14 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
I have gone over the rules 3 time now but i need a little help before i begin I am only going to play mission 1 until i understand the basics and to see how all the rules play out until i move on

Attachments
Unit type NO Assets or ammo Formation
Arty FO 1 SCR300 Arty FD net radio 15th FA BN

So do i get the Arty FO and he gets the radio as his equipment

Fire support available
Agency Ammo Mod FAC Arty FO Mtr FO CO HQ PLT HQ # FMs
15th FA Bn HE -5 NA 2 NA 1 NA 4
105mm WP -4 NA 2 NA 1 NA 1

I'm not to sure about the fire support rule So the Arty FO is the one that calls for fire support

German force package or other

#2/3 Incoming mortar/artillary Description Incoming marker NCM -4 or -3 + Arty FO spotter 105mm or 81mm
Do i use the red incoming markers if so they only go up to -3 not -4 and the Arty FO spotter 105mm or 81 mm what counters do i use . These are the only two encounters that i can not figure out

I'm sorry for the stupid questions but i have not seen or played a game like this before
Besides the Attachment and Fire support and the one encounter everything else seems ok to me

Thanks Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So do i get the Arty FO and he gets the radio as his equipment

Correct. The Arty FO is carrying an SCR300 Radio with which to communicate with the big guns.

Quote:
I'm not to sure about the fire support rule So the Arty FO is the one that calls for fire support

Ideally, yes. But in this Mission, the CO HQ can also Call for Fire. However, the CO HQ only draws 1 card when Calling for Fire as opposed to the Arty FO who draws 2 when he Calls for Fire. That's what the "Draws" columns are telling you. The FO is much more skilled at doing his job than the CO HQ is, thus he has a much better chance of getting the fire down when you want it.

Quote:
#2/3 Incoming mortar/artillary Description Incoming marker NCM -4 or -3 + Arty FO spotter 105mm or 81mm. Do i use the red incoming markers if so they only go up to -3 not -4 and the Arty FO spotter 105mm or 81 mm what counters do i use . These are the only two encounters that i can not figure out

When you place an enemy FO, you place the FO counter that has the appropriate modifier on it. Looking at the German FO counters you'll see that the modifiers are printed right on the counter. There are 2 Arty spotters with -4 printed on the counter, and 3 Mtr spotters with -3 printed on the counter. The only modifiers that the 'Incoming!' markers have on them is the circled '-1' AT modifier. They simply mark where the fire is coming down. The modifier on the actual FO counter reminds you what the modifier is. So, if you draw an enemy package that is an "Arty FO (-4 NCM)," then you grab the Arty FO counter with it's -4 printed on it and draw to see where he's placed.

Does that help?

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks i understand now so Attachments are basically mission bonuses
I'm guessing you play the game quite alot
And reading the rules and thinking to my self the game is not that hard to learn and i don't think it's going to be that hard to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Antón
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew,

I really recommend that you start playing right now. While playing you're going to see all these rules alive, more problems will appear and you'll check the forums to see if someone asked before you and, if you don't find the solution, you'll be the one to ask.

I started the 1st mission last Thursday and it's taking some time for me to end it. Meanwhile, the rules are getting together at a slow peace, but they're getting together all the same. I've done like two long sessions only, maybe I've played one other day one hour and a half. The rest of the time, each time I pass by the table, I check to see what I would like to do next time I sit. Maybe I have to reread the Vehicle rules, or the Calling for Fire ones... I'm enjoying a lot this slow peace, because I know that it will work for me: Next time I'll need less time (maybe not). You need patience with this game, but you'll be rewarded with a great gaming experience.

Anyhow, get those cards on the table and start to plan how you are going to take the two objectives.

Oh, and tell us how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I totally agree with Miguel - the best way to learn this great game is to start playing !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
jvdv wrote:
I would advise moving a whole platoon at once from the Staging Area to a Row 1 card with a PC marker on it... I got hit by mines AND an HMG, completely wiping out the platoon, including the HQ!

Sounds like a very short game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
jvdv wrote:
I must blush admit that I'm starting over...

I will probably do stupid things also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitting an assault team off is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
I will be trying my first game today or tomorrow
Then i will post so you guys can see if i did anything wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
One more question pg 5 Under steps Units with 2 or 3 steps may break down into different units during play either voluntary or as a result of combat Because these units have various weapons a diagram is provided at the end of the rules to show how various units break down
So say i wanted to break down 1/1st PLT Do i get the 3 fire teams for doing so
I know how to break down the unit during combat but i don't know how to do it voluntary . Plus i don't see an order to do this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
I found it
Detach team Rally action
So what if i want to detach the team into 3 AT or FT can i spend 3 orders one at a time in one turn or does it have to be one order each turn

Nevermind i cleared it up for myself Detach a team Recipient any good order 3 step squad

I need to stop reading when i'm tired

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.