Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: What's the best way to ship "big" board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Georgia
msg tools
I'm beginning to look into trading and had no problem shipping out my Carcassonne, it was easy finding a box to fit it.

But what about bigger games like Axis and Allies? Most of the shipping boxes you can buy from the store aren't rectangle shaped (which would be ideal) but instead they are about the same in length/width/height.

So where do you find your "bigger" boxes to ship your bigger games is my question...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the nerve to ask a manager, grocery stores have boxes of all shapes and sizes. I've managed to get a few that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you know anyone who works at a university with research facilities, the number of shipping boxes that get thrown away each day is criminal. I'm sure many other businesses have the same situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wal-Mart often has carts full of empty boxes sitting out. The meat department is good hunting grounds.

Ask friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc., to save larger boxes (and packing material, too) for you. Most will gladly do it.

Make an appropriately sized box by cutting down one that's too large or combining two smaller ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
Thanks for the tips thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mistermarino wrote:
Wal-Mart often has carts full of empty boxes sitting out.

Just make sure the store doesn't mind you taking them. The boxes I see in my Wal-Mart aisles are stamped that they are to be re-used within the company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use carpet knives and use all sorts of boxes, and alter them to fit. But I have to take pains when I do to make double walls and do extra taping to make sure that my creative endeavor isn't a risk to the game.

But as long as I am careful to use bubble wrap, reinforce stress points and maybe even put smaller rigid boxes inside the same box as a larger game like A & A to make sure that crushing doesn't happen, it usually isn't a big deal.

But I ALWAYS ship big games by FedEx, and if you have an account, you can save 8% every time you ship (it's available to anyone with a credit card). And always get a business address to ship to if one is available.

Then you'll avoid the home delivery upcharge.

It will save you $5-15 over USPS. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
msbtch2u wrote:
mistermarino wrote:
Wal-Mart often has carts full of empty boxes sitting out.

Just make sure the store doesn't mind you taking them. The boxes I see in my Wal-Mart aisles are stamped that they are to be re-used within the company.

Yeah, I always ask. But they've never said no.

Target, on the other hand. The employees act like I just asked for plutonium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you end up buying a box I've found Office Depot has the best selection of boxes for reasonable prices. I think the most I've ever paid was $3 and that was for a large box to ship Fortress America and a Copy of the new Warrior Knights. The nice thing is that my trading partner for that deal re-used the box when he sent me 2 copies of Siege of the Citadel.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Lots, TJ Maxx, Rite-Aid and other similar stores will give you boxes if you ask.

Just make sure to use good packing materials to fill the empty spaces around the game! I've had a few games arrive with crushed packaging because of this -- luckily the games survived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.