Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. For all you stats savvy geeks, time for the big question. Which statistical package do you prefer? I have some experience with:

Minitab - hated
SPSS - easy to use but some versions don't compute split plot ANOVAs
SAS - currently learning and enjoying
R - no experience what so ever

Which do you prefer and why?
If you have used R, how do you like it? is it worth learning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Amy's learning/working with R right now. I'll make sure she sees your thread in a timely manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you left out the obvious winner: BMDP. But if I have to choose from yours, then you left out SPSSx, so you failed again. Finally, of the ones you mentioned, SAS is probably the most enjoyable from a pure data processing standpoint. It's so much more robust than its original purpose requires that it's hard not to just love it to pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPSS is "easy to use?" Now I am feeling a bit dumb. I hated that program with my heart and soul when I was in college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LessPaul wrote:
SPSS is "easy to use?" Now I am feeling a bit dumb. I hated that program with my heart and soul when I was in college.

It is easy to use in that if you know what test you want to perform, you can simply select it from a drop down menu and drag-and-drop the variables of interest (same with Minitab as I recall). With SAS or R you have to learn a "programming language" of commands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Well, you left out the obvious winner: BMDP. But if I have to choose from yours, then you left out SPSSx, so you failed again.

I only listed the ones I had heard of or used (really, I'm interested in who uses which program? why? and should I bother learning R? or should I learn something else?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well all the best epidemiologists from the 80's and 90's used BMDP! I have no idea if it's still popular, or indeed who gives a damn about epidemiology, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to really use R fully. It seems to be pretty straight forward but with a lot of flexibility.

I'm doing bioinformatics, and there are a lot of packages and libraries available already for R in Bioconductor. So R is the statistical language of choice for bioinformaticians, I believe.

What do you want to use a statistical programming language for? What are you looking for in it? What kinds of data do you need to analyze?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Warcholak wrote:
If the job is lighter on data manipulation and requires moderate to heavy statistical analysis, I prefer SPSS. If the job requires heavy data manipulation or obscure statistical tests, I prefer SAS, though I use its GUI (Enterprise Guide), as much as I can.

I agree with the above, though I use SAS pretty much exclusively.

The only thing that I don't like about SAS is that without the matrix language it can sometimes be difficult to get the data manipulated the way your would like and with SAS's matrix language is seemingly very slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

What do you want to use a statistical programming language for? What are you looking for in it? What kinds of data do you need to analyze?

I'm currently in a Psychology doctoral program. Most of the analysis that I do is of the mixed design ANOVA variety (multiple groups tested at multiple time points).

One problem that I run into often is that the data I generate requires a lot of reformatting to arrange properly for SPSS (and/or Minitab) because I usually have to merge the time point x variable data matrix for each participant into an overall subject x variable matrix. I have yet to try fitting it into SAS without reformatting it though (not quite sure how to go about it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
amwiles wrote:

I'm currently in a Psychology doctoral program. Most of the analysis that I do is of the mixed design ANOVA variety (multiple groups tested at multiple time points).

One problem that I run into often is that the data I generate requires a lot of reformatting to arrange properly for SPSS (and/or Minitab) because I usually have to merge the time point x variable data matrix for each participant into an overall subject x variable matrix. I have yet to try fitting it into SAS without reformatting it though (not quite sure how to go about it).

I use SQL to manage all of my data, which is really a simple language, for basic things. Data formatting manipulation was always difficult for me until I started using SQL.

The course I took on R made it seem that ANOVA was very straight forward and it was pretty easy to manipulate the data format for the analysis as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.