Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Mayer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any relationship between the board game and the video game? I purchased Railroad Tycoon 3 as a way to play this on my computer and am sure it is quite different, but just wanted to see how different. Anyone have experience with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are completely different. Only the name and theme are similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mayer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks...I figured as much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is BGG and it's a great place for information, actually try putting the "board" to work for you and make use of what it has to offer.

Just by doing a bit of research for Railways of the World in the Review Forums you would have uncovered this little nugget http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/226490 that answers your question for you and then some.

This review is from someone who was addicted to the computer game series but somewhat skeptical about purchasing the board game. That is until, as they have stated, they found BGG and it's resources to help them.

If you read the review you will find tidbits about comparing the board game to the computer game along with other peoples comments of such.

PS: The reviewer received over 100+ thumbs up for the review.

Hope this helps...
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Shaw
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too played the video games first, then the board game. Here's my comparison. Take RRT3. Boil it down to its abstraction: Goods need to be moved from where they are to somewhere else and provide you with profit. You can, through game mechanics, add places to deliver goods to.

That is the core of the board game. It's lacking the complexity of the computer game, but boils that game down to its essence and makes it accessible in board game form. Opposing players are able to quickly pick up on the basics of the game and enjoy it.

I love both games for very different reasons.

I hope this was somewhat helpful for a brief post while written at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beloved_34 wrote:
Is there any relationship between the board game and the video game? I purchased Railroad Tycoon 3 as a way to play this on my computer and am sure it is quite different, but just wanted to see how different. Anyone have experience with it?

I don't really enjoy the computer game all that much. Part of the appeal of the board game for me is the ability to calculate points quickly and easily, and form a plan. In this way, there is a big puzzle aspect to it and it's always fun to try to "solve" it while competing against other players. The computer game is much more dynamic, "alive", and has more moving parts. I don't get a board game feel from it, and therefore it's just OK in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Steven... I recommend you get a copy of RRT2 for your PC. RRT3 is okay but 2 is better. I own all three and eventually took RRT3 off and reinstalled 2. It's just better. Play them both and you'll see which one is closer to the board game.

Also, snag a copy of the European expansion for RRT, it's better for 3 players than the US map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.