Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Greer
United States
Mint Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us are married or live with a significant other. Many times we will play games with our SO because frankly, we don't have a lot of gamers to play with. Its great if you have an SO who is willing to humor you and your hobby.

Having said that, Agricola is a great game at any level. By far the best Eurogame I have ever played. Believe the hype, this is a great game. Why is it great? Many reasons I will mention below. This is a review of my impressions of the game. For more details on gameplay, read the published rules at Z-man's website.

1. Presentation 4/5

Solid artwork on the boards and cards. The game comes with standard wooden pieces similar to other Eurogames.

2. Replayability 5/5

Due to the 3 different card decks in the game, the game has endless possibilities for replay. No 2 games are exctly alike. Also the amount of cards available and the board options increase as you increase the amount of players. The game scales well for increased difficulty and increases in number of players.

3. Wife Test 5/5

My wife hates roleplay games, epic war games, games where killing other things is important to winning and overly complex games. She is suited to Eurogames by default. She enjoys settlers, and Carcassonne. She loves Agricola. For some reason, the passive aggressive nature of Eurogames has "wife who likes to play UNO and Life" appeal.

Final thought

Agricola is a mandatory addition to any collection. One of the best general audience games out there. Has enough depth and replayability for advanced gamers. The game time is reasonable at about 45 minutes per player between my wife and I. Minimal down time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Walter,

I'm a girlfriend AND a gamer. It is possible to be both. I think LordDillon would play with me even if he had a lot of gamers to play with, by which I think you mean "guy gamer friends".

I don't humor LordDillon. It is my hobby as much as, if not more than, his.

I'm glad that you enjoy Agricola. We do too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
Indigo, we're buddies, right? Can we talk... Surely, you realize that you are the exception, rather than the rule, right?
The only games most guys could talk their SOs into are the types of games that we don't want to play. I got my wife to play a game of 18EZ, and afterward she had all kinds of ideas about how we could make it more like Monopoly. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP could have been much improved with some clarification:

"Some of us have significant others who aren't into gaming. Sometimes we play with our significant others who aren't gamers because we don't have gamers around."

That's different than painting a broad picture about wives/girlfriends. That's all I'm saying. I understand that many people have non-gaming significant others, and I sympathize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I agree. That's why I, personally, never make blanket statements...

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
drewdane wrote:
Indigo, we're buddies, right? Can we talk... Surely, you realize that you are the exception, rather than the rule, right?
The only games most guys could talk their SOs into are the types of games that we don't want to play. I got my wife to play a game of 18EZ, and afterward she had all kinds of ideas about how we could make it more like Monopoly. :shake:

I've played your 18EZ, amd I agree with your wife. It would be better if it were more like monopoly.

Why must we hijack threads?

Edit: I felt I needed to add something relevant:

I don't have a girlfriend/wife (shocker!), but I do live close to my folks. This year they bought me a couple games (Wasabi! and Pompeii) and my mother fell in love with Wasabi. I then purchased Ticket to Ride because of its gateway nature. I have mother playing Agricola now, and she loves it as well. It's thematic enough to keep her interest, and its elegant enough that she enjoys actually playing and re-playing the game.

I think thats what makes Agricola stand out the most; it has just the right amount of theme, along with an elegant almost seamless game design
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is an awesome person and a gamer and that makes me a lucky man. Agricola is our favorite as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Sippi wrote:

I've played your 18EZ, amd I agree with your wife. It would be better if it were more like monopoly.
I don't recall you coming to the house, but if you say you've played a game of which only one copy exists, that has to be where you did so.

(this is the part where you say "your wife had me over while you were gone")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife never played anything before she met me. Except possibly dragged into the fourth seat of Mahjongg twice in her life.

She is a "non gamer". I know that because she says so. And it's true she would never play a game except to spend some time together with me.

So... here's some things we've tried that a "non gamer" might play, enjoy, and often win... in order to "humour me in my hobby"...
30 (!) games my 'non gaming wife' has repeatedly asked to play

And I gotta tell you, she's a tough opponent but a good humoured one, she doesn't take the playing too seriously, and she's someone I definitely enjoy playing with more than with most "gamers".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not mine.

Hell, even I won't play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.