Popular Tags: [View All]
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up at a Good(will) place where I get games and figured it might be kinda cool. I like the dinosaur theme. So, how was it?

Well, in reading the instructions, the game actually looked to be fairly decent. Thus, I went into playtest mode. I'm fairly sure that my copy is complete, though the cards and tokens had a little wear. Each player receives, at random, a card with stats about a particular dinosaur. The player becomes that dinosaur and takes any dino playing piece and 5 food tokens. Among things listed on the card are attributes, which are given ratings of Above Average (+), Average (0), or Below Average (-). These stats are used in attacks and when natural disasters occur. The game board is divided into 4 different terrain types with a winding path throughout the board. This path passes into and out of each terrain type several times throughout the game. On your turn, you roll the six-sided die (has dino pics on it, cool) and move that many spaces. If you land on another dinosaur, you draw an attack card and do what it says. You will have to compare your stat with that of the other dinosaur(s). Your turn is over after the battle. If you don't land on another dinosaur, you deal with the space you landed on. If it is a food space, you take a food token if it is the type of food you like (you're either an herbivore or a carnivore). If you landed on a colored square, you draw the appropriate card and deal with it. (Yellow squares tell you what to do right there on the board itself.) Furthermore, if you pass over into an area that is your natural habitat (listed on your dino card), you get a food token if you rattle a phrase which I will refrain from repeating right here. The goal is to not run out of food tokens and to be the first player to land on the finish space by exact count.

The good:
I like the idea behind the game and how battles and natural disasters are resolved. The challenge cards were good, as well.

The bad:
I don't like games that require you to land on the winning square by exact count. Luck plays a huge roll in this game. It's good that the kids can learn about the dinosaurs, but learning that they existed millions of years ago, and having 2 cards that say that your dinosaur has evolved pre-supposes that you believe in evolution, and it encourages further belief in that theory as true. So, according to your own belief on that, teach your child accordingly.

The ugly:
The cards were of basic cardstock. I guess you would rather have young hands abusing cardstock cards than cards of better quality, though.

Overall, a good play, but moreso with children.

Jighm

(edited for spelling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.