Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An out-loud musing, really: if Dreamblade was made and marketed as a competition game, and a "living" game that would constantly be upgraded and altered (and kept profitable) by periodic expansions -- like Magic -- then why haven't Dreamblade owners dumped their figs yet?

I got into the game after its death and, like Hecatomb, have found it to be a really rewarding play experience with much more bang-for-the-buck on the "dead game" market than I get from most "living" and "fixed" (as in, non-collectible) games. I tend to opt for the "there's a giant box of shared figurines and both players draft from it" mode of play, which negates the special abilities of some figurines that muck around with your reserves/graveyard, and mean other figs like the Butcher aren't really viable for play any more, but more or less it works for fun one-off games with friends.

But given the hyper-competitive nature of a lot of collectible game players, I honestly thought I'd be able to scoop up scads of figs for pennies now that the game is long dead and buried. Instead, I saw a panic-dump of cases on eBay just after the game was discontinued (where I got all my figs), then... nothing, really. People still sell figs on eBay as a secondary market, but at prices relatively close to what they were before the game was dumped by WotC.

Have I underrated the "collector" nature of Dreamblade players? Or the competitive nature, with most buyers still playing and enjoying the game despite a total lack of tourney support? Or is it just a matter of time before spring cleaning kicks in and everyone starts dumping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I was one of those competitive players (I earned enough playing in pro Dreamblade tournaments to be able to pay for a vacation in London. woo.) From what I know of fellow pro players, most of them kept the figures. The game was JUST. THAT GOOD. to the point where people wanted to hold on to what they had. I know I have a bunch of rares, uncommons, etc. stuffed in my closet in case I ever want to play again. (Which I doubt btw, but I am also not willing to sell the minis for pennies on the dollar..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did play a couple of tournaments, but i wouldn't say i was a tournament player.

The game is great, even without the competitive aspect.

Also minis have a bit more intrinsic value than cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
I was one of those competitive players (I earned enough playing in pro Dreamblade tournaments to be able to pay for a vacation in London. woo.) From what I know of fellow pro players, most of them kept the figures. The game was JUST. THAT GOOD. to the point where people wanted to hold on to what they had. I know I have a bunch of rares, uncommons, etc. stuffed in my closet in case I ever want to play again. (Which I doubt btw, but I am also not willing to sell the minis for pennies on the dollar..)

While the game did not live up to the manufacturer's expectations and didn't validate the chosen business model (next great gaming thing, the new Magic: The Gathering, competitive tournament play) it was not, by any means, a failed game.

It has very good playing statistics here on BGG for example, comparable to many board games considered rather popular.

I'm not surprised that the figures are holding their own on the secodnary amrket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cases were going for about $25 on ebay...seems pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Cases were going for about $25 on ebay...seems pretty cheap.

Also $25 a case at Hill's Wholesale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't plan on parting with my minis, dead or not. Your idea about a "living" game is great. If only WOTC would sell the property. cry

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Parsons
United States
Alto
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they are right here?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

$0.05 a fig seems more than reasonable to me.

whelp, seems you're out of luck anyway, he won't ship to Canadia. he might though, you could ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShepherd wrote:
Have I underrated the "collector" nature of Dreamblade players?

I think you've underestimated the tendency in people to :
a) overvalue their own items
b) be hesitant to part with what they used to use
c) be reluctant to sell something for pennies which they know they spent lots of dollars to acquire.

I've noticed the same as you - that even when a game dies, seldom do the players lower the amount of money they expect to get for the game.
Other than the few random people who liquidate, most keep their prices up, through to the bitter end (i.e. when there are very few buyers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've noticed the same as you - that even when a game dies, seldom do the players lower the amount of money they expect to get for the game.

They certainly don't lower the amount they expect to get for out of print games like Space Hulk, Dungeon Quest, Dune, etc...why should a collectible game be any different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Night Fusion is still about as expensive as retail price for the game BEFORE it died, you can find some of the other stuff at really good prices. I just got a booster case of Anvilborn from Dave and Adam's Card World for $31 bucks (with free shipping since I ordered >$50 of stuff on a Thursday). That's just over 2 bucks a booster instead of the minimum 9 or 10 a piece you're still seeing for Night Fusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Doss
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
I just bought 4 base set starter boxes for $4.99 and 25 boxes of base and baxar booster boxes for $.99 each at a local game shop.

So, they are coming down in price and getting blown out in various shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also people on BGG who have figures for trade. I have sets of commons and uncommons along with some of the rares, and plenty of the promo figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in after the game had died, too, and built up a pretty serious collection (about 1,500 minis). I even won a complete base set in at Gencon 2008. But I can't part with them. Maybe if some other game were to scratch the dreamblade itch, then maybe, maybe I might part with them. But so far, no game has come close.

Ah, Dreamblade... I miss you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got 150+ figures including 20 rares and 2 starter sets for $58 on Ebay. Thought that was a pretty good deal - yay for the death of collectability I say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.