Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the winner going to automatically be the player who has the most shares? If that's the case, then the only strategy really would be to own more than one company in as many rounds as possible, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't usually the player with the most shares. You want shares in the companies that will collect a diverse amount of goods more than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Hi Nate,

Everything else being relatively equal, you can win by having more shares than anyone else, by having better shares, or by operating better (including capturing most or all of the Transcontinental bonus). Usually, it's some combination of the above.

Having more shares is nice, but if getting that extra share or two means only owning poorer companies, you haven't done yourself much, if any, good.

There's a fair bit going on under the hood in this game; it takes a couple of games to begin to get a handle on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally players end up with an equal number of shares - it's the value of those shares in the end game that matters. I thought I had things sewn in the last game I played, getting an extra share and two directorships. I came in convincingly last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There is good discussion of Steel Driver's scoring, for and against and some merely questioning in the Why I sold my copy of Steel Driver thread. I'm still quite on the fence regarding the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
Is the winner going to automatically be the player who has the most shares? If that's the case, then the only strategy really would be to own more than one company in as many rounds as possible, correct?

The companies' final share values can vary pretty drastically. Yeah, having the most shares helps, but if you invested in companies that didn't end up being valuable, you're not going to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.