BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: More sabotage suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thor Jensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, i play with a small group of friends, between 4-7 players, and we are just starting out, although we are all veteran gamers, having played dungeons and dragons for over 10 years, and a few of us have played a few boardgames aswell.

Right now we are sorta stuck, we are too heavily into steve jackson i think, and too much is card games;

Frag
Munchkin (+2 expansions)
Chez Geek (+3 or 4 expansions)
Ninja Burger

And i am getting Junta and Ninjaburger expansion in a day or 2. But i am looking for a new game. Junta and Ninja Burger is the style we are after.
It involves:
some luck
some bluffing
some brains
alot of sabotaging the other players.

The sabotaging is the most important part in my oppinion. Nothing gets a laugh like a well thought out plan laid to waste by sabotage
We are trying to avoid munchkin because it has too few sabotage features, and after 6 turns people have stockpiled enough bonuses to become unstoppable. Also we are trying to avoid more card games for the time being, although i am planning to get Hacker at some point.
Are there any more games like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a card game which you may want to get away from, but I think that Citadels has what you are looking for. Involves a good deal of bluffing and luck. There are card roles of Assassin, Thief, and Warlord that can really ruin an opponents plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns -- card game, but should appeal to your players.

Ca$h 'n Gun$ -- for a real change of pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randougall wrote:
It's a card game which you may want to get away from, but I think that Citadels has what you are looking for. Involves a good deal of bluffing and luck. There are card roles of Assassin, Thief, and Warlord that can really ruin an opponents plans.

Yep, Citadels was the first game that came to mind and is probably the best fit (except it's a card game).

If you need a board game, rather than a card game, then RoboRally, Ys and even Catan might be worth checking out (the second two are a bit of a departure from what you're used to playing).

Saboteur is another card game that might go down well with your group, but you do really need a minimum of five players. The games title says it all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was ready to recommend Infernal Contraption+Infernal Contraption 2: Sabotage!, but it only plays up to 4.

Cosmic Encounter would also be good, but it only plays up to 5.

However, I will throw in another vote for Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nichodemus wrote:
Hi, i play with a small group of friends, between 4-7 players, and we are just starting out, although we are all veteran gamers, having played dungeons and dragons for over 10 years, and a few of us have played a few boardgames aswell.
---snip---
And i am getting Junta and Ninjaburger expansion in a day or 2. But i am looking for a new game. Junta and Ninja Burger is the style we are after.
It involves:
some luck
some bluffing
some brains
alot of sabotaging the other players.

The sabotaging is the most important part in my oppinion. Nothing gets a laugh like a well thought out plan laid to waste by sabotage
We are trying to avoid munchkin because it has too few sabotage features, and after 6 turns people have stockpiled enough bonuses to become unstoppable. Also we are trying to avoid more card games for the time being, although i am planning to get Hacker at some point.
Are there any more games like that?

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game says it all. First of all, it's immersive team play. I use the phrase "Strategic Roleplaying on a board(game)". Perfect for roleplayers new to boardgaming. It has a few similarities to Junta, some cards, some co-operation, and hidden sabatoging. It plays 3-6 players, but I imagine playing a seventh character wouldn't upset things much. Just play with 3 cylons and no sympathizers.

Luck equates to card draws. Bluffing "You're a fracking toaster!" "No I'm NOT, you are!" Brains: figuring out who's got access to the sabatoge cards in the skill checks. And who's playing sub-optimal, not because they don't know better, but because they're a Fraccing Skinjob!.

Gerry
ps. Remind me to put my copies of Hacker/Hacker II up for sale. I just don't get them out anymore. ghs2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuval Grinspun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See my geeklist for related games. Not all have luck, but they all fit your other criteria.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38895

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the already mentioned Citadels and Roborally, I would add Junta. It plays up to 7 (best with 7 in fact) and is a lot of fun with the right people. With people who don't like to backstab each other though, it can be boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:

Absolutely. None better in my opinion. You don't even need to watch the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Battlestar Galactica.

So good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune if you can get it. Cutthroat enough for anyone.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor Jensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks guys, now i have a few games to look into
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.