Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed on bgg it says 2-6 player but on box it's 3-6 player. Does anyone know if there is a 2 player variant available or they came up with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just came out here in the Netherlands and I was surprised at the 3-6 player recommendation.

I've just read the (very short) rules and the only thing that might not work is flipping the cards and grabbing the one you like. This could be altered by flipping three cards in the middle and each having to pick two (the fourth must be from the pile)

Or simply dealing out a random card and drop the entire 'grab first' ordeal (which seems a bit tacked on imho).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Vigil
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight, I am going to try this as a 2 player variant...

Preparation Difference:

Shuffle the truck cards and deal out the trucks to both players. Players may examine their stack of truck cards.

Game Play Differences:

Step 1: Each player selects 3 trucks from their stack of cards and places them face down in front of themselves.

Step 2: Receive Loads (as normal)

Step 3: Players simultaneously flip over TWO of the 3 truck cards in front of them, thus leaving 1 of the truck cards face down. Both players now race to be the first to grab a face up truck card from in front of the other player. The loser must take the other player's face down truck card. All unselected trucks return to the player's stack of truck cards.

Continue the rest of the game round as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tjvigil66 wrote:
Tonight, I am going to try this as a 2 player variant...

So, how did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Vigil
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My original variant didn't play out very well after all. However, we did try another variant based on game mechanics from Small World that was very entertaining. It kept my wife's attention for two full hours and we could have played longer if it weren't so late.

On with the show...

Preparation:
Set aside all the blocks, coins & dice so both players can reach them.

Shuffle the truck cards and create a deck of face down cards.
Take the top 5 cards from the deck and lay them face up next to the deck like so...

[Deck] -> [Truck 5] -> [4] -> [3] -> [2] -> [Truck 1]
This is basically the same type of setup used in Small World.cool

Each player receives 75 points in coin. 1x50, 2x5, 5x2 & 5x1

Game Play:
Block Selection - Each player rolls the dice and collects their blocks.

Truck Selection - Whoever has the most block points gets to select their truck first. The first truck in line can be taken at no cost. If don't want the first truck, you can pay not to take it. The cost to not take a truck is equal to the hight value of the truck. You can pay for each truck in line that you don't want in order to select a truck further back in line that you do want. The points paid not to take a truck stay with the truck by stacking the coins in front of the truck. If a player selects a truck that has coins on it later on, they get those coins as well. A new truck is added to the end of the line after each truck is selected.

Truck Stacking - Each player places their blocks in their truck to fill as much of the truck as possible. Points are lost for any unused space in the truck. Unused blocks are held over and added to block counts in future rounds until they are used. When a truck is filled to capacity, points are earned equal to the truck's capacity.

Rounds of play continue until all of the trucks are gone. After the last round of play, players add up their points earned and subtract points for their remaining unused blocks.

Most points wins as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Pack & Stack yet - but I am aware of the rules. It seems to keep some of the flavor of Pack & Stack. But as a whole it sounds to be a very different game (kind of like Bohnanza's two player).

That said, it looks like it be a fun game. Sounds, even better than the the orginal game.

I haven't played Small World yet, but those pay not to use mechanics seem similar to ones used in If Wishes Were Fishes!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van Emde Boas
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hai, In Spielbox ed. 4/2009. describes a 2-player version:

* Get 100 points
* dice twice for goods
* both player opens 2 cars and than they choose two of them.
* Counting is the same.

(Summary of the article)

I have tried it and it works!

Regards

Jeroen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.