Josh Johnson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools

The rules state:
"On the very first turn of the Canal Period you only play
one card. You can combine two actions into one."

Combining two actions into one requires that you play two cards. Is this a typo? Should it say "You canNOT combine two actions into one."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do not have the rules in front of me, but you are correct. You cannot play two cards to place anywhere you want on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camp Mora
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand you cannot build anywhere. But, as you have no tile on the board, you can use an industry card to build anywhere with the matching symbol. No need to connect to another tile or channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The rules actually say:

Quote:
One set of actions consists of playing one card, then performing one
action with that card, then playing a second card and performing a
second action with that card. Thus each player will play two cards in
all and perform two actions during their turn.

EXCEPTIONS: On the very first turn of the Canal Period you only play
one card. You can combine two actions into one.

These two sentences are actually two independent exceptions. It would probably be better phrased as:

Quote:
EXCEPTIONS:

1) On the very first turn of the Canal Period you only play one card.
2) You can combine two actions into one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a typo, as this is just part of the general description of exceptions:

Brass Rulebook wrote:
EXCEPTIONS: On the very first turn of the Canal Period you only play one card. You can combine two actions into one (see below).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed to death here before. The problem arises because everyone takes the quote out of context.

Rules wrote:
One set of actions consists of playing one card, then performing one
action with that card, then playing a second card and performing a
second action with that card. Thus each player will play two cards in
all and perform two actions during their turn.
EXCEPTIONS: On the very first turn of the Canal Period you only play
one card. You can combine two actions into one (see below).

So those two sentences describe two separate exceptions to the above rule. First, you only get one action on the first turn. Second, if you have two actions, you may combine them into a single, special action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is an old question but easy to miss - I find it much too time-consuming to scan every question that has ever been asked to see if a given question has been asked before. If all rules questions were asked in the "Rules" folder (as opposed to the "General" folder) and if everyone stated their question in the subject line, it might just be do-able - but still a chore.

But, that kind of discipline is distinctly lacking here. So, berating someone new to the game by pointing out that their question has been "discussed to death" simply demonstrates that you are, as Clik & Clak would say, "unencumbered by the thought process."

But yes, the structure/editing of the rules makes it very easy to miss this contextual issue, and the question has been accurately answered. An additional related issue also came up in this regard and that is the note from the developer that the so-called "mercy rule" applies any time you have no presence whatever on the board.

If, for example, at the start of the Rail Period you find yourself without any type 2 (or better) buildings you could build anywhere with the play of a single card - not just on the first turn. You would then follow this with your second "normal" card play. So, while you can "combine your two actions into one" anytime beyond the first turn, you are not forced into using this method of getting started in the Rail Period in the event you are erased from the board at the end of the Canal Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, perhaps my wording could have been better selected, but I don't think there is a reason to start insinuating that I might be lacking in mental faculties (took me 4 hours with a Thesarus that sentence did ).

I also don't think the low usability of the Rules forums is a good justification for encouraging a behaviour which further degrades usability - namely the posting of repeated questions. As such, I felt it was prudent to point out the transgression. I also did provide an answer, so it wasn't like I was just being unhelpful and grumpy.

That aside, I don't think the rules forums are as bad as you describe, and, even so, if you allow yourself to become "encumbered by the thought process" there are some ways to easily find what you are looking for. For example, most rules questions will at somepoint lead to someone quoting a rule, either in the original question or in a response, so useful information can be found as follows:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22You+can+combine+two+action...

Even without specific rules quotes, some key terms can still be enough to find you an answer:
http://www.google.com/search?q=combine+actions+first+turn+br...

So, there really is no excuse in my opinion for posting the same question more than once. I will continue to discourage users from doing so, although I'll take your point and temper my language.

Edit: damn commas add second url
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, fair enough - and I withdraw the "berating" accusation as well. I really wonder however how many folks that frequent this place use the techniques you described. It would be nice to think a lot did. Using the forums the way they were intended would help even more; but such is the democratic anarchy that typifies the Geek. I prefer to simply accept that there are no "stupid" questions and skip the thread if I already know the answer and aren't satisfied to simply answer it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.