Paul Dixon
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What did geeks obsess over before Tolkien, SF literature in the 50's (Asimov, Heinlein etc), and SF cinema and TV in the late 60's and 70's (Star Trek and Star Wars)?

I know they had HG Wells and Jules Verne, but it seems to me that the largest thematic influences to Geekiness just weren't around before WW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they talked about their etchings a lot.

And there was Lord Dunsany, and probably a lot of other fantasy writes too, not just Wells and Verne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ear trumpets and the dropsy, I should think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, back in the olden days instead of playing wargames, they waged wars. Lots of 'em. All over Europe.

My suspicion is that they felt it was their responsibility to lay the groundwork for the recreational pastimes of generations yet to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
For starters, Daddy-O, they didn't refer to us clowns as geeks, in those days we were squares.

Not everyone can be a hep cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Expanding Man wrote:
What did geeks obsess over before Tolkien, SF literature in the 50's (Asimov, Heinlein etc), and SF cinema and TV in the late 60's and 70's (Star Trek and Star Wars)?

How to survive on low wages.

Except for the few lucky ones that belonged to the wealthy elite. They became mathematicians, or other kinds of scientists, or writers, etc.
But most of the modern geeky 'obsessing' is probably a side effect of economic affluence. Well, that's too say, there probably always has been geekiness, but it can only really be expressed in conditions of sufficient wealth (and/or economic security).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dixon
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
The Expanding Man wrote:

How to survive on low wages.

Except for the few lucky ones that belonged to the wealthy elite. They became mathematicians, or other kinds of scientists, or writers, etc.
But most of the modern geeky 'obsessing' is probably a side effect of economic affluence. Well, that's too say, there probably always has been geekiness, but it can only really be expressed in conditions of sufficient wealth (and/or economic security).

Nothing beats the brutal truth !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.