United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I ran across this Ebay auction and thought it had a quite intreaging title:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

But it leads me to wonder: what board games are common in Amish communities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, haha! That's just amazing. I don't see amish children playing with a TRUCK though.

I'd guess that Amish people don't have time for board games. They're too busy milking the cows and whatever else you do as an Amish. But I'm sure there are some rebellious Amish who pooled their money together and went into town to buy a copy of Agricola, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samort7 wrote:
what board games are common in Amish communities?

Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Crokinole? The game was invented by Mennonites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... Crokinole is one that comes to mind...

I can say that at Toy Fair each year, we see people who might be Amish, Mennonite, or other members of those types of that communities (I don't ask real detailed questions) visiting and looking at products. They do play games of all sorts, but in general they are very careful about what is acceptable and what isn't.

If you think about it, if those communities aren't watching TV (and they most likely aren't, or aren't keeping up with the 5.5 hours of the rest of the US), they have a lot of time to play games, socialize, and recreate with each other... My understanding is that they play a lot of games, of many different sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ligretto?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:

For the Amish sake I certainly hope not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

A bit off subject, but in Lancaster they're crazy about volleyball. They play late-night with their headlights.

The Amish aren't backward so much as they are inward. Their goal is to not connect to the remainder of the world physically or communally. Many have cell phones now, but they charge off of a generator instead of pulling power off the national grid.

Pretty much any boardgame could be on the table as long as other Amishmen are sitting across the table from them.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I come from a Mennonite background (albeit a more liberal / non-colony branch than those that I'm sure most people are familiar with) and games were pretty commonplace.

As already mentioned, Crokinole and Ligretto were very common and Pinochle is certainly popular among a lot of my grandparents' generation. My grandmother still games a lot in the Mennonite retirement home she's in and I've yet to beat her in Scrabble, despite my decade-long career as a professional writer. Lately, she and her friends have been playing a lot of Golf (the card game) and Skip-Bo. A lot of my friends went to a Mennonite university and games were commonplace in the residences there as well, including the occasional conflict-oriented game like Diplomacy and Risk (which often had an air of being risque ). I've always been curious as to whether Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 is played there and how it might be received - as a lot of the history and theology classes the students take are tightly interwoven with these historical events.

That university also had a giant-sized, full-contact version of Ligretto played by teams in the gymnasium. Each card was an entire sheet of bristol board. A captain on each team would stand on a stepladder as a "spotter" while a group of "flippers" flipped through the card pile and "runners" raced out to the stacks to put them in play. Completely and utterly ridiculous and a heck of a lot of fun.

Mennonites and Amish have a reputation as hard workers but, culturally, they also spend a lot of social time together. Games are a big part of that, particularly those that cross generational lines, can be played in larger groups, and reward repeated play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

A bit off subject, but in Lancaster they're crazy about volleyball. They play late-night with their headlights.

You are NOT kidding. I have witnessed this phenomena. Full gear - button down shirts, work pants, steel-tip boots -- playing volleyball. I was speechless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness, I've known a couple Amish people who play The Farming Game (and of course, Ligretto.) So, after working all day on the farm, what better way to relax than to play a game about...farming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge
badge
My Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
The Amish aren't backward so much as they are inward.

From what I know about them (lived near a community for a couple of years) this is a very good nutshell description of their culture. The community is of the utmost importance to them, so I could see that things like games that strengthen community bonds would be welcomed.

Amish volleyball? Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They'll play almost any boardgame. They love to hunt. I've taught many Amish children as a sub. They play Monopoly and other games at school. They learn how to use computers and are often very good at it. Most families have cell phones.

Yes, Amish children play with toy trucks and tractors and cars and all sorts of toys just as all children do. While there is much work to do, the Amish do believe in recreation time because that is part of living a healthy, balanced life, but it is a recreation time involving being with people - thus games are perfect.

Around here, the Amish love playing softball. I personally belong to a Conference Mennonite Church, which I joined about 4 years ago. Mennonites love board games, even the Conservative Mennonites. As mentioned above, Community is a very important part of the Anabaptist tradition and games really help build community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
In all seriousness, I've known a couple Amish people who play The Farming Game

Good point. I forgot about that one. Stock Ticker as well, oddly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a miniatures game about the Amish Rake Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A side note: i love the tag line in that auction:

"Amish = Living "Green" before "Green" was cool!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
The complete list of Amish games as well as games favored by the Amish can be seen and discussed at www.FortressAmiTrash.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotarski
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This forum is pretty timely for me....I am giving a presentation at my University next week on a religious-socio-economic minority, and I drew the Amish from the had...actually I traded for it because I think the Anabaptist tradition is interesting...

I am supposed to bring in something to add value, so what a great oppurtunity I have to introduce some games to my classmates. I may have to bring in Crokinole and Dutch Blitz!

Thanks for the idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.