Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James R
United States
Philadelphia (Roxborough)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first session report, and I wanted to write it on a particularly memorable and fun BSG session for me. I love this game so much.

edited for clarity: apparently I am not that good yet

The Players, in turn order: Baltar, Helo, Starbuck (me), Roslin and the Chief. The Chief was the only brand new player at the table, and we basically elected him to the roll for various reasons (he came late). The rest of us have a lot of hours of BSG under our belts. Roslin becomes the president, and Helo is the Admiral. Loyalty cards are dealt and I am not a cylon.

Part 1:

The opening started about normal, I didn’t even hop in the viper before the first jump. And the jump was a 1. Everyone was thinking the same thing.

During the next round we ended up getting two attack cards although they were a bit spaced out. One was the 33 card. We had some ridiculous number of raiders. I hopped in a raptor and was busy being amazing. Anyways, progress was much too slow. Eventually Roslin gets to look at someone’s loyalty cards (because we fail the check). Roslin chooses Helo’s, and announces he is not a cylon.

Now comes the fun part, With the 33 out we jump, and up comes another 1 distance. Two jumps, two distance (on the bonus we have a lot of fuel). THE ADMIRAL HAS TO BE A CYLON!

On my very next turn, I get a skill check to look at someone’s loyalty cards. Roslin plays a lot of cards, everyone else plays a few cards, we pass but there are some BIG negatives in there. I think this was my reasoning behind choosing to look at Roslin’s cards rather than Helo’s. In hindsight I am not sure exactly why I picked this, probably because the guy playing Roslin had a swarthy look. Regardless, I demand his card, fliped it over, and he’s a toaster.

CYLON! I yell, accusations fly. Helo says something like "oh no you’re not are you". At this point I know I have made my two cylons. Roslin doesn’t reveal, but keeps picking quorum cards.

Now comes the second funny part. We are still not on the sleeper phase, and Baltar on his turn decides to use his ability to look at Roslin. What Is He Doing? Why waste it now? Cylon! Anyhow he declares Roslin is a cylon. I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT! On my turn I try to throw Roslin in the brig but to no avail. Now we are failing checks. Finally someone gets the crisis that changes the presidency. I encourage everyone to fail it. We fail it miserably, and Roslin gives the presidency to the Chief (the new guy). I fail again to throw Roslin in the bring, then finally Roslin reveals, damaging moral. Helo goes "Crap", I bang the table victoriously. One problem solved. We jump, and it is a 2. New loyalty cards are dealt. I am still not a cylon (I never am).

Part 2:

So now I am convinced I have the cylons pegged, but this does not last long. Why, because we humans had a pretty easy time of it from here on. We had no failed skill checks (except when we wanted to), no attacks that were not easily dealt with, and we were good on all our resources, although moral was running low. President Chief tried twice to raise it, but he is not very inspirational apparently.

We jump again and it’s a 1 distance. I am convinced the Admiral is a cylon, but no one is supporting me at this point. Another cylon detector comes up on my turn, but we fail miserably. The big bad cards were Blue, Purple and one red. Baltar asks chief how many cards he played (he played a lot). I ask Balter how many he played. Helo only played a single card, and there were far more than 4 bad cards in there. I tell Balter it would have been nice if he had kept his ability until now (I can be a jerk). Next turn 33 comes out again. The humans are in chaos

We jump again, and it’s a 2. C’mon! At this point, I am beginning to suspect the Humans are not going to get out of this one. We are still passing most of our checks, but moral is getting lower and lower. Sabotaging is implicating essentially the three humans who are not me. Great! Then it happens. President Chief announces he finally got an arrest order, and throws the admiral in the brig. Nice! I am so happy because now I’m admiral. Baltar expresses his displeasure with this decision. Then 33 comes out AGAIN! Baltar has an uneventful turn. Helo scouts the deck and leaves the top crisis card for me. OK. I pull my cards, launch in a viper, blast away, and look at the crisis. It’s a great card. I look at the chief "I got you made".

He reveals on his next turn, throws Baltar in the brig, and chuckles madly (you have to know him, he's a good chuckler).

Conclusion:

We managed to get everyone out of the brig using a lot of XO cards, and jumped again, but with two cylons back to back, and having taken this long to get this far, we kinda knew it was only a matter of time. In the end moral killed us, and we were a jump space away from ending the game with a die roll. The new guy played his hand perfectly. He was almost caught by Baltar but played it perfectly. And to top it off, Helo, who was not a cylon, never saw a 3. The worst part for the humans though was probably that by jump distance 7, I had no idea who the cylon was. I felt betrayed, I felt manipulated, I felt wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good game, but you might work a bit on slowing down your recap and ensuring you're being clear about who is doing what. While I was able to figure it out eventually, there were several places where it was confusing as to who was doing what... your use of the pronoun "he" when it wasn't always clear which person you were referring to is the most obvious. I also had to struggle to make sure I knew who the Admiral and President were at each point as you didn't always clarify that either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun game
james1282 wrote:
We managed to get everyone out of the brig using a lot of ex-orders
How did executive orders help you out of the brig? Just letting people try to get out with the skill when it wasn't thier turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United States
Philadelphia (Roxborough)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So to begin with only I (starbuck) was out of the brig. So I parked myself on Colonial One to draw cards that help people to get out of the brig (sorry I don't have the board in front of me). So what would happen is they would play XO on me so I could draw a lot of cards, then I would play it on them so they would be able to get out, then move, then take another action (like consolidate power). After the Chief revealed, We managed to spring Helo on my next turn and Baltar one turn later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.