Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wargameroom.com's Winter 2009 Season Semi-Finals (Game 2 of 3)

E - Armored Recon Patrol
Americans set up 2-6-4 (I dont recall the specifics of the laydown)
I set up 3(SL)-AFV-5(ASL)

I love playing the French with an AFV. With an AFV to burn through high attack cards and 2 infantry groups to work, the French are often able to bury the enemy due to an amazing amount of Card Flow.

Alas, that did not happen this game.

I open up with 3 move cards in my hand and push all 3 groups forward. This is very strong opening because the cover AFV provides adjacent Infantry groups negates the +1 Movement penalties. All 3 find nice patches of open terrain the following turn.

The Americans get an early Sniper that kills a member in Group C. And follow up shortly after with a attack that Buttoned Up the AFV in Group B.

Still with a chance of winning, albeit getting smaller, I lateral transfer C into D to move away from the American firegroup in B. That group stumbles into a Stream in a hand with no Moves to get out.

I am able to burn through 2 cards a turn for several turns through combination of Ordnance attack with AFV and combination of Rally and small Fires.

Then the AFV gun breaks. Since that gun was crucial to my gameplan, I tried to repair it immediately the following turn. The clumsy French decided to break the gun instead. So my Buttoned Up AFV now has a broken ordnance weapon.

The Americans begin moving into solid defensive terrain (-3 Building/-3 Building/Woods+Entrenchment). And the French Group D is able to get out of the Stream into a Wall.

At this point, the probability of the French winning is incredibly small. So I am looking for an opportunity to push closer towards getting closer to RC4.

At RR2, the Americans are able to pin some of French Group D at RC2 and then drop them in a Wire the following turn. The lack of Rally cards begins to wither French Group D down to 2 men.

Frustrated with how this game is progressing, I immediately push Group A and Group B forward to RC2. And into moderate terrain the following turn.

From there, the Americans are able to keep Group A pinned with attacks that eventually breaks the French squad shortly into the 2nd deck.

I'm not really sure what I could have done differently this game.
-----------------------------------------
So I ended the regular season with a record of 7 wins out of 15 games played. I managed to sneak through the playoffs in a scenario where I was a large underdog. And lost the Semi-Finals in 2. The first game was lost mainly due to my play mistakes, and the second game was lost largely to being on the wrong end of a generous deck.

This is really a great format to learn the game. I can't wait to start the next season already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only vaguely familiar with this game. Why were the French fighting the Americans? Vichy French? SS volunteers? Hypothetical battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doctor X wrote:
I am only vaguely familiar with this game. Why were the French fighting the Americans? Vichy French? SS volunteers? Hypothetical battle?

I'm not really certain which battle it is supposed to represent to be honest. This scenario chart that comes with the Desert War expansion just lays out all nationalities with an Attacker OB and all nationalities with a Defender OB. That can probably lead to some interesting (and ahistorical) pairings: Germans/Japanese, British/Americans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not really certain which battle it is supposed to represent to be honest. This scenario chart that comes with the Desert War expansion just lays out all nationalities with an Attacker OB and all nationalities with a Defender OB. That can probably lead to some interesting (and ahistorical) pairings: Germans/Japanese, British/Americans.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. I suppose it could be argued that if it's a Desert scenario, then it's the Western Task Force vs. Vichy near Casablanca somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doctor X wrote:
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Not saying it makes sense. Its just what is in the rules.

I'm curious how those who view the game as a simulation of a historical conflict would view the question though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ChemEng wrote:
Doctor X wrote:
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Not saying it makes sense. Its just what is in the rules.

I'm curious how those who view the game as a simulation of a historical conflict would view the question though.

I wasn't being sarcastic; I meant your answer was logical; i.e., the OB for both sides is the way it is because that's how the chart said they would be.

Incidentally, wasn't this one of those games that (perhaps unfairly) garnered some minor controversy around it about the artwork and/or perceived pro-German bias?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargameroom's Internet Up Front program randomly determines scenario selection and nationalities/sides for each player. French (Vichy/Free) & Italians (before/after Fall of Musolini's gov't) can be considered on either Axis or Allied side and any Allied can fight any Axis except Japan vs. Italy

It is a weighted draw, so Germans vs. Russians is more common than French vs. Americans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of the rules, there exists a table of plausible historical matchups. US vs. French is one of them. As previously mentioned ,based on the happenings in Algeria. I've even seen a short historical campaign with Americans fighting French. I believe that one first feautered in an issue of "The General".

And, Scott. If you read rule 53 in the Desert War rules set, you'll find that the original rules actually do say something about valid historical matchups.

And if you're eager to put the Italians up against the Japanes and want to find some historical background for that, just consider the Italians to be Chinese. That has been suggested before.

Or, you could let Patton have it his way and let the Americans and British fight the Soviets.

When it comes to British vs. Americans, that one's a bit tougher, but I'm sure WWII, like all armed conflicts, had a large number of "friendly fire" incidents and failed intelligence. Anyway, you can't possibly say it didn't happen.

When it comes to historical accuracy in this game, I'm more concerned about the hardware than who fought who (cause that can always be arranged as you see). This means that I, when I play historical campaigns don't allow Panther tanks to operate in a campaign taking place in 1941. Just to give an example. I instead put together a selection for both sides of vehicles that were operational at the given time. Or closely related to vehicles that were operational. And the historical accuracy of that is undiscussable. There were no Panthers around in 1941. That you can say for 100% sure.

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
stroar wrote:
And, Scott. If you read rule 53 in the Desert War rules set, you'll find that the original rules actually do say something about valid historical matchups.

Great! I've really only read the Desert rules for terrain and the scenario map. Guess I need to check out Rule 53 as well.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Houzar
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Quote:
French (Vichy/Free) & Italians (before/after Fall of Musolini's gov't) can be considered on either Axis or Allied side

Only French are on both sides. Italians are only Axis in the IUF program. Confirmed with Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.