Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian E
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Commentary welcome:

I am a fan of the Yugoslavia invasion strategy that enables Italy to accumulate sufficient BRP to DoW the Allies in 1940 and launch an offensive option at the same time. I assume most will be familiar with this strategy, where Italy deploys correctly (experiment), DoWs Yugoslavia in 1939 and conquers it unaided in high probability attacks, collecting 20 BRP and building to a budget so that Italy has 100 BRP to begin 1940.

But, in my opinion, the Axis should never invade Greece. Greece is a poor source of BRP and is a strategic cul-de-sac. Greek neutrality actively benefits the Axis by impeding Western Allied access to the Balkans.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Greek island of Mytilene, if the Allies are able to use it (even if they have to invade it, and presumably because the Axis attacked Greece), can base an airborne that can drop from Mytilene on Bucharest, Sofia, Athens, Durazzo, or two beach hexes in Greece?

This threat could create serious midgame problems for the Axis at a time when defending the Balkans is a poor use of their units and moves. Sure, there is some risk of premanent elimination of an airborne used in this way (depending entirely on the specifics of the situation), but given some of the benefits that the Allies could realize, even that might be worth the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree to leave Greece alone, that Yugoslavia invasion by Italy can have some serious drawbacks. First, it aggravates Tensions and costs BRPs that Italy should be using to build units and fleets for 1940. A minor DoW and even a limited offensive should cost around 18 BRPS added to the fact that Italy can fail to take the country in one turn if they try a German blitz style in winter. Two 2-5s just don't cut it! Second, you telegraph this move to the Allies since you set up before they do. I wouldn't hesitate to use expendable French BRPs to DoW Italy if I can take out Libya or the old 3R4 conquest of Italy double-turn. (We no longer use double-turns as per AWAW). Third, Russia can make an immediate Reaction roll with a net modifier of 5 if Italy invades in Fall! A favorable reaction roll of even 1 or 2 will not please Hitler one bit. He will be forced to leave a larger garrison behind in Poland, potentially no surprise attack, and no doubt the Russians will attack Rumania immediately if only to wipe out their force pool.
Also don't underestimate the potential damage four and maybe five partisans (research) can do. My personal preference is to try and get an "8" diplomatic result. Full co-op gets you the BRPs with no fight and no partisans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian E
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Great points!

Follow-up question: Do you think it is at all possible for the Axis to seize Gibraltar via para and air from the Oran area early in the war, possibly via a 2x move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stridsberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
SumatraTiger wrote:
Commentary welcome:

I am a fan of the Yugoslavia invasion strategy that enables Italy to accumulate sufficient BRP to DoW the Allies in 1940 and launch an offensive option at the same time. I assume most will be familiar with this strategy, where Italy deploys correctly (experiment), DoWs Yugoslavia in 1939 and conquers it unaided in high probability attacks, collecting 20 BRP and building to a budget so that Italy has 100 BRP to begin 1940.

With two british armor units in mediterranean ports and the french fleet in the med, it will be very difficult to defend Italy against a double-move if the allies choose to DoW and attack Italy (note that you can't defend Italy with german troops). It is an often missed point that the Italians actually have to set-up and buy forces rather defensively in fall 1939 to even survive 1939. Large at-start forces in africa should be countered the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.