Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am sorry if these have been discussed before:

1. Is there no way of "bookmarking" a game I find interesting? I could add it the list of games I own, even if I don't - but I think that's not really what the list of owned games is for...
Or did I miss something here?

2. Shouldn't the "Add Favorite" link on GeekLists change to "Remove Favorite" if you are viewing a list that is already in your list of favorites? Just like the "Bookmark" link on forum topics changes to "UnBookmark". Is there any other way to tell whether I already "favorited" a list just by looking at the list itself - and not at the list of favorite lists?

3. When reading a forum thread the path to the thread is given as links like in the following example (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/350301):

King of Siam >> Rules
Subject: British colony

Shouldn't there also be a direct link to page of all King of Siam forums? Like this:

King of Siam >> Forums >> Rules

I have repeatedly had the problem of going from the main game page to one forum thread and then searching for an easy, direct way to go to the forum index of this game - just to discover there isn't one: you have to go to "Rules" first and then go on to "Forums".

Sorry again if my post is redundant!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:
Hello,

1. Is there no way of "bookmarking" a game I find interesting? I could add it the list of games I own, even if I don't - but I think that's not really what the list of owned games is for...

Using the same collection area you can put it on a 'wishlist' instead of marking as owned.

Also, near the top of each page is an entry box labeled 'your tags' You can add a tag (call it what you want). Then under 'My Geek' you can look at 'tags' and see everything you've tagged sorted by the tab you used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:
Hello,

You could use the quick bar at the top right of the page. Go to a game page and click one of the crosses on the list to add a link to that page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious one not mentioned so far is to tick the "notify content" box, then you've marked it, and in addition you'll get a geekmail whenever something new gets added. The system makes it very easy to get a list of all the games you've marked this way that you don't own, etc.

You can also mark games as "want to buy", or "want to play". Using those carefully can thus give you four completely independent lists that you can view any time (along with owned and wishlist).

You could even use the "Previously owned" and "pre-ordered" for your own purposes to get up to 6 separate lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Three user interface questions/suggestions
Hello,

first of all: sorry for the typos - I did read it through before I posted it, but obviously not thoroughly enough...

Thank you for your suggestions: I was going to reply that I like the "Quick Bar" solution best, but that it still was not what I was looking for... But then I found out that the "Collection" utility is actually quite powerful - and that it doesn't by default mark the games as owned, but only puts them in the collection list, which is exactly what I was looking for. And I found out that a game can be added to this list by simply clicking "Record Information" in the "User Information" area of the game page - which is good because I found the collection management tool a bit too cumbersome for just adding a bookmark...

So, thanks to you, question 1 is solved. On to the other two... ;-)

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The obvious one not mentioned so far is to tick the "notify content" box, then you've marked it, and in addition you'll get a geekmail whenever something new gets added. The system makes it very easy to get a list of all the games you've marked this way that you don't own, etc.

You can also mark games as "want to buy", or "want to play". Using those carefully can thus give you four completely independent lists that you can view any time (along with owned and wishlist).

You could even use the "Previously owned" and "pre-ordered" for your own purposes to get up to 6 separate lists.

Seems like we crossposted... As I just wrote I now found out some of that myself, but I hadn't noticed the "notify content" box yet... Thanks!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:
1. Is there no way of "bookmarking" a game I find interesting?
What do you wish to achieve? Perhaps you want to check "Notify Content" in the USER INFORMATION module on the game page. That will alert you to new threads.

davidmihola wrote:
3. ...I have repeatedly had the problem of going from the main game page to one forum thread and then searching for an easy, direct way to go to the forum index of this game
I have a vague memory that I used to do something in that manner that is no longer available. At this time, you can click directly on BROWSE in the FORUM module on the game page and it will jump to the index you suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Three user interface questions/suggestions
TVis wrote:

At this time, you can click directly on BROWSE in the FORUM module on the game page and it will jump to the index you suggest.

That's true and I am using this from time to time... But it somehow seems strange that in the single thread view a part of the hierarchy is displayed but that one level ("Forums") is left out...

Oh, and problem 1 is solved: I only wanted to have list of games that I want to come back for some reason - but now found out that BGG can do a lot more... :-)

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmihola wrote:
Shouldn't there also be a direct link to page of all King of Siam forums? Like this:

Just now I have observed that the system must have changed. The FORUMS item does now appear in the header as you wished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
davidmihola wrote:

Just now I have observed that the system must have changed. The FORUMS item does now appear in the header as you wished.

You're right! Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed that before...

Thanks a lot to whoever is responsible for the change!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.