Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated for the new almost-RPG Geek.

For those of us updating play data programatically, you'll need to post the following data:

URL to post to: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekplay.php

DATA to post:
Quote:
dummy=1&ajax=1&action=save&version=2&objecttype=thing&objectid=7218&playid=&action=save&playdate=2009-02-26&dateinput=2009-02-26&YUIButton=&location=&quantity=3&length=34&incomplete=0&nowinstats=0&comments=Laurel%20%26%20Hardy%20joined%20us&players[1][playerid]=&players[1][name]=Joe&players[1][username]=Joe Casadonte&players[1][color]=Blue&players[1][position]=1&players[1][score]=118&players[1][rating]=6.5&players[1][new]=1&players[1][win]=1&players[2][playerid]=&players[2][name]=Will&players[2][username]=&players[2][color]=Red&players[2][position]=1&players[2][score]=64&players[2][rating]=10&players[2][new]=1&players[2][win]=0

where:

objectid - the BGG game number
playdate - the play date in YYYY-MM-DD format
dateinput - today's date in YYYY-MM-DD format
location - encoded string (e.g. "Jim's House" would be "Jim's%20House", without the quotes)
quantity - the number of plays to record
length - the length of the game in minutes
comments - the encoded comments
incomplete - set to '1' (without the quotes) if the game was incomplete, '0' otherwise
nowinstats - set to '1' (without the quotes) to not record win stats, '0' otherwise

Player information can be added in like so (and also left off completely):

players[x][playerid] - no idea what this is
players[x][name] - the player's name
players[x][username] - no idea -- BGG name maybe?
players[x][color] - player color
players[x][position] - start position?
players[x][score] - player's score
players[x][rating] - players rating (presumably on a BGG scale)
players[x][new] - set to '1' (without the quotes) if this player was new to the game, '0' otherwise
players[x][win] - set to '1' (without the quotes) if this player won, '0' otherwise

with [x] being a sequential number (e.g. players[1][name]&players[1][color]&players[2][name]&players[2][color])

=====

First you need to set a cookie with your user ID and encoded password; in Perl, the whole transaction would look something like this:

Quote:
my($ua) = new LWP::UserAgent;

my($url) = "http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekplay.php?dummy=1&ajax=1&action=save&version=2&objecttype=thing&objectid=$data->{'BGGID'}&playid=&action=save&playdate=$data->{'PlayDate'}&dateinput=$today&YUIButton=&location=&quantity=$data->{'PlayQty'}&length=&incomplete=0&nowinstats=0&comments=";

my($req) = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $url);

my(@dateparts) = localtime(time);
my($today) = sprintf('%04d-%02d-%02d', $dateparts[5]+1900, $dateparts[4]+1, $dateparts[3]);

my($cookies) = new HTTP::Cookies;
$cookies->set_cookie(0, "bggusername", "Joe+Casadonte", "/", ".boardgamegeek.com");
$cookies->set_cookie(0, "bggpassword", "SOME ENCODED VALUE", "/", ".boardgamegeek.com");

$ua->cookie_jar($cookies);

my($resp) = $ua->request($req);

Where $data->{'foo'} has to be supplied by your program, and "SOME ENCODED VALUE" is the actual value of your cookie (I'll leave that exercise up to the reader).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us lazy folks, here's a compilable example:
Quote:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use LWP;

my($today) = sprintf('%04d-%02d-%02d', $dateparts[5]+1900, $dateparts[4]+1, $dateparts[3]);

my $data;
$data->{'BGGID'} = 41550;
$data->{'PlayDate'} = $today;
$data->{'PlayQty'} = 1;
my $bggUserName = "You probably don't want to hard-code this."; # e.g. Joe+Casadonte
my $EncryptedPasswordCookie = "Seriously, you probably don't want to hard-code this."; # e.g. AAugi7faqE3gN

my($url) = "http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekplay.php?dummy=1&ajax=1&action=save&version=2&objecttype=thing&objectid=$data->{'BGGID'}&playid=&action=save&playdate=$data->{'PlayDate'}&dateinput=$today&YUIBut

my($req) = HTTP::Request->new(GET => $url);

$cookies->set_cookie(0, "bggusername", $bggUserName, "/", ".boardgamegeek.com");
$cookies->set_cookie(0, "bggpassword", $EncryptedPasswordCookie, "/", ".boardgamegeek.com");

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason this has stopped working for me; is it working for anyone else, still?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally had a chance to try out my theory as to what was wrong, and indeed I found and fixed the issue. The GET method no longer works; you now have to use the POST method, which is just 2 extra lines of code. Here's a full example ala zefquaavius:

Quote:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use LWP;

my $data = {};
$data->{'BGGID'} = 41550;
$data->{'PlayDate'} = $today;
$data->{'PlayQty'} = 1;
my $bggUserName = "You probably don't want to hard-code this."; # e.g. Joe+Casadonte
my $EncryptedPasswordCookie = "Seriously, you probably don't want to hard-code this."; # e.g. AAugi7faqE3gN

my($req) = HTTP::Request->new(POST => 'http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekplay.php');
$req->content_type('application/x-www-form-urlencoded');
$req->content("dummy=1&ajax=1&action=save&version=2&objecttype=thing&objectid=$data->{'BGGID'}&playid=&action=save&playdate=$data->{'PlayDate'}&dateinput=$today&YUIButton=&location=&quantity=$data->{'PlayQty'}&length=&incomplete=0&nowinstats=0&twitter=0&twitter_username=&twitter_password=&comments=");

$cookies->set_cookie(0, "bggusername", $bggUserName, "/", ".boardgamegeek.com");
$cookies->set_cookie(0, "bggpassword", $EncryptedPasswordCookie, "/", ".boardgamegeek.com");

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep getting "Invalid Action".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekplay.php?dummy=1&ajax=1&act...
&version=2&objecttype=thing&objectid=40692&playid=
&playdate=2009-05-14&dateinput=&YUIButton=&location=&quantity=1
&length=&incomplete=0&nowinstats=0&twitter=0&twitter_username=
&twitter_password=&comments=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling,

You can no longer do this via a GET action (passing the arguments in on the URL). It must be done as a POST action (passed in via content). Here are some links on the difference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/46585/when-do-you-use-pos...

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/methods.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Sterling,

You can no longer do this via a GET action (passing the arguments in on the URL). It must be done as a POST action (passed in via content). Here are some links on the difference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/46585/when-do-you-use-pos...

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/methods.html
That's too bad.

I create the URL in Excel and just click on it. I did not set up a complete perl script etc. All I wanted was a link I could click to register the game. I guess that ends my logging games then.

So would I have to create a web page for each game logged? That could be hundreds of web pages. Any way to do a POST from within Excel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do it with a macro in VBA - Excel still uses Visual Basic for Applications, right? If you want to send me your file, I could try modding it for you. GM me if you're interested.

...or I could set up a script that takes GET-style arguments like you've done, and then POSTs it to BGG....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
or I could set up a script that takes GET-style arguments like you've done, and then POSTs it to BGG....

The only problem being the password that needs to be set.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.