Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Ikerd
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With only 6-players at our weekly boardgame gathering, we decided to break out Shadow Hunters instead of breaking into 3 and 3. At first I was disappointed by this because there were people interested in playing Catan: Cities & Knights, something I've been wanting to do for a while. However, by the time we were half-way through the first game of SH, I was so glad we did this instead.

Jeff was the only one with play experience at the table, so he explained the rules as he laid out the board. I was interested to see that I had drawn the Werewolf for my first play. His counter-attack ability is way cool. Having 14 hit points is not a bad thing either.

Jeff opened with a trip to the Church and drew the Silver Rosary. Having seen it in 2 games now, I don't think it's that useful. Most peole never got more than 2 pieces of equipment anyway. Play passed on around the table, and nobody did anything that was too obvious (or if they did, I didn't recognize it). Some fun equipment came out though, Dan picked up the Cursed Sword, which was stolen 2 players later. Amy picked up the Machine Gun, in a location with 2 other players- of course she attacked. devil I went to the Hermit's house and drew a card that moved the player I gave it to to the 7 damage marker. Since Jeff normally wins everything he plays and is the most experienced player, I gave it to him. Everybody thought that was a good idea, until Jeff revealed himself as the Vampire on the next turn and started sucking blood to heal 2 points every round.

The Hunters played it cool though, one attacked the vampire, but it was the only character he could attack; the other attacked her husband. Jeff figured out quickly that I was the other Shadow, so he started drawing attention to himself so that I could stay hidden. The girls were having none of that though, and decided to gang up on me, out of principal I think. Fortunately, Amy had the Machine Gun and the Cleaver, so she got to spread her damage around a lot. Every body was up around 6-7 points of damage when the Eva laid the smack down on me for 5 points. I responded and revealed myself, I took a mighty counter attack... and did 1 point of damage. Don was revealed to be Bob after he was killed. Everybody else dropped the bomb on Jeff, and the Vampire was taken out. I was the next target.

To save myself, I attacked my wife (I know, bad husband) and forced her into a position where she had to reveal herself as Allie so she could be heald back to full hit points. The price I paid for that was that Dan whipped out the Spear of Longinus, and stabbed me. Eva took up the Cursed sword and cut me down. The Hunters and Allie won. However, I don't think that mattered. Everybody was having waaaayyy too much fun shooting and stabbing and cutting up everyone else.

We had so much fun, we did it again with a 7th player added. The advantage of having 7 players is that the Shadows have a target rich environment- they can win by killing 3 innocents or the 2 hunters. that was good for me since I drew the Vampire. I focused on getting Green cards so that I could find out who the other players were. I learned in 2 turns that Jean-Luc was a neutral, and had strong suspicions that Dan might be my partner. I stole the Machine Gun, paired it with the Axe, and lit up Eva in the Church. Unfortunately, that was when we discovered that if both dice come up with the same number, you miss. I was saddened, I was also about to get my fangs handed to me.

Dan was forced to reveal himself as the Werewolf when he started getting wailed on. That of course meant that everyone wailed on him and he died a quick and brutal death. This also meant that Daniel the Martyr had to reveal himself as well. I went after Eva, being fairly certain that she was Allie, and hit her for 6 points. Almost enough to kill her in one hit. She revealed herself and healed, but I had forgotten to reveal myself so I could suck blood. Unfortunately, asking about it tipped my hand, and I became the new target. The game ended fairly quickly from there, but Amy and I enjoyed it so much we bought it from Time Well Spent- Dave comes to our group once a month and delivers games before he settles down to play a few himself.

This is even more fun that Fluxx with 7 players. And the whole shooting, stabbing, and killing innocents and good guys appeals to my Inner-DM.angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this session and thought "Wow, someone else is playing Shadow Hunters"...and lo and behold, you're in Colorado and probably gaming with some of the same people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ikerd
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very possible. We play at the Borders at Park Meadows on Tuesday nights from 5:30 - 9. You can see what we've been playing and who's been there in Jeff's weekly session reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that would be the same group

I figured Jeff might be a coincidence...there are lots of Jeffs running around. But there were lots of other subtle clues.

I somehow missed the TWS comment though, which really would have tipped me off.

I'm up in Thornton, so don't make it down to Denver Games much - some of the weekend sessions. Ever since Lisa and I started bringing Shadowhunters, I'm not sure we've had a session go by without it getting played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.