3 Posts

Valor & Victory» Forums » General

Subject: Anti-Tank Combat Suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

xx
msg tools
Additional observation:

The anti-tank rules are blissfully simple. Look up the anti-tank value of the shooter (A through F), look up the anti-tank value of the target (A through F), and cross reference them on a table, then roll two dice.

Did you consider not using letters (A through F) and instead using numbers? If you did so, you could eliminate the whole table-one could conduct anti-tank combat by looking at the map and rolling the dice.

Specifically, say in anti-tank combat, a 7 is required to kill (the player would have to memorize this one fact). Then, look at the counters: On the counters, replace the Letter with a number: Firing units: A= -4, B = -2, C = 0, D =+2, E = +4, F = +6. Add the firing units value. Look at the defending unit's armor (again, replace the letter code with a number): A = +4, B = +2, C =0, D =-2, E =-4, F = -6. Add the armor modifier. Roll the dice. If its 7 or less, kill.

This would function the same as the current system but eliminate the table.

Admittedly, it would add additional numbers to the counters-perhaps you were trying to avoid so many numbers on counters.

Paraguay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Paraguay, and welcome to the V&V community!

Thanks for your suggestions. As for the Casualty Point system, I think once you play the game you'll see how fast, and how well, it plays. It's not really that cumbersome, and it'll give you results that are close to some of the other squad-level games, without all the messy rules.

And for the Armor values, the letters are actually a holdover from Rommel's Panzers and Stalin's Tanks -- two microgame classics that really inspired me to design V&V. I borrowed that idea years ago for a card game I was working on, and modified it a little (not much) for V&V. You've also touched on another reason I chose to stay with that system -- it keeps too many numbers off the counter.

I hope you enjoy V&V, and thanks again for your input.

-Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Kegley
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game!! Play, play, play! It works just as it is!!!!

Hoss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.