Funeral is good, but maybe better for a fantasy setting.
Crippled Black Phoenix, Silver Mount Zion, Slint.

If you are not taking it too seriously, have a listen to Motionless Battle. Old school 8 bit Nintendo songs with a crushingly heavy drum machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted to do a recording where I had people eat hot wings directly in front of a microphone (with no napkins!). I envisioned it as an Arkham Horror sound track (perhaps with rain as ambient noise mixed in). It might work well for this too (but perhaps with dripping and gas venting applied every so often).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pnumekin wrote:

Well, here's a youtube link to some of the music from Event Horizon:

There's a better clip where a fan used footage from the movie to make a great music video and synopsis of the story, but I'm hesitant to post a link to it here because it's got several shots of the R rated violence from the movie in it, especially in the last few seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this thread has got me thinking.

I DO highly recommend the ALIEN isolated soundtrack, I would have never thought of that (it's so obvious!), and right on the mark.

I usually play Metal when I play SPACE HULK, anywhere from Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica (all the pre-'Black' album staff), Rainbow, MOTORHEAD, and on down the line like that.

Ever hear of the 'Afro-Celt Sound System'? -- beautiful music they produce, not 'metal' at all. If you try them, go for the second album, 'Release'.

I play those off my computer music program, on loops, shuffled.

But if I had to pick and chooose -- man, that'd be tough for me, there's SO many good genres of music that seem to fit.

Play with what makes you happy.

And I haven't even touched on the industial-metal music out there that marries up so well, like the stuff the video-heads play for online gaming.

LONG LIVE SPACE HULK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny Kreutzfeldt's 'numberground'(www.databloem.com) sounds pretty much like a transmission from a terminators mike (minus the fire and screams) deep inside a genestealer infested space hulk. Lots of eerie clanking of metal and echo building up inexorably to a storm of doom-noise. First time I heard it I thought 'my god, this is space hulk'. Highly recommended, listen to it on headphones in a darkened room and before you know it that dark, dark shadow is morphing into a blood-hungry genestealer, trust me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order

Aliens
The Thing
Predator
Any of the suspense/action Immediate Music scores if you can find them. I can name about 20 more, but this is a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Turner
United States
Fultondale
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This applies not to the soundtrack but to the terrain. Litko Aerosytems has a wooden corridor set meant for pimping Space Hulk. They also have acrylic token sets (scanner blips flames, overwatch etc.)

[url]http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/CS[/url]

Hirst Art has several set of plaster molds for making plaster walls, floors,conduits and crates for science fiction terrain.

[url][COLOR=#3333CC]http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/moldssci.html[COLOR][/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a very good soundtrack for the Space Hulk boardgame, is the
soundtrack from the 3DO Space Hulk game.
(Even though I remember that the music from the PSX version was better, but I haven't found a OST).

Here you can download the complete music and speeches from the game (85MB large):
http://drop.io/Space_Hulk_OST

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also found some music files for the W40K Dawn of War PC game:
Here's the Link:
http://www.dawnofwar-game.de/downloads/

Scroll down to the section "Sounds" and download the 3 zip files "Völker Sounds"", "Game Sounds" and "Diverse Sounds".

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried your other link yet, but these are actually quite good and set the right mood. I've downloaded them. Thanks for pointing me in a good direction! :-)

-Pnumekin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon McNair
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pholde"
I'm going to throw a new one into the mix: Pholde. This is experimental work with steel under varying degrees of tension and (I believe) played like a bowed instrument. Cavernous, brooding soundscape.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/pholde4

If you can find it, I quite like the Pholde album "That Which Tends to Dissuade".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oerlemans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came across this on Dakka Dakka: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/238435.page
Nice and Pompous, but it lacks the creepout factor of some of the other soundscapes posted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.