United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I, like many others, got one of the moldy-as-hell copies of Duel in the Dark. Zev was very helpful about providing a new insert and cards, but man that smell will not quit. It's like a combination of gasoline and Jason Voorhees' ass-crack. It's awful.

So inspired by Hivegod's tale I decided to attack the stench head on. I work in a fairly large IT department so we tend to get lots of those little desiccant packets. I went on the prowl hunting them down, then like a gift from the gods HP was kind enough to send us a massive crate of hard drives and inside was a roughly 1/4 pound desiccant package. Score!

I went home that night and cracked open the box. Foul spirits howled and clawed at my flesh. They knew their time was at an end. I tossed three dryer sheets into the bottom of the box, the insert and one in the book. Then I dropped the desiccant inside right next to the German fighters. I swear I could hear the box hiss as it made contact and spirits railed an gnashed their teeth as I forced the slightly warped box lid closed.

About 10 hours later I got up and went to the box and opened it. Immediately I realized I didn't have to pry the damn box open. The noticeable warp had already gotten much better. Then I notice the stench as it tried to kill me as it usually does. It just didn't seem to have quite the same kick to it today.

I think I'll leave the box as-is for a week or so and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Desicants will "Hydrate". (The crystals will stop aborbing moisture.) You may need to re-dry them out. I would suggest baking them at a very low temp 250 deg. for about 1/2 hour. We use a cartridge in a container system for patients hearing aids. These will "hydrate" in about a month in the open air. These cartiges change color to indicate that they are "Full". Unfortunately the packing ones do not.

FYI: The replacement cartridges sell for $8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good outcome. Interesting to hear that it also took care of the warping.

Another effective approach is to open up all the components to maximize exposure of surfaces in a small-to-medium room (or even a closet) and expose them to an ozone generator. These devices are somewhat controversial due to questions about the health effects of respiratory exposure to ozone over a long period, but for the two or three days needed to annihilate mold spores and other microscopic evils associated with foul odors, you can't beat them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

Another effective approach is to open up all the components to maximize exposure of surfaces in a small-to-medium room (or even a closet) and expose them to an ozone generator. These devices are somewhat controversial due to questions about the health effects of respiratory exposure to ozone over a long period, but for the two or three days needed to annihilate mold spores and other microscopic evils associated with foul odors, you can't beat them.
I will have to try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
...and Jason Voorhees' ass-crack. It's awful...

It's amazing you were that close to him and lived to post this. You must be very quick on your feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
...and Jason Voorhees' ass-crack. It's awful...

It's amazing you were that close to him and lived to post this. You must be very quick on your feet.

It was the classic slow-moving Jason, the new running around and jumping all over the place Jason would have had me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Desicants will "Hydrate". (The crystals will stop aborbing moisture.) You may need to re-dry them out. I would suggest baking them...

Better yet bake the game with them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to purchase a copy today @ my FLGS and I mentioned the potential for the mold and he opened it up. Whoooeee. I'm sorta allergic to mold so I opted not to take the copy.

Anyone know if they plan on reprinting this?

~telengard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea about a reprint, but I certainly hope they do. This game is far to much fun to let it be buried because of a mold issue. I finally got to play the darn thing tonight. We botched it in a few places, but there's enough strategy there to want to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
any idea what to do with a twisted board? My game was wet, but the gameboard loked dry. After a month, when i left it in the box in my room it got twisted. Is there any chance to straighten it up again? I left it for a week under a heavy load but it seems to be getting back to the funny shape. Shall i moist it carefully and put it under the load agian?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
I went to purchase a copy today @ my FLGS and I mentioned the potential for the mold and he opened it up. Whoooeee. I'm sorta allergic to mold so I opted not to take the copy.

Anyone know if they plan on reprinting this?

~telengard

Recent info from Z-man stated reprint of the game will happen in 2009
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

Somewhat controversial? Outside the US there are specific standards for ventilation in areas with exciting ozone generation. Ever considered that at the cellular level, your lungs and the things you're trying to kill in the game aren't so different?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.