Subject: Can you help find a War Game that meets my requirements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Google Flump
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all

Great site here, which I stumbled upon by accident a few days ago. I haven't touched any kind of wargame since Warhammer 40k over 10 years ago...but I've now got an itch to play something again. I've scoured the site but just can't seem to find a game that meets what I am looking for. My basic requirements are:

- Boardgame or miniatures, but if boardgame pieces must look real (ie no cards / counters)

- Setting: WWII, Modern War or Sci-Fi

- Designed for single player, or comes with single player rules, or software available to act as a 2nd player

- A "one box" solution. Where everything I need is contained in one box.

Perhaps I'm being a bit picky, but I just can't seem to find something that I'm 100% satisfied with. I've looked at things like Memoir '44 but am not sure of its suitability as a single player game. Raid on St. Nazaire is a good concept, but I want to play with real pieces, not pieces of card. Tides of Iron looks good, but may be a little complex for a single player game.

I'd consider a game that contains any element of war really from controlling a single character "behind enemy lines", to full scale war. Naval (or space) battles too would be interesting if they met my basic requirements.

So, if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'd be happy to hear from you!

Thanks in advance

Googleflump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I do a lot of single-player, I'm no expert on single-player games. I tend to do multiplayer historical games and just 'play' both sides in order to get a more detailed "feel" of a historical event/battle/campaign.

I am confident, however, that such a game exists that fits you needs exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit looks interesting; maybe there's a solo variant for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games of War contains 39 different sets of rules for miniatures covering everything you've mentioned and more.

You can use the rules for single player games if you choose and there's advice how to do that. The air battles, sub rules, and skirmish and patrol rules are very good for solitaire play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's one I don't often recommend but it fits your parameters--Axis & Allies; pick any iteration. Two to five players. You can buy it as a computer game too.

I play Memoir 44 solo most of the time and it works fine. Of course, the key to playing solo is to take the other side of the table, look at the situation, and make the best move you can. If cards are involved, as in Memoir, play the cards you have and never look at the card drawn until you take that side again (keeps some uncertainty in there).

I don't think I've heard anyone ask about games where the computer takes one side since about the 80s. Didn't know that was still done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Try this ONE too and for FREE "online" against other LIVE 'opponents'! THEN buy a copy and enjoy it with others around there for some "Good Times!"
"ain'ts WE lucky we got`em... GOOD TIMES!"

surprise

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/380594
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Google Flump
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many thanks for the replies so far!

Hour of Glory looks interesting, the only downsides being that I'm not sure if there are any single player rules available and that by default it doesn't come with miniatures (but I guess the set could be upgraded over time). I'm not sure of its availability to the UK market either.

The Games of War is also an interseting idea, which I'll look into further.

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of Axis & Allies...the reason I stumbled across this site was because I was looking for a copy of Risk. I then thought it wouldn't be anyway deep enough to satisfy me, so Axis & Allies seemed a good alternative. Although not everyone's cup of tea, it would probably suit me. My only real concern is how well it would translate to being played solo. I could of course by the computer game (as was suggested) but I would prefer the tactile feel of real pieces when playing. If I was going to plump for Axis & Allies I think it would be the pacific version as there it seems more varied (greater naval / air involvement). Does anyone have any comments as to how well this variant translates to solo play?

Overall though I think memoir '44 is still top of my list as it combines most of what I want, and isn't so complex that it would be a chore to play solo. But keep the suggestions coming, as I'd be interested in other opinions!

Thanks for the help so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what you want from playing solo. If you want to be able to compete against the game (and hence an AI), then M44 and A&A won't work. Now many people play game that are two player, solo, simply playing each side (as mentioned above). This works quite well, but generally speaking games with cards and hidden information like M44 are much worse for this. I like complete open information games, which means if you were looking at Axis and Allies pacific, it might work a lot better for that.

M44 is a good game and I think against an opponent it would be a great choice, I'm not convinced it would be as fun solo, either way though I don't think it is worth having, especially if you can play it with some one else.

I don't have any great recommendations for games, but I think Axis and Allies pacific is my favourite of the series, although I here good stuff about the revised edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.