Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So maybe I'm a complete fool. I'm having a little trouble learning the procedure for the placement of the auction markers at the beginning of the game. I'm still learning. If the starting player (the one with the flag) places the flag with the 1 marker, then the 2nd player places their 2 marker. I place my 3rd marker and then it ends???? So what do I do then. I still have a two marker being the starting player, and my opponent (player two) has a 1 and 3 marker. Can someone help me decipher what I am suppose to do shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it right. The other tokens get used when your opponent is the flag bearer.

The other thing to make sure is that if you win the other player's #2 auction, you pay him, not the bank. However, if you win your #1 or #3 auction, you pay the bank. (And vice versa.) This is the part my fiancé and I got wrong the first time we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
You got it right. The other tokens get used when your opponent is the flag bearer.

The other thing to make sure is that if you win the other player's #2 auction, you pay him, not the bank. However, if you win your #1 or #3 auction, you pay the bank. (And vice versa.) This is the part my fiancé and I got wrong the first time we played.

so essentially were just buying 3 things. 1-the flag. 2. a tile, 3 another tile. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is right.

Also, in Goa do not underestimate the power of going first. That free action is powerful. It also alows you to select where the next auction will begin...

Goa is all about limited actions, therefore, securing more actions then your opponent can be very important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
Yes, that is right.

Also, in Goa do not underestimate the power of going first. That free action is powerful. It also alows you to select where the next auction will begin...

Goa is all about limited actions, therefore, securing more actions then your opponent can be very important.

it looks like the auction phase ends when all the tiles are played. then we start the action phase. every player gets three actions. but every time you win the starting player flag you get an action card. Hopefully i'm right so far. the action card gives you another action i think. Do you have to use those immediately or can you hold them and use them at your discretion. Also; if your the starting player and you defend the possession of the starting player flag do you still recieve the additional action card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it says in the rules that you can only have one action card in your hand at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
I believe it says in the rules that you can only have one action card in your hand at the end of your turn.

okay, thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I also initiated a bidding phase with my wife and were learning the game as we speak. I am having trouble with the fact that people are supposed to bid ONCE. Does this mean the bidding starts at 0 then player 2 says say 3 dukats i have to then bid 4 and automatically win it. Or should eat be played like powergrid where you both bid until the highest bidder wins. (personally in a 2 player game i think the latter would work better, but am I completly missing the purpose then or is this simply the mechanic that should be used in a 2 player game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 time through, the owner of the token that is on the tile currently being auctioned can always win their tile if they have the cash - it goes to the bank in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:

Correct. You can acquire several actions in a turn, but must use them if you have more then one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
joshp wrote:

Correct. You can acquire several actions in a turn, but must use them if you have more then one.

I Understand the game now and it is awesome. One last item. So there are four rounds in each parts A + B. Is this the correct way to do it

Round 1
Auction phase, then each player takes their 3 actions one at a time. After the 3 actions are done. Each player then may use their additional action cards, but may carry one over round to round. After this action phase, we do another bidding round. We do this a total of 4 times and then we switch to the next part, which would be part B. We do the same thing with part B and then the game ends and we score victory points. I think I am correct on how the event of the game are suppose to be played now. Correct me if I'm wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds perfect. Remember also the rules to the drawing of expedition cards. Two ways - discard before you draw so you can never have more than your limit. Or draw and then discard down to the limit. The first is the way the rules I have are, but I have seen others play it the other way; might be some rules changes in versions perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Sounds perfect. Remember also the rules to the drawing of expedition cards. Two ways - discard before you draw so you can never have more than your limit. Or draw and then discard down to the limit. The first is the way the rules I have are, but I have seen others play it the other way; might be some rules changes in versions perhaps.

so how can you get 5-6 cards in your hand at the end of the game for vp's when it seems like you can only have a max of four cards according to the progression board. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do remember some of the tiles can break the rule until you use the ability again.

Expedition: The player receives two or three expedition cards.
(Note: Since you do not receive these expedition cards by taking the expedition action, your hand limit does not apply.)

Expedition Action:
The player draws the number of expedition cards indicated, but cannot draw above the hand limit. You may discard expedition cards at any time during this to be able to draw more cards. (Up to the drawing limit) Example: The red player is on the second row of the expedition column (1 2) and has 2 cards. They can’t draw their 1 card unless they first discard a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.. I came here wanting to ask question regarding 2 player auction.. and I wasn't sure how once around auction works as a 2 player.. but it's all answered now.

Also another rule we missed was the fact that if you win plantation tile, through auction or through colony.. you immediately get the spices for that tile.

This wasn't clear in the rule until I saw the turn example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.