Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, my name is DasViktor and I am a Carcassonne junkie.

Seriously, now. I came across the game Carcassonne and have since bought it and all of its expansions (except for that crazy one that uses a catapult),

One of the expansions offers two blank tiles, I think it is the Siege expansion. I came up with the idea of making a Plague tile that when laid will wipe out the meeples on any segment it touches. My wife says the plague idea is too macabre. I got to keep her happy as she is the one I play with most.

Anybody else come up with any good ideas to put on the blank tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colony
A neat use for the blank tiles would be to have it trigger a colony mini-game.

When you draw a blank, put it in front of you. Draw again and place that tile on top of the blank and play a meeple to any feature of that tile. It now functions sort of like a cloister. In subsequent turns, if any player can play their tile adjacent or diagonal to your tile, they must and they may place a meeple there if they wish.

If your tile is ever completely surrounded, you may choose where to add that block of tiles to the existing board and all meeples on it score double (if completed or if completed by attaching to existing board). If you never finish your 3x3 set or it can never be legally attached to the board, it is discarded without scoring at the end of the game. Once attached, all meeples go back to scoring normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
see here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/forum/index.php?topic=666....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely innovative idea there IMHO. I have no blank tiles, however your suggestion might be an interesting replacement rule for the catapult.
Forced building next to the fair 'preparation' tiles? Seems thematic, check.
More points for placed fair tiles? Again seems thematic.
Will have to try that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Place it adjacent to a "stuck" meeple to reclaim it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a use similar to a Scabble blank tile.

Sort of you can use it for anything (within reason, no special symbols, but each side could be road, farm, or city) but it doesn't socre points.
But you could complete something you may be waiting on a rare or unique tile configuration, use the blank instead, and score for the rest of the tiles if a feature is completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaroslaw Kuczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
How about a use similar to a Scabble blank tile.

Sort of you can use it for anything (within reason, no special symbols, but each side could be road, farm, or city) but it doesn't socre points.
But you could complete something you may be waiting on a rare or unique tile configuration, use the blank instead, and score for the rest of the tiles if a feature is completed.

You have this type of a tile in Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor (plus it works like a cloister)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
You have this type of a tile in Carcassonne - Abbey & Mayor (plus it works like a cloister)

Not quite, the abbey can only be put into a space where all the other spaces around it (not diagonals) already have tiles placed. In other words it has to fill a tile shaped hole in the game. This sugestion for the blank tile doesn't have that requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
This one only works if you are using The Tower expansion as well. The blank tiles act as "Rescue Me...eple" tile. If you draw a blank tile you put it to one side. If one of your meeples is captured by an opponent you may opt to 'play' the blank tile. You place another meeple on it, "the rescuer" and retrieve your meeple from the opponent. Next turn both meeples, the rescuer and the rescued are available for use. If one of your meeples is already captured when you draw the tile you may use it straight away. The rescue can only release one meeple, the meeple type being rescued (standard, mayor, large etc.) is not taken into consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've just realised that my suggestion above needs some added details.

Quote:
This one only works if you are using The Tower expansion as well. The blank tiles act as "Rescue Me...eple" tile. If you draw a blank tile you put it to one side. If one of your meeples is captured by an opponent you may opt to 'play' the blank tile. You place another meeple on it, "the rescuer" and retrieve your meeple from the opponent. Next turn both meeples, the rescuer and the rescued are available for use. If one of your meeples is already captured when you draw the tile you may use it straight away. The rescue can only release one meeple, the meeple type being rescued (standard, mayor, large etc.) is not taken into consideration.

If you draw the blank tile and use it straight away for a rescue that completes your turn. If however you have put the tile to one side then on the turn you wish to use it you may draw and place another tile as per normal, but during the meeple placing phase of your go the meeple must be placed on the blank tile to affect the rescue. Rescuing your meeple completes your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the pull up a meeple idea. How about any meeple, including opponent's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother had an idea for the blank tiles. It is somewhat unique, but also rather cheap.

You would laminate the tiles, or something to the extent of being able to draw on them with a dry erase marker. When you draw the blank tile, you are allowed to draw any type of tile you wish on there.

I really like the plague idea, I'll have to try that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, gamers,

Thanks for all the great suggestions and links.

We played on Friday night and I let my wife choose how she wanted to play the blank tile. She liked the Scrabble idea where the blank tile could be anything we wanted it to be. They were good for finishing cities that had roads. Even at the end of the game it was easy to remember how they were played.

I like the colony idea and will have to play that next time.

Now I need to find how to get more blank tiles for making some of the cool tiles mentioned. Any leads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.