Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there's a guy who posted a picture by picture explination on how he clips his counters. My question is what purpose does it server? Is it just for cosmetic reasons? Does it extend the life of the counter? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both your questions. Here's a thread from 2008 which pretty much covers this 'fascinating' topic.......

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/310902
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
Does it extend the life of the counter?

Counter clipping is more of a current fad than any kind of scientifically proven method for extending the life of your counters. I've been playing wargames for nearly 40 years, without ever clipping a single counter, and have never had a single counter "fail" by delaminating or for any other reason. Some are certainly showing their age through wear-and-tear, but they are still perfectly intact counters.

Whether or not clipped counters actually handle better than counters that are simply trimmed square is open to debate. And as far as cosmetic issues are concerned, I think clipped counters are ugly.

All of which is to say that clipping counters is a personal choice. If you decide that you want to clip your counters, then go for it.

But don't think that you "have" to clip your counters, because some of us think clipping is just a waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid playing games with guys who clip their counters. I'm sure they have other nasty habits as well...yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've been playing wargames for nearly 40 years, without ever clipping a single counter, and have never had a single counter "fail" by delaminating or for any other reason.

Same here, though my time is only slightly more than 30 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it appeases our OCD tendencies more than anything. I clip mine and they look much cleaner. Think of it as giving your counters a hair cut. I know I must be crazy to clip counters, but I do it anyway. I started with the SK, and I really had no idea how big Beyond Valor was. Once I got it I was a little shocked. On the plus side i don't have to worry about getting any of my counters mixed up with my friends. They really do look nice clipped though.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.