Subject: Influencing Other Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hagrid
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting situation occurred in a recent game of Euphrat & Tigris . There was an action that the current player could take that would harm another player and benefit me. Would it have been fair to point out the move to the player?

In this case I didn't, because it feels to be against the spirit of the game. However, if the same situation had occurred in a game where alliances are formed (e.g. Chicago Express) it would seem reasonable to discuss a move with someone I'm in alliance with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on the players and the game, but i'm pretty famous for pointing out things that would benefit a player and which also would not harm or also benefit me. i think it's fun and part of the game.
but it def depends on the crowd and the game.

-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down for a game the other day and said something the table made a comment to the effect of 'and Mike's meta-gaming has begun'. Of course, it was Illuminati, so I think it should be part of the game, but to some extent, I think diplomacy is a part of most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And I disagree and think that's being a jerk. I am aware that I do not have unanimous support for my position in the gaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entirely fair to point it out, but you should drop it if that player isn't interested. We find judicious application of the phrase 'Wormtongue' is sufficient to discourage too much backseat driving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I sat down for a game the other day and said something the table made a comment to the effect of 'and Mike's meta-gaming has begun'. Of course, it was Illuminati, so I think it should be part of the game, but to some extent, I think diplomacy is a part of most games.

It's not meta-gaming if it doesn't involve something outside the game. If a move is better for you or something the like wise, IN GAME, then it is simply part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
darlok wrote:
depends on the players and the game, but i'm pretty famous for pointing out things that would benefit a player and which also would not harm or also benefit me. i think it's fun and part of the game.
but it def depends on the crowd and the game.

-
James

Snake in the grass! Snake in the grass!

Nah, the table talk is fun, and should be encouraged. You really see different sides of people that way, and nothing is stopping them from lobbying for something that would harm you, and benifit them.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe 'hints' and such are part of "Player Interaction".

If there were no trash talking, psychology and subtle manipulation, then play a computer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will readily point out ways that newbies can "attack" me while they are learning. But once "it's on", we tend to let players find their own advantages. Of course, games with social components (eg Game of Thrones, Kremlin, even Modern Art), anything goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's much harder to get someone to do something that will harm my opponent and benefit me when I'm playing 2-player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the people I play, our gaming is pretty much cutthroat, so giving a little push every now and then to other players is just accepted AND expected. Everyone is on his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it fair? Of course, why not?

Is it against the "spirit" of the game? A game modelling the competition of emerging kingdoms in the fertile crescent just might be expected to have some diplomacy and politicking.

Is it desirable? That very much depends on your group. My group is always baiting, trashing and griping. Anything less would seem....sterile.

Frankly playing a multiplayer game without fixed alliances where you are silent while your neighbor takes actions that affect you seems unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised that the majority of responses has been favorable so far. If the rules don't include alliances and such, I find it totally unacceptable, and most gamers I know think likewise. Each player should play by his own. It is different, of course, to give hints or point out obvious moves to newbies in the first turns, as long as those moves do not benefit you. But pointing out moves that benefit you or harm other players goes against my gaming etiquette - not to mention the potential to start an argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hagrid
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
It's much harder to get someone to do something that will harm my opponent and benefit me when I'm playing 2-player

Ahhh...the joys of two player Monopoly (or any two-party negotiation). Of course, I'd never want an outcome that outright harms the other party, but will try to obtain the optimum outcome for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Schwendemann
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often find myself pointing out things to everyone, both those that would benefit me and those that would harm me, just to 'help' people make the 'best play.' I know that some people I play with find it annoying, because they could find it on their own without my 'help' or because they want to learn how to do it.

I just don't have it in me to be quiet the whole time other people are taking their turns. I end up wondering what I would do in their position, and that to me helps me play better later on, as I've now considered more possible board positions.

Bottom line, I have no problem if someone points something out on my turn, as I'll consider it and the ramifications of the move, and go from there. I'd certainly understand if not everyone felt this way though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.