Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday we tried a three player game of To Court the King. It is a small game-- one of the Yahtzee model games. I have the Alhambra Dice Game which also uses the same mechanic. Essentially you have a pool of dice and over the course of several rolls try to assemble sets. Alhambra works on simple matching sets on the dice. It then complicates that with an interesting scoring and placement mechanism. It also adds wild-card bonus abilities and multiple scoring rounds that have cumulative competition. It special dice for the game with different buildings on each side of the dice. We really enjoy the game, but it has a couple of problems. The game has some fairly strategic choices and newbie players often don't see those. That can lead to a runaway game. It also takes a little longer than your usual dice game.

On the other hand, To Court the King uses the standard d6 and is really like Yahtzee on steroids. You're trying to put together sets, straights, pairs and so on. On each turn you spend what you roll to pick up a character card. Each card has a different cost (two pairs, total value greater than 30, full house) and provides a different ability on your turn (add extra dice of a particular number, move pips between dice, rerolls). You can only have one of any role and each one can only be used once per turn. The end goal is to get seven of a kind, which allows the activation of a final round where players battle for the best end roll.

We generally liked the game-- it has a lot of bits and rules to be a true filler game. Our set had a couple of misprints (a couple of card backs and, strangely, one of the dice which had two 3's and no 2). It does take some getting used to the mechanics because it focuses on language independent icons for mechanics...and they aren't immediately clear. It also took some getting used to the idea of Active Dice versus Set-Aside dice, and that you can keep rolling so long as at least one die gets set aside. We also screwed up passing the starting player piece which made for some weirdness at the end. I took the King first, but I'd been starting player. So the second player then rolled and took the King, and then the third player. Since you're supposed to that a final round after that, the second and third player went again, with each taking the King and then I went and managed to pull it back. It felt a little screwy.

Overall we liked it, but it is one of those games that will play substantially better on the second attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice session report for a good little game. Just had to comment on your quote...

edige23 wrote:
I took the King first, but I'd been starting player. So the second player then rolled and took the King, and then the third player. Since you're supposed to that a final round after that, the second and third player went again, with each taking the King and then I went and managed to pull it back. It felt a little screwy.

When a person takes the King, the rest of the round plays out with the remaining players trying to get a card from the table like usual. (They cannot steal the King.) Then you have a final round where everyone else tries to steal the King. After everyone has gone, if the original King-holder lost the King, he can try to steal it back (with the advantage that he can tie the one who stole it).

This mechanic basically enables everyone to have an equal number of turns (and an equal number of cards, assuming no one had to take the Charlaton and excluding the King) before the final round.

For example, say 3 people (A, B, and C) are playing. At the start of the round, Player A got the Bishop. Then Player B got the king (and queen). Player C then takes a regular turn and gets the General. Now the final round starts, with Players A and C trying to steal the King. If either is successful, then B can try to steal it back.

Therefore, if the last player in a round gets the king, then you immediately jump to the final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Francis
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
explanation does not equal excuse
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch-- and that makes game sense. I can see where that would balance things out-- giving everyone a chance to have the character cards necessary for the final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.