Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Objective variant rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
This is a variant I've thought up but not yet playtested (so feedback from folks who try it is very welcome). The concept is that each player is given an objective card at the beginning of the game (after characters are selected but before loyalty cards are handed out) and these objectives allow you to score points in different ways. The side that wins scores bonus points in addition to points scored through objectives, and the player with the highest score wins! The goal here is to facilitate much more politicking, horse-trading, deal-making, and back-stabbing than even a normal game of BSG. Here are the rules (see the file for the objective cards, themselves):

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BOARD GAME OBJECTIVE RULES

With Objective cards in play, players score points that will be totaled at the end of the game; the player(s) with the highest score wins. During setup, each player is dealt one Objective card prior to handing out loyalty cards. Increase each resource dial by 1. In a game with 4 or 6 players, do not include a Sympathizer loyalty card during the Sleeper Phase; instead, replace it with a You Are Not A Cylon card and put the Cylon Sympathizer Objective card in the Objective cards dealt out.

Objective cards may be TRADED between players at any time (even revealed Cylons may trade their objective cards with human players).

Objective cards are hidden, but players may make them public if they choose to.

If the Human Fleet wins, all Human players receive 10 Victory Points.
If the Cylons win, all revealed Cylons get 20 Victory Points and all unrevealed Cylons get 10 Victory Points.

Revealed Cylons may not score points from their Objective cards (with the exception of the "Cylon Sympathizer" Objective card).

When scoring Objectives, you may find it helpful to keep track of the following events during the game.

Raiders you destroyed:
Heavy Raiders you destroyed:
Number of times you have hit a basestar:
(Do not record enemies destroyed by nukes.)

Basestars destroyed during the game (by anyone, using any means):

Who has been President during the game:

Who has been Admiral during the game:

Number of times you have been sent to the Brig:
Number of turns you have started in the Brig or Sickbay:

NOTES and optional rules:
The key to winning may lie in trading for the right objective to fit your situation, rather than completing the one you drew.

Don't forget that in this variant, you're competing against everyone else for high score, so while it may be advantageous to partner with someone who has non-competing goals, people who know what your objective is can try to keep you from scoring points.

This variant will likely inspire a good deal of backbiting and deal-making, fracturing the human fleet even more than normal. This will make it even more difficult to tell who is a hidden Cylon because people may act in counter-productive ways in order to score points for themselves!

To get the highest score, you'll need to make sure that your side wins AND you score well with your own Objective.

Optional rule 1: Cylon players can only trade objectives with a human player if the Cylon is at the "Human Fleet" location.

Optional rule 2: Any circumstance that lets you look at ALL of a player's loyalty card(s) also lets you look at their Objective card. If you are able to look at ONE RANDOM loyalty card belonging to another player, you can CHOSE to look at their Objective card instead.

Optional rule 3: When playing with 4 or 6 players and using the Cylon Sympathizer Objective, add an additional 1 to each resource (2 total).

OBJECTIVE CARDS (also available as a download in the "files" section):

POLITICAL AMBITION

You score 10 points for being holding the office of President at any time during the game, and an extra 5 points if you are President at the end of the game.

CAREER-MINDED

You score 10 points for holding the title of Admiral at any time during the game, and an extra 5 points if you are the Admiral at the end of the game.

VENGEFUL

You gain 3 points for each basestar destroyed (by anyone) during the course of the game (15 points max).

SELF-PRESERVATION

You start the game with 15 points. You lose 5 points each time you are put in the Brig, and 2 points each time you start one of your turns in the Brig or Sickbay.

THE GOOD SHEPHERD

At the end of the game, you get 5 points for each resource not in the red (15 points max).
VENDETTA

Pick another character to be the target of your Vendetta and write their name here:

This Objective may not be traded with the person playing that character.
You gain 5 points if the target of your Vendetta is sent to the Brig, and 2 points whenever they start one of their turns in the Brig or Sickbay. You also gain 2 points if they lose a title (Admiral or President). (15 points max.)

LOYAL FRIEND

Pick another character to be loyal to and write their name here:

This Objective may not be traded with the person playing that character.
You start the game with 10 points. You gain 2 points if the character you are loyal to is ever President or Admiral and 5 points if they hold a title when the game ends. (15 points max.)
You lose 5 points if they are ever sent to the Brig, and 2 points every time they start their turn in the Brig or Sickbay.

OVERWHELMING AMBITION

You get 5 points for becoming Admiral or President at any point in the game. You get a total of 12 points if you have held both positions during the game (not necessarily at the same time) and an additional 3 points if you end the game with a title.

ACE PILOT

You gain points for destroying Cylon ships (without using a nuke) as follows:
+1 for each Raider.
+3 for each Heavy Raider.
+1 for each hit you inflict on a Basestar (+5 if you activated or piloted a viper).

(15 points max.)

CYLON SYMPATHIZER
This Objective can be scored by revealed Cylon players!

If the Cylons win the game, you score points as follows:
+5 if you are a revealed Cylon.
+12 if you are an unrevealed Cylon.
+25 if you are not a Cylon (for real).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having to write someone's name gives away that you have one of those two cards. You could just do something simple like automatically vendetta/friend the player on your left
Vendetta also seems rather difficult to score 15 on, particularly if you have a vendetta against a cylon (who is likely to reveal before they are in the brig long enough for you to score your total). Perhaps give bonus points if your vendetta target reveals as a cylon while in the brig.

The sympathizer objective card is a little funky too. Why do they score less points if they are also an unrevealed cylon? If someone gets a cylon card AND a sympathizer objective card, that is one less cylon on their team and they should get MORE points for pulling off a win. If they get the sympathizer card and they don't have a cylon card, it will be easier for cylons to win so the victory shouldn't be worth as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why revealed Cylons get more points than unrevealed Cylons. Anyoen else think it should be the other way around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
I don't understand why revealed Cylons get more points than unrevealed Cylons. Anyoen else think it should be the other way around?

Unrevealed cylons can score their objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
DuckAndCower wrote:

Unrevealed cylons can score their objectives.

Exactly right.

Also, any Cylon getting the "Cylon Sympathizer" Objective would have to chose between trying to trade it with another player to get them working for the Cylons and keeping it for easy bonus points. And, of course, an unrevealed Cylon would have to decide if it was worth revealing just to score more.

BSG is a game about making hard choices, and I wanted to add the dimension of having to chose sometimes between helping your team and helping yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
Having to write someone's name gives away that you have one of those two cards. You could just do something simple like automatically vendetta/friend the player on your left
Vendetta also seems rather difficult to score 15 on, particularly if you have a vendetta against a cylon (who is likely to reveal before they are in the brig long enough for you to score your total). Perhaps give bonus points if your vendetta target reveals as a cylon while in the brig.

The sympathizer objective card is a little funky too. Why do they score less points if they are also an unrevealed cylon? If someone gets a cylon card AND a sympathizer objective card, that is one less cylon on their team and they should get MORE points for pulling off a win. If they get the sympathizer card and they don't have a cylon card, it will be easier for cylons to win so the victory shouldn't be worth as much.

These are good points. Players will have to keep records of things like how many Cylon ships they've destroyed, so maybe I just need to make a play aid that also has room for writing down the target of a Vendetta/Loyal Friend Objective. I wanted the points to be transferable, though, in case the Objective got traded. (Now YOU hate Starbuck, and don't have to start scoring points from scratch.)

I like the idea of extra Vendetta points if your target reveals as a Cylon while in the brig. In that case, giving the Loyal Friend points if the target reveals while NOT in the Brig makes sense, too.

Ultimately, while I want the Objectives to be approximately balanced, I think it's okay if they all aren't exactly balanced against each other. I suspect the value of an objective or how easy or hard it will be to score points with will depend far more on the role you're playing. Getting "Ace Pilot" is great for Starbuck, but not so good for Roslin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust that you are beautiful.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with the Cylon Sympathizer card is that any Cylon player automatically loses if they are revealed and do not hold that card. So, when there are two Cylons, and one has that card, there is no reason to ever give it up, and the other Cylon just loses with no chance of doing anything about it. If a human player has it and won't give it up, the human wins and the Cylons lose without being able to do a thing about it.

Personally, I think that the Cylon Sympathizer should be just removed entirely, the game should be played under the official no-sympathizer variant rules, and each objective card should have a human objective and a Cylon objective. The Cylon objective is only scored by revealed Cylon players, and some examples could be: Gain three points for every viper damaged or civilian ship destroyed during your Revealed Cylon turn (for Ace Pilot), Gain seven points if you revealed outside of the Brig (for Self-Preservation), Gain four points for every resource in the red but above 0 at the end of the game (for The Good Shepard), Gain three points for each Cylon Raider to ever set foot on Galactica, etc.

Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download file can be found HERE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F T
Colombia
Bogota
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very insteresting variant. Have you playtested this yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reads like a death knell for the humans to me. It's already a difficult game for the humans to win - giving them reasons not to work together to maximum effect strikes me as making it that much harder for them to succeed. Individual victory/loss shouldn't have much meaning for the theme of the game since overall survival or destruction of the human race is the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is hating on your idea, but I think it has some major potential. To balance it, you would have to have the cylons also fulfill objectives (ie their goal is still in play even as cylons) and a few need balancing, but I think this idea could be majorly good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.