Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather play something than nothing (with the exception of Cranium, which I will pass on every time.) As a result the bulk of my game playing is with friends and family, who would much rather play Yahzee than something with a touch of skill or strategy.

I've managed to get my family interested in Carcassonne, and they will on occasion share a game of Catan with me, though I've yet to get them to give it a go with the Seafarers expansion. There are rumors that Lost Cities might see the light of day in the coming weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

But I'd _rather_ be playing games with a bit more strategy and depth, but the opportunities to do so are rare. Even a simple game such as Hoity Toity sits unused on the shelf because "we don't want to learn the lessons to another game"

Don't interpret this as complaining. Most days of the week I'd much rather spend time with my family playing a game we all enjoy than play a deeper game with someone else. If only...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming friends are all great people, but I am not a socializer. There are games I dislike enough that I would prefer to stay home and play solo Pandemic, LotR, Ghost Stories, or Arkham Horror (or something online) than some awful game with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vecere
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Try these games out:
Bohnazza
Skipbo
Dominion
Bang!
Ingenious
Railroad Tycoon
Ticket to Ride

There are so much more.... You Just scratched the surface....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For thirty years I've tried to get my Mother and Father and extended family to play a game with me. Heck, a charity game would be nice.

And they are "gamers" of a sort already! They've loved Trivial Pursuit, I spent long afternoons over a Cribbage board with my Mother, it was my Father who taught me to play Chess... they like games. They're bright, inquisitive people.

But no. Games are that weird thing their weird child does in his spare time. I couldn't get them to sit down to a game with me - I tried mathy things for my math teacher Father, creative things for my art teacher Mother... nada. They won't even buy me games for Christmas when I specifically ask for them.

Until Ra.

After years of trying a dozen different gateway games, this game, that I would never have guess they would have liked, has been the only thing in the plus column. And they've actually asked to play it again.

I don't care if they are only humoring me. Whether they are or not, it's been the biggest success. So, perhaps it will work for others too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ekted wrote:
There are games I dislike enough that I would prefer to stay home and play solo...

I can't think of any game like that, but there are pleny of people whose attendance would cause me to want to stay home.

And of course there are nights when I'd rather stay home anyway.

I do think that you're much more likely to play the game everyone can agree on than the game that anyone in particular really loves. I suppose I am very lucky to have a group of gamer friends who are eager to try new things and play many different things... but I think that's a common trait among gamers.

So, to the OP, I say this; cultivate the gamer in others. Play games they'll like and make sure everyone has a great time. And the next time it comes time to play, you'll be able to say "Remember the great time we had last time? This one's even better..."

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they'll play Yahtzee, try To Court the King - you roll dice, and combinations like a full house or four of a kind earn you cards that give you special powers. Kingsburg is another dice rolling game, where the total of your dice earns you resources, and you can build buildings which give you points and abilities. In Doubles Wild you roll dice and place marbles in a coordinate-grid (like Battleship), and get points for every three in a row, in every direction. Doubles are wild, so you have to pick the best spot. And last but certainly not least, Stone Age has a lot of dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played games in my family, but it was mostly the Parker Brothers / Milton Bradley fare while I was growing up.

Now, when we get together, I always bring a few games. I don't bring the heavier stuff that comes out on games nights, but Ticket to Ride, Alhambra, Ra, Bohnanza and similar games are the kind of thing I'm playing with them now. I occasionally get asked how I find out about these games that no one's heard of, but it's never a complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
And last but certainly not least, Stone Age has a lot of dice rolling.

I've been considering Stone Age, and Pandemic. But as I mentioned in the original post the "we don't want to learn the lessons to another game" issue makes it difficult to introduce any new game. But this is probably more my fault than theirs. When the family is in a receptive mood, I probably overwhelm them with my "backlog."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They'd probably like Can't Stop. It's not my favorite game, but it's one that I can play with just about anybody, so it gets points for that. Plus it's some good dice rollin' n' matchin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends are picky. They always want to play Last Night on Earth, and I usually want to play a Euro, or at least a "heavy" AT game.

But my taste has kind of changed... I've really started to get into a few lighter AT games. I still like the heavy ones, but it seems like I've really lost interest in most Euros. I'm burned out on Last Night on Earth though.

Anyway, if your friends don't like the Euros that you've tried, try some AT with a little more theme. LNOE has always been popular for it's theme, and while it is a light game, they may be willing to try something heavier if it's got a theme they appreciate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be in your same situation, with the same thoughts running through my brain... so I started writing up a long response.
I nuked it all and decided to keep it short & sweet.

1. Build your own gaming group
and
2. Enjoy your party/social gaming with your friends & family

I've been lucky in that I've slowly been able to build a gaming group of people I really enjoy being around. I'm a parent with high-school age children. Some of those gamers are even friends of my kids. For the most part these are individuals who have discovered their hidden love of board gaming with a little coaxing from me.

Bottom line: Relax and enjoy the time with your friends and family, even when they pull out Cranium! Don't consider those times as game playing, but rather social get-togethers. Then build your own gaming group that meets at other times to enjoy the meatier fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was telling my father just the other day of how I had just completed a prototype card game, and how I had overcome the challenges of trying to fit it within a 54-card system (thinking I was going to take advantage of the Artscow deal). He said "what's wrong with Solitaire?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my extended family I've got a two tier system:

1) For the adults I'm only working on Coloretto. They seem to be more amenable to card games. Once I can get them into one game, I might have more luck introducing others.

2) For the kids (I've got three teenage niece/nephew) I'm working on several games with Fairy Tale and San Juan working well for me so far. The boys are into Heroscape on their own so I figure I can go along way gaming with them!

But in the meantime I play a lot of Cribbage and Mexican Train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.