G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game.

Iron Man Battling Card Game was recently published as Transformers Battling Card Game with a difference of 3 added cards, but essentially the same game play.

THE THREE ADDITIONAL CARDS

Iron Man Battling Card Game is a very light War-like game where two players compare cards and the one with the highest value wins the battle.

One difference is that both players draw from exactly alike decks to obtain a hand of seven cards from which they manage each battle. (think Raj.)

The other difference is that there are two types of cards, number value cards and special ability cards, with which the player may do something other than simply compare his card value against the other player's card. This includes discarding the other player's cards, replacing his own, drawing additional cards, etc.

The game is played in five rounds of three battles each. Each round the players draw seven (additional) cards and lay down three face down cards, which are then revealed one by one.
Card values are added up, and the hand with the highest value wins the battle. The losing player may select to continue battling (by placing additional cards) or concede a loss.

In the event of both revealing special cards, both are discarded. Otherwise, a single special card reveals a special condition which must be automatically met.

The suggested age is 6+ which sounds about right, but there is no reason why older players could not enjoy it. I can tell you it was a hit with my seven year old.

If you enjoy something like Battle Line and (for some reason) want a simplified version, a simple, easily portable, luck-of-the-draw based, filler-type with some bluffing game this is for you.

Regarding card stock.

I own all versions, and while the Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers version is made of thick card stock, it is also rigid thus easily bent/folded while shuffling. The Iron Man Battling Card Game is made of very flexible but also thin stock, but way better than the Transformers Battling Card Game edition.

The card stock is now acceptable. It is still thin, but much better than previous editions.

The card design.

The card design is superior in the Iron Man Battling Card Game version and slightly better than the Transformers Battling Card Game, it features actual design. The Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers design is bland, using bad, fuzzy screen grabs for the most part. Also, neither of the characters is as iconic as, say, Darth Vader. As much as people like the tattoo demon guy, I find him ridiculous.

Some comments about scoring.

Personally, the scoring is the most fiddly aspect. I'll come up with something better for us. You have to keep track of three (repetitive) rounds (where you score either 1 or 2 points) five times. Waiting three rounds before scoring can be confusing if you want to focus on the enjoyment of the (light) game.
Maybe by using three counters for each three rounds, then advancing a pawn on the cards (very much like Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers,) rather than flipping cards it would work better.
I'll think of something.

If you don't own any of the versions, this one is the way to go.

Note: This edition fixes the typo from the Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea this existed, thanks Herman.

I'm guessing the card mix is exactly the same. While this would be neat to have, I don't know if I can justify owning the same game three times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people were looking for the Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers as it was going out of print. At least it is nice for people still looking to know there are additional options.

I actually own all three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence K
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Herman - I also didn't know there was a new version.

One question - could you describe the three added cards per deck? Just curious what has changed and if it makes the game any better.

Lawrence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a photo of the additional cards. If you got the Transformers Battling Card Game, then you also got some blank cards marked DISCARD, which we use for picking up cards, they simply decided to use them for the game instead of throwing them out.

The game is probably unaffected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.